We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best for HIIT workouts: Carbon HIIT H7 Cardio Trainer
- Best multipurpose: Carbon EL
- Best affordable: Hybrid Trainer XT
Visit any gym or fitness center and you’ll see that the elliptical is one of the most popular machines in the cardio area. And for good reason — it can help you get a solid aerobic workout to strengthen your heart, lungs, and muscles, which may help boost your endurance.
What’s more, ellipticals can be useful for performing high intensity interval training (HIIT) and steady-state workouts, targeting both your upper and lower body, burning body fat, and improving your balance.
They also provide a great workout option if you want to put less stress on your joints — for example, if you’re recovering from an injury and need to take a break from another activity, such as running.
One of the most popular exercise equipment brands that manufactures ellipticals is ProForm. ProForm offers three series of ellipticals: HIIT trainers, carbon machines, and hybrid machines.
The HIIT trainers are, as you might imagine, most appropriate if you seek intense workouts that will engage various muscle groups and help you burn calories beyond your workout.
The carbon series comprises compact options that offer both resistance and ramp control as you build strength.
Finally, the hybrid machines combine the features of the elliptical with those of a recumbent bike, which may make it the perfect choice if you’re a fan of cycling or spin sessions.
To narrow down our picks for the three best ProForm ellipticals, we considered the following criteria:
- Price: We included ProForm elliptical machines that provide a good value for the cost.
- Features: We looked for ProForm elliptical machines with a variety of features.
- Interactive capabilities. We saught ProForm elliptical machines that feature interactive capabilities.
A note on price
General price ranges with dollar signs ($ to $$$) are indicated below. One dollar sign means the product is rather affordable, whereas three dollar signs indicate a higher cost.
Prices range from $550–$1,403, though this may vary depending on where you shop.
- $ = under $600
- $$ = $600—$1,000
- $$$ = above $1,000
When choosing an elliptical machine, you’ll want to assess what exactly you’re looking for.
Are you looking for specific interactive workouts to regularly incorporate into your routine? A cross-training alternative to get you through a sports injury? Or a simple go-to cardio machine without frills?
Some key factors to consider may include:
- Your fitness needs. Your exercise goals can help you narrow down the pros and cons of each model.
- Training options. You may want a machine that includes preset workouts, and the types of workouts (and availability of streamable classes) may influence your decision. Also, the flywheel weight and intensities offered by the resistance levels may be important.
- Special features. It’s key to note whether you’d prefer to have a touchscreen or LCD with the ability to stream classes or rather use your own device. Also, consider whether the machine comes with speakers or you’ll need to use headphones.
- Stride length. A shorter stride length is usually not ideal for taller people.
- Price. It’s always important to consider your budget when investing in potentially expensive exercise equipment.
By narrowing down your preferences, you’ll more easily find your favorite of ProForm’s five elliptical offerings.
Here are the 3 best ProForm ellipticals.
Best for HIIT workouts
ProForm Carbon HIIT H7 Cardio Trainer
- Dimensions: 29.25 inches (74.3 cm) wide × 52 inches (132.1 cm) deep × 66.7 inches (169.42 cm) tall
- Maximum weight capacity: 325 pounds (147.42 kg)
- Warranty: 10 years for the frame, 2 years for parts, and 1 year for warranty
- 24 resistance levels with silent magnetic resistance
- 7-inch (17.8-cm) smart HD touchscreen
- iFit-enabled and comes with a 3-year family membership
This elliptical is the best option for HIIT lovers, as it comes with a 3-year iFit membership to easily cater to those preferences.
It’s tailored for HIIT lovers with its 10-inch (25.4-cm) vertical and 5-inch (12.7-cm) horizontal elliptical paths, which help burn more calories, build more strength, and combine upper body punching actions to simulate climbing and boxing moves.
It’s also equipped with an electrocardiogram (EKG) grip pulse sensor to measure your heart rate, a 30-pound (13.61-kg) effective, inertia-enhanced flywheel, cushioned pedals, multifunctional handlebars, a Cool Aire workout fan, and an audio auxiliary port with Bluetooth speakers.
However, keep in mind that the short stride length might not be optimal for taller users, as those over 6 feet (182.9 cm) tend to do better with at least a 20-inch (50.8-cm) stride length.
And if you’re not a HIIT devotee, you’re probably better off choosing a more affordable option — although this product does offer a 36-month payment program with a 0% annual percentage rate (APR).
Best multipurpose option
ProForm Carbon EL
- Dimensions: 25 inches wide (63.5 cm) × 68.5 inches deep (174 cm) × 67.75 inches (172.1 cm) tall
- Maximum weight capacity: 300 pounds (136.1 kg)
- Warranty: 10 years for the frame, 1 year for labor
- 18 levels of resistance with silent magnetic resistance
- 5-inch (12.7-cm) high contrast LCD
- iFit Bluetooth-Smart-enabled
This elliptical is a more affordable option for those who seek fewer frills and more versatility.
By streaming global outdoor workouts on its high contrast LCD with an iFit membership, its live trainer control can match the machine’s resistance to the workout’s intensity, allowing you to build strength and avoid boredom.
It’s also compact and built with transport wheels so you can roll it away for simple storage in small spaces. Other features include an EKG grip pulse sensor, a 19-inch (48.26-cm) power adjustable stride length, and an integrated tablet holder.
Additionally, it comes with a 15-pound (6.8-kg) effective, inertia-enhanced flywheel and an audio auxiliary port with speakers.
The product offers an interest-free 18-month payment plan.
Best affordable option
ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT
- Dimensions: 60.5 inches (153.7 cm) tall × 24.5 inches (62.23 cm) wide × 70.5 inches (179.1 cm) deep
- Maximum weight capacity: 350 pounds (158.8 kg)
- Warranty: 5 years for the frame, 90 days for parts and labor
- 16 digital resistance levels with silent magnetic resistance
This hybrid trainer is not only the most affordable of ProForm’s elliptical offerings but also the most versatile as a two-in-one elliptical and recumbent bike.
With iFit, you can experience its collection of GlobeTrek workouts from certified personal trainers who will virtually take you all over the world. The adjustable cushioned seat also offers a lumbar support design, and the soft-grip handlebars will help engage your whole body.
Other features include an EKG grip pulse sensor, 16 workouts, and a larger integrated tablet holder. As such, one key drawback is that you’ll need your own separate device to stream classes, as this elliptical doesn’t come with a touchscreen.
Another potential downside: This machine has a shorter stride length at 15 inches (38.1 cm), which could make for uncomfortable riding if you’re over 5’7″ (170.2 cm) tall.
As you can see, the three ProForm ellipticals compared above vary in size, price, features, and more.
By calculating your budget and determining what you’re looking for in an elliptical trainer to meet your individual fitness goals, you can narrow down which is the best ProForm elliptical for you — whether you’re a first-time elliptical user or seasoned pro.
Just remember to speak with a healthcare professional before beginning any new exercise plan. Once you get their OK, any of these ProForm ellipticals can take you on a fitness journey right from the comfort of your home.