We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Frozen meals offer a quick and easy solution for lunch or dinner. Read about the services providing the best taste, value, and nutritional bang for your buck.
- Best plant-based: Splendid Spoon | Skip to review
- Best affordable: Daily Harvest | Skip to review
- Best for families: Mosaic Foods | Skip to review
- Best for older adults: Magic Kitchen | Skip to review
- Best for weight loss: BistroMD | Skip to review
- Best healthy frozen meal delivery: MealPro | Skip to review
Frozen meals are convenient options that require very little meal prep or cooking. But the ones you buy at the grocery store are often heavily processed, containing artificial preservatives, flavors, and colorings. They can also be high in sodium and trans fats.
Frozen meal delivery services offer the convenience of frozen meals but contain higher quality ingredients and are often healthier. Many also cater to different dietary preferences. Read on for our top choices.
Price per serving: $9.99–$13.49
Known for: plant-based, gluten-free frozen meals
About: Splendid Spoon offers a large menu of frozen plant-based soups, noodle and grain bowls, plus refrigerated smoothies, that are 100% gluten-free and mostly organic, earning it a spot on our list of Best Plant-Based Meal Delivery.
It features a variety of meals on its rotating weekly menu with three to five new flavors added seasonally. Current meal options include:
- Vegan Meatballs & Marinara Noodles
- Cauliflower Tikka
- Moroccan Lentil Stew
Plans include a mix-and-match box of 7, 14, or 21 meals per week. There is a $12.99 delivery fee per order, though if you get 10 or more meals, shipping is free. You can also order individual frozen meals without a subscription through the Splendid Spoon Marketplace.
Good to know: Meals are made in kitchens that protect against cross-contamination. However, soups and smoothies are made in a facility that sometimes handles common allergens such as dairy, eggs, peanuts, wheat, and soy.
Highlights: Splendid Spoon uses only non-GMO ingredients and prioritizes organic produce for the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen list.
- vegan and gluten-free
- suitable for those with celiac disease or other gluten-related disorders
- doesn’t take up much freezer space
- option to subscribe or purchase meals on-demand
- doesn’t offer larger meals with sides
- not ideal for those on a keto or low carb diet
Price per serving: $5.99–$11.99
Known for: plant-based, gluten-free meals, smoothies, and snacks
About: Daily Harvest is a 100% plant-based, gluten- and preservative-free frozen meal delivery service with over 80 options to choose from, including smoothies, oat bowls, chia bowls, lattes, harvest bowls, flatbreads, snack bites, and even plant-based ice creams.
This service is ideal for those seeking a variety of healthy meal choices without a hefty price tag.
Customers can choose weekly delivery of 9, 12, or 24 options, or monthly delivery with 24 items.
Some of the popular menu items include:
- Mint and Cacao Smoothie
- Cauliflower Rice and Pesto Harvest Bowl
- Mulberry and Dragon Fruit Oat Bowl
Good to know: Daily Harvest is committed to sustainability with recyclable or compostable packaging and aims for 100% recyclable packaging. However, some items, particularly the harvest bowls, may take up more freezer space due to their shape.
Highlights: Daily Harvest works directly with farmers and describes its ingredients as being thoughtfully sourced. Currently, 95% of the ingredients are organic, and all items are free of preservatives, additives, and fillers.
- large variety of items
- gluten-free, vegan, and free of preservatives
- customers choose exactly which and how many items they receive
- great for breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and light dinners
- shipping is free
- meals may not be filling enough for all adults
- some items require additional liquids, such as plant-based milk or vegetable broth
- not suitable for those with severe food allergies
Best for families
Price per serving: $6–$12
Known for: plant-based family meals
About: Founded with the goal of making plant-based eating easy, Mosaic Foods offers fully prepared, frozen entrées brimming with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Mosaic Foods is based in New York and sources most of its ingredients from farms and distributors located in New York’s Hudson Valley region.
Popular meal options include:
- Buffalo Cauliflower Pasta Bake
- BBQ “Meatloaf” & Sweet Potato Mash
- Enchilada Verde Bake
Shipping cost varies by the number of items ordered. Shipping for 6 items costs $9.99, but is free for 12 or 18 items.
Good to know: The family meals are compact, minimizing freezer space requirements. While most entrées typically need about 1 hour in the oven, some may require up to 90 minutes for optimal cooking.
Highlights: Mosaic focuses on local sourcing and plant-based nutrition.
- offers family-sized meals
- uses locally sourced ingredients
- family meals reheated in the same container they arrive in
- meals are free of added sugar, preservatives, and artificial ingredients
- option to mix and match single-serving and family-size items
- family meal options don’t currently rotate
- delivery may not be available depending on order volume in your area
Best for older adults
Price per serving: $10–$14.50
Known for: Nutritious meals designed for older adults, vegetarians, and people with conditions like kidney disease or type 2 diabetes
About: Magic Kitchen can be a good option for older adults who have difficulty grocery shopping and cooking.
Magic Kitchen is the best delivery service for older adults, as they offer meals designed by registered dietitians. These meals are lower in sodium and meet this population’s unique nutritional needs.
In addition to being low in sodium, Magic Kitchen offers meals for those with certain chronic conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, or kidney disease.
Meals can be ordered à la carte, allowing individuals to choose exactly how much food they want to order. Entrées and sides can be ordered on their own or as complete meals, which include one entrée and one to two sides, but keep in mind, meals are designed to serve two to four people.
Some meal options include:
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Beef Stroganoff with Noodles
- Lemon Rosemary Pork
As some older adults may have difficulty remembering to place their order every week, there’s an option to sign up for the Seniors Meal Program, which features meals that are auto-shipped weekly, biweekly, or monthly.
Shipping is on the expensive side, starting at $18.95, but initial orders over $100 include free shipping.
Good to know: The meals are delivered in recyclable packaging and can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. While most meals can be microwaved, a few, such as the chicken pot pie, require reheating in the oven.
Highlights: Magic Kitchen offers the option to order over the phone. This may suit people who have difficulty with the Internet, as well as those who prefer to avoid it.
- meals designed by registered dietitians to meet older adults’ nutritional needs
- menus available for chronic conditions, such as kidney or heart disease
- option to order over the phone
- offers both à la carte and complete meals
- some items require an oven for reheating
- relatively expensive, especially with the cost of shipping
Best for weight loss
Price per serving: $9.50–$13
Known for: calorie-controlled meals for weight loss
About: BistroMD specializes in calorie-controlled meals designed to promote weight loss, and offers unique plans for menopause, diabetes, heart health, and gluten-free needs.
Meals arrive fully cooked, frozen, and ready to reheat. Although BistroMD chooses which meals you’ll receive, you’re able to choose substitutions for any meal if it doesn’t sound appetizing.
Their meals are also free of freeze-dried ingredients and the artificial sweetener aspartame, and hand-cooked in small batches.
On BistroMD, you can choose the “Full Program” option for 5 or 7 days, which provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can also choose only lunches and dinners for 5 or 7 days. You can also purchase snacks for an additional fee.
The large menu includes dishes like:
- Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Marsala
- Blackened Chicken with Creamy Smoked Paprika Sauce
- Green Chile Pork with Southwest Salsa
Meals are shipped weekly and shipping costs $19.95 per order.
Good to know: Although full nutrient information for each meal is detailed on the packaging, you’re unable to view it on the website without joining the service.
Highlights: BistroMD’s focus on creating dietitian-designed meals specifically for weight loss sets it apart, offering a practical solution for those on a weight loss journey.
- over 150 meals on their menu
- custom plans for diabetes, menopause, heart health, and gluten-free diets
- provides breakfasts as well as lunch and dinner entrees
- you don’t choose the meals you will receive each week
- no keto or plant-based meal plan options
Most healthy frozen meal delivery
Price per serving: $8.99–$18.99
Known for: Customizable healthy meals
About: One of the drawbacks of many meal delivery services is that there’s no way to customize your meals to meet your preferences. However, MealPro allows you to make a few key adjustments to your meals so that they fit your needs more exactly.
This frozen meal delivery service offers a variety of meals to choose from each week, along with options to add extra protein to every meal. Some meals also allow you to add or remove carbs, add double veggies, and add or remove extras and sauces like bacon, guacamole, soy sauce, or barbecue sauce.
Some of the meal options include:
- Atlantic Salmon
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- Vegetarian Quinoa Bowl
You can choose to order 18 or 20 meals per shipment. MealPro doesn’t currently offer a subscription plan. Shipping varies based on the size of your order and your location.
Good to know: MealPro’s service is particularly suited for those following specific diets such as keto, high-protein, or low-carb, thanks to its customization capabilities.
Highlights: In addition to customizing your meals, you can choose to order certain meats, plant-based protein sources, or sides by the pound to create your own meals.
- can customize meals with extra protein, extra veggies, or removing carbs
- can order protein sources by the pound
- requires a large minimum order
- no subscription option available
|Types of items offered
• grain bowls
• noodle bowls
• snack bars
• wellness shots
• oat bowls
• chia bowls
• grain bowls
• snack bites
• plant-based ice cream
|• family meals
• veggie bowls
• oat bowls
• chef-crafted entrées
• kidney disease
• low sodium
• low carb
• low fat
|• lunch and dinner entrées
• side dishes
• heart health
| • breakfasts
• lunch and dinner entrées
• low carb
• high protein
|• lunch and dinner entrées
• proteins and veggies by the pound
* Plus an added shipping fee per order
The nutritional value of frozen meals can vary widely. In general, the nutrient content of frozen food is comparable to that of fresh food, making these meals a good choice if you need a convenient and flexible meal option.
One notable consideration is the sodium content. Many frozen meals are higher in sodium compared with freshly prepared, home-cooked meals. If you’re following a sodium-restricted diet, choosing a service like Magic Kitchen, which offers low sodium options, can be beneficial.
There can also be some disadvantages in terms of quality and texture with frozen meals. For instance, uneven reheating can be a challenge, especially for meals with multiple components. Some frozen foods may also release excess liquid upon reheating, potentially affecting the meal’s appeal.
Ultimately, while frozen meals provide ease and convenience, it’s important to be mindful of their nutritional content, reheating methods, and sodium levels. Opting for meals from services that prioritize quality ingredients and offer a variety of dietary options can help make sure that your frozen meal choices align with your health and nutrition goals.
The frozen meal delivery services on this list were chosen based on the quality of their ingredients, variety of food options, and ability to cater to specific diets.
All the services included have been vetted to ensure that they meet Healthline’s medical and business standards.
To help you choose the meal delivery service that’s right for you, consider the following factors:
- Dietary needs and preferences: It’s most important to choose a company with a variety of options that fit your specific dietary needs, such as vegan, gluten-free, or keto meals. Having more options to choose from makes it easier to stick with your diet and can provide greater diversity of foods and nutrients.
- Ingredient quality: Some individuals may prefer a service offering meals that are free of preservatives or contain mostly organic ingredients to reduce their exposure to pesticides. If you’re ordering meals containing meat or animal products, you may want to opt for a service that’s transparent about where it sources its meat from.
- Sustainable packaging: As frozen meals are often packaged in single servings inside of an insulated cooler, the packing materials can quickly add up. For sustainability purposes, look for companies that use recyclable packaging.
- Price: Cost is another important consideration. Along with calculating the price per meal, you’ll want to factor in any additional costs, such as shipping or minimum order amounts.
Frozen meal delivery services make it easy and convenient to enjoy a nutritious meal that fits your nutritional needs.
As there are many services to pick from, it’s important to look for a company that provides a good variety of meals that fit your specific dietary and food preferences.
In addition to the types of meals provided, be sure to consider the quality of ingredients, sustainability, packaging, and price when choosing the best frozen meal delivery service for you.