Roman is a men’s health service that specializes in treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) and other men’s health treatments.
Let’s take a close look at Roman: their services, what’s behind the hype of their popular ED treatments, other products you can try, and whether they’re worth checking out.
Roman, or Get Roman, grew out of a company founded in 2017 called Ro.
Ro was first started with the intention of providing what’s called an “end-to-end” consumer healthcare service. Ro seeks to help with all parts of your medical journey: scheduling appointments, filling out prescriptions — and everything in between.
Ro even provides their own versions of common medications like sildenafil (the generic form of Viagra). That’s where Roman comes in.
Roman is a subcategory of the Ro company. Roman focuses specifically on providing accessible health coverage for men’s health.
They’re most known for their ED treatments that have become popular alternatives to brand names like Viagra. But Roman also provides:
- online and in-person appointment services through an online dashboard
- prescription fills and refills with licensed pharmacies
- treatments for viral infections
- hair and skin treatments for hair loss, eczema, and more
- generic forms of common treatments for allergies, heart health, and smoking cessation
Here’s a brief overview of what ED medications Roman provides:
- Viagra. Sold by Roman both as branded Viagra and generic, this medication uses the active ingredient sildenafil to help you get an erection. This medication typically begins working after about 30 minutes and lasts for about 4 to 6 hours. It’s available in a 25/50/100 milligram (mg) oral tablet.
- Sildenafil. This is the active ingredient in the medications Revatio and Viagra. While Viagra is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for ED, Revatio is only FDA approved for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Roman offers sildenafil as 20/40/60/80/100 mg oral tablets.
- Tadalafil. This is the generic form of Cialis, which also helps you become erect. It lasts anywhere from 24 to 36 hours after you take it. It’s sold as a 2.5/5/10/20 mg chewable tablet.
Roman also provides generic forms of other treatments that may help with the causes or symptoms of ED, including:
- Sertraline. This is a generic form of antidepressant Zoloft, which has also
been shownto be effective in treating premature ejaculation in daily 25 to 50 mg doses. You need a prescription.
- Premature ejaculation “swipes.” These swipes are individually packaged premoistened wipes with a 4% benzocaine solution. This solution reduces sensation in the penis, helping you last longer before you ejaculate.
Roman medications are usually delivered as part of a monthly subscription plan. You decide how often and how much of each treatment you want each month and pay the monthly subscription fee for your delivery.
Roman also helps get you in touch with licensed physicians so that you can have an online or in-person appointment to get a legitimate prescription for these ED treatments.
Just be sure to talk to your doctor before you use any of these medications. There can be side effects, especially if used together before you know how your body may react to the ingredients.
Here’s how the active ingredients work in each of the generic ED medications that Roman sells.
Sildenafil and tadalafil
Both of these medications are PDE5 inhibitors. They help block the phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) enzyme and help your body produce more nitric oxide, which relaxes muscles.
Normally, you get an erection when your penis nerves are stimulated. This causes muscles to relax around two chambers in your penis called the corpus cavernosa. Blood flows in and results in an erection.
When you have ED, penis nerves don’t respond normally to the brain signals that tell your muscles to relax and blood to flow.
Sildenafil and tadalafil relax the blood vessels in your penis and make it easier for blood to flow into your corpus cavernosa and other areas in your penis that take part in erections.
When you feel a sensation in any nerve, this means that sodium is activating your nerve endings and communicating signals called “action potential” to your central nervous system (CNS).
Benzocaine used in these wipes stops the production of sodium and reduces the ability of your nerve endings to communicate with the CNS. This means that you feel less (or nothing at all) until the numbing effect wears off.
Here’s a breakdown of how much Roman charges for each ED treatment (before your health insurance plan kicks in):
- Sildenafil: $34 for a single 25, 50, or 100 mg oral tablet (generally starts at $31/month for 12 doses of 20 mg each)
- Tadalafil: $11 for a single 2.5 or 5 mg oral tablet, or $44 for a single 10 or 20 mg oral tablet
- Wipes: $22/month for 3-month supply of 72 wipes (or $27/month for single month purchase)
For more on these medications’ pricing structure from Roman see their website.
Roman can have a lot of benefits, but Roman isn’t for everyone.
Here are some of the main pros and cons to consider before using Roman.
- Roman appointments and treatments may be cheaper than your regular prescription service, depending on your health insurance plan.
- Roman doesn’t require you to have in-person appointments to get care and prescriptions.
- Roman offers monthly subscriptions to make sure that you don’t forget to refill a medication.
- Roman may cost you more if you already have good insurance coverage.
- You may not always get your shipments right on time due to availability of medications or supply chain issues.
- Roman is a private, for-profit company that acts as a mediator between you and healthcare providers. Services, product offerings, and access to care can change based on the company’s business practices, which can make it difficult to rely on in the long term.
- It isn’t available in all states.
Some customers have complained about being charged for automatic renewal without permission or about slow shipping speeds. Roman has responded to numerous customers’ reviews in great detail.
Roman doesn’t allow returns of their prescription medication due to regulatory issues.
They offer a customer service contact email for any issues with incorrect or misplaced orders.
Both sildenafil and tadalafil have been approved by the FDA for prescription use under the supervision of a doctor.
But as with any off-label use of medication, be sure to talk to your doctor about any possible risks, interactions, or side effects of using any Roman medications, especially when using PDE5 inhibitors in high doses.
Keep in close communication with your doctor in case you note any new symptoms.
PDE5 side effects
But some side effects are possible with sildenafil and tadalafil, including:
- muscle aches
- sore throat
- back pain
- runny nose
- erection that lasts longer than 4 hours (priapism)
- blurry vision
Sertraline side effects
Some side effects of sertraline can include:
- loss of appetite
- upset stomach
- excessive sweat (hyperhidrosis)
Benzocaine side effects
Benzocaine is also a common over-the-counter numbing agent that’s used in many other products for cold sores and dental procedures.
Some possible side effects of benzocaine include:
- flaky skin
- tenderness where you wiped
- burning sensation
- redness or warmth
Not sure whether to go with Roman?
Talk to a doctor who knows your medical history before you start any new medications.
You may want to have several online appointments with Roman physicians to get an opinion or two on whether these medications are right for you.
Here are some questions you can ask your healthcare provider during your appointment:
Questions for ED care
- Does my ED have a physical cause? How can I know?
- Are there any other causes that are possible?
- How can I test whether I have ED?
- Will my ED only last for a while or could it be longer term?
- How can I know what treatment is best?
- Are there alternatives to these medications?
- What are nonprescription treatments for ED?
- Should I be managing other health conditions along with my ED?
- What shouldn’t I do while I’m taking these medications?
- Do I need to see a urologist or other specialist?
- Are there any educational materials I can look at online?
Addressing your health overall can also help ED. Managing stress, sleep, relationships, and other health conditions can help you find even more success in reducing symptoms of ED.
Here are some lifestyle changes you can make that might help with ED symptoms:
Here are some dietary changes you can make:
- Eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Reduce how much processed sugar, whole fat dairy, and red meat you eat.
- Drink alcohol in moderate amounts or not at all.
It’s important to discuss with a doctor or pharmacist medications and supplements you’re taking or are interested in taking. This will ensure that they’re safe and won’t work against each other or your health goals.
Other ED treatments
There are other treatment options which you’d need to discuss with a doctor. These options include:
- Penile injections. Also called intracavernosal injections (ICI), these injections deliver medications directly into the penis (not to be confused with platelet-rich plasma injections, which are considered an experimental treatment for ED).
- Surgery for a penile implant or a prosthesis. These procedures are another option for treating ED.
Roman is one of several alternatives to traditional healthcare systems and prescription channels to get men’s health treatments for ED and other sexual health needs.
If you’re having trouble affording a healthcare plan that covers ED treatments, Roman can help fill the gaps by giving you access to safe, reliable treatments.
And Roman was designed by men for men. So if you feel self-conscious about ED, Roman provides physician consultations and discreet packaging so that you can effectively manage this common condition.