We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Sunbasket gets our vote for the best Mediterranean meal delivery. See what other services make this Blue Zone eating easier than ever.
- Best overall: Sunbasket | Skip to review
- Best organic: Green Chef | Skip to review
- Best budget: HelloFresh | Skip to review
- Best frozen: BistroMD | Skip to review
- Best for families: Home Chef | Skip to review
- Best gluten-free: ModifyHealth | Skip to review
- Best vegan: Daily Harvest | Skip to review
- Best variety: Territory Foods | Skip to review
The Mediterranean diet has been well studied for its many potential health benefits. But because it uses lots of fresh, unprocessed ingredients — abundant vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes, lean proteins, nuts and seeds, monounsaturated fat in the form of olive oil — following it may mean spending more time than you’d like in the kitchen.
Meal delivery services can make it easy to follow the Mediterranean diet and add new healthy (and delicious) dishes to mealtime.
We’ve tested close to 30 meal delivery services, and these are the ones with the best Mediterranean meals at a great value.
|• $9.99+ prepared meals
• $11.49+ meal kits
|• 99% organic eggs, dairy, tofu, and produce
• responsibly sourced meat and seafood
• pasture-raised and grass-fed protein options
|• organic produce and eggs
• proteins raised with high animal welfare standards
|• some organic ingredients
• hormone-free chicken and pork
|most of the menu
|• some organic ingredients
• environmentally responsible seafood
• hormone-free chicken and beef
|some organic produce and proteins
|• mostly organic produce
• grass-fed meat, free-range poultry, and sustainable fish
|most of the menu
|more than 90% organic ingredients
|some organic produce and proteins
We outline how we test meal kits here. To choose the best Mediterranean meal delivery, we also considered:
- Ingredient quality: Services on this list feature fresh, high quality ingredients that are mostly unprocessed and organic or sustainably sourced.
- Price: Each service provides a good value for the price. Prices are accurate as of the date of publication.
- Variety: Services offer a variety of meal options, including meals that are suitable for the Mediterranean diet. We’ve indicated a range for the number of Mediterranean diet-friendly meals each service offers each week, though this may vary.
- Taste and ease of preparation: We tried many of these services to find out whether they offered a good variety of flavors and textures. Plus, we noted how long each meal took to prepare. The meal kit companies provided sample kits for free for us to test.
- Sustainability: Most services use eco-friendly packaging that’s recyclable, reusable, or compostable.
Why you can trust us
Every meal delivery service on our list has been reviewed by registered dietitians and vetted to ensure that it aligns with Healthline’s brand integrity standards and approach to well-being. Each service in this article:
- is in compliance with USDA and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food safety and manufacturing regulations
- uses a trusted shipper to handle its food products
- lists all ingredients, allergens, and nutrition facts on its website or product packaging
- promotes a healthy approach to well-being
- does not make unsupported health claims on its website or marketing materials
Based on the consumption of unprocessed foods, including fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, fish, and heart-healthy fats such as olive oil, the Mediterranean diet is recognized as one of the healthiest ways to eat.
In fact, this diet is among those credited with helping people live healthier and far longer than average in so-called blue zones around the world.
The Mediterranean diet has been
- It can improve
heart healthand may be tied to a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.
- It may help
preventcertain chronic conditions and could be associated with a lower risk of premature death, cancer, and metabolic disease.
- It may be as effective for weight loss as several other popular eating patterns, including low fat and low carb diets.
- In addition to supporting weight loss and heart health in people with type 2 diabetes, the Mediterranean diet can
improveblood sugar regulation.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Mediterranean diet, check out this article. You might also consider speaking with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian for additional guidance.
When deciding which meal delivery service is right for you, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Menu: Review the sample menu to determine whether there are options suitable for your dietary needs and food preferences.
- Time and preparation required: Though some services provide dishes that are fully cooked and prepared, others include basic ingredients and recipe cards for making your own Mediterranean meals at home.
- Cost: In addition to the price of each meal, you should account for other fees, including charges for shipping or optional add-ons.
Additionally, while all the services listed above include meals that can be enjoyed while following the Mediterranean diet, some make it easier than others to find suitable options. For example, while Sunbasket offers a Mediterranean diet meal plan, the others require you to determine whether a meal is a good fit.
Finally, keep in mind that not all meal delivery services are available in all areas. While all the services included in this article deliver to most areas within the contiguous United States, it’s always a good idea to double-check that a service is available in your zip code.
Our pick for the best Mediterranean diet meal delivery service is Sunbasket, thanks to its high quality ingredients; healthy, tasty meals; and variety of plans.
But several other services on our list are also great options, depending on your needs and preferences. For example, if you’re looking for prepared, plant-based Mediterranean options, either Daily Harvest or Green Chef may be the best option for you.
HelloFresh does not follow the Mediterranean diet specifically. However, many of the recipes on the menu are suitable for the Mediterranean diet, and others can be easily adapted as needed.
Some research has also shown that it could be associated with short-term weight loss.
For instance, one study found that people with overweight or obesity who stuck to a Mediterranean diet and reduced their carb intake in the evening lost an average of 20 pounds (lb), or 9 kilograms (kg) in a 6-month period.
But keep in mind that many factors can affect how quickly you lose weight, including certain medical conditions, your physical activity level, and your body size.
Losing weight gradually, at a steady rate of 1–2 lb (0.5–0.9 kg) per week, can help you reach a moderate weight and maintain it long term.
The Mediterranean diet is a popular eating plan associated with a long list of health benefits.
Several meal delivery services can help you save time while following the diet by providing fully prepared Mediterranean meals or pre-portioned ingredients with recipe cards to make fresh, flavorful meals on your own.
Any of the services on our list can help you start enjoying Mediterranean meals, with minimal work, right away.