If you’re interested in men’s health services but don’t want to make a trip to the doctor in person, you may have come across Roman, or Get Roman.
In this article, we’re taking a close look at the brand: their services, what’s behind the hype of their popular ED treatments, other products you can try, and whether they’re worth checking out.
Roman is a men’s health service that specializes in treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) and other men’s health conditions.
It’s a subbrand of a company called Ro. Ro was started in 2017 with the intention of providing what’s called an “end-to-end” consumer healthcare service. Ro seeks to help with all parts of your medical journey: scheduling appointments, filling out prescriptions — and everything in between.
Roman focuses specifically on providing accessible health coverage for men’s health. They’re most known for their ED treatments that have become popular alternatives to brand names like Viagra. But Roman also provides:
Here’s a brief overview of the ED medications Roman provides:
- Viagra. This brand name medication uses the active ingredient sildenafil to help you get an erection. This medication typically begins working after about 30 minutes and lasts for about 4 to 6 hours. It’s available in a 25/50/100 milligram (mg) oral tablet.
- Sildenafil. This is the generic form of Viagra and the active ingredient in the medications Revatio and Viagra. While Viagra is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for ED, Revatio is only FDA approved for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Roman offers sildenafil as 20/40/60/80/100 mg oral tablets.
- Tadalafil. This is the generic form of Cialis, which also helps you become erect. It lasts anywhere from 24 to 36 hours after you take it. It’s sold as a 2.5/5/10/20 mg chewable tablet. The 2.5 and 5 mg doses of tadalafil are also FDA approved for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and urinary symptoms.
Roman also provides generic forms of treatments that may help with premature ejaculation, including:
- Sertraline. This is a generic form of antidepressant Zoloft, which has
been shownto be effective in treating premature ejaculation in daily 25 to 50 mg doses. This medication requires a prescription.
- Premature ejaculation wipes. Roman Swipes are individually packaged premoistened wipes with a 4 percent benzocaine solution. This solution reduces sensation in the penis, helping you last longer before you ejaculate.
Roman medications are usually delivered as part of a monthly subscription plan. You decide how often and how much of each treatment you want each month and pay the monthly subscription fee for your delivery.
Roman also helps get you in touch with licensed physicians so that you can have an online or in-person appointment to get a legitimate prescription for these ED treatments.
Just be sure to talk with your doctor before you use any of these medications. There can be side effects, especially if using multiple treatments together. It’s important to know how your body may react to the ingredients.
Here’s how the active ingredients work in each of the generic ED medications that Roman sells.
Sildenafil and tadalafil
Normally, you get an erection when your penis nerves are stimulated. This causes muscles to relax around two chambers in your penis called the corpus cavernosum. Blood flows in and results in an erection.
When you have ED, penis nerves don’t respond normally to the brain signals that tell your muscles to relax and blood to flow.
Sildenafil and tadalafil relax the blood vessels in your penis and make it easier for blood to flow into your corpus cavernosa and other areas in your penis that take part in erections.
When you feel a sensation in any nerve, it means that sodium is activating your nerve endings and communicating signals called “action potential” to your central nervous system (CNS).
Benzocaine used in these wipes stops the production of sodium and reduces the ability of your nerve endings to communicate with the CNS. This means that you feel less (or nothing at all) until the numbing effect wears off.
Here’s a breakdown of how much Roman charges for each ED treatment, before any potential coverage from your health insurance plan:
- Generic Viagra: $34 for a single 25, 50, or 100 mg oral tablet
- Sildenafil: $2 for a single 20 mg oral tablet, $4 for a single 40 mg oral tablet, $6 for a single 60 mg oral table, $8 for a single 80 mg oral tablet, or $10 for a single 100 mg oral tablet
- Tadalafil: $11 for a single 2.5 or 5 mg oral tablet, or $44 for a single 10 or 20 mg oral tablet
- Wipes: $22 per month for a 3-month supply of 72 wipes (or $27 per month for a single-month purchase)
For more on the pricing structure of these medications from Roman, see their website.
Roman can have a lot of benefits, but it isn’t for everyone.
Here are some of the main pros and cons to consider before using Roman.
Some customers have complained about being charged for automatic renewal without permission or about slow shipping speeds. Roman has responded to numerous customers’ reviews in great detail.
Roman doesn’t allow returns of their prescription medication due to regulatory issues.
They offer a customer service contact email for any issues with incorrect or misplaced orders.
Roman displays customer reviews on their website.
Here, only positive reviews are displayed, including photos. Customers on this page praise treatment plans, fast shipping, and great response times from customer service. These reviews do seem to contradict some reviews from other sites.
Third-party review site Trustpilot only displays two Roman reviews at the moment and it gives Roman an average of 2.9 stars out of 5.
One of the reviews here relates to pricing — saying that competitors offer the same medications and dosages for significantly less.
The other review doesn’t relate to the company’s products or pricing, but instead points to one reviewer’s negative experience interviewing with the brand’s marketing department.
Right now, Roman’s rating on the BBB website lands at 2.33/5 stars from a total of 10 customer reviews. Positive reviews point to feeling at ease when talking about concerns with the medical team.
Negative reviews point to several issues:
- late response times from customer service representatives
- unauthorized charges for canceled subscriptions
- not receiving subscriptions after being charged for them
- worries about privacy relating to personal information
- lack of choices when picking a doctor for telemedicine appointments
Both sildenafil and tadalafil have been approved by the FDA for prescription use under the supervision of a doctor.
However, be sure to talk with your doctor about any possible risks, interactions, or side effects of using any Roman medications, especially when using PDE5 inhibitors in high doses.
Keep in close communication with your doctor in case you notice any new symptoms.
PDE5 side effects
Some side effects are possible with sildenafil and tadalafil, including:
- muscle aches
- sore throat
- back pain
- runny nose
- erection that lasts longer than 4 hours (priapism)
- blurry vision
Sertraline side effects
Some side effects of sertraline can include:
- loss of appetite
- upset stomach
- excessive sweat (hyperhidrosis)
Benzocaine side effects
Benzocaine is a common over-the-counter numbing agent that’s used in many other products besides ED wipes.
Some possible side effects of benzocaine include:
- flaky skin
- tenderness where you wiped
- burning sensation
- redness or warmth
Not sure whether to go with Roman?
Talk with a doctor who knows your medical history before you start any new medications.
You may want to have several online appointments with Roman physicians to get a couple opinions on whether these medications are right for you.
Here are some questions you can ask during your appointment:
Here are some lifestyle changes you can make that might help with ED symptoms:
Here are some dietary changes you can make:
- Eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Reduce how much processed sugar, whole fat dairy, and red meat you eat.
- Drink alcohol in moderate amounts or consider not drinking any alcohol.
It’s important to discuss with a doctor or pharmacist any medications and supplements you’re taking or are interested in taking. This will ensure that they’re safe and won’t work against each other or your health goals.
Other ED treatments
There are other ED treatment options that you may want to discuss with a doctor. These options include:
- Penile injections. Also called intracavernosal injections (ICI), these injections deliver medications directly into the penis. These are not the same as platelet-rich plasma injections, which are considered an experimental treatment for ED.
- Surgery for a penile implant or a prosthesis. These procedures are another option for treating ED.
- Vacuum erectile device. This is another option for treating ED and can be used along with oral PDE5 inhibitors.
How long do the effects from Roman’s ED treatments last?
Erections should not last more than 4 hours though. Erections lasting longer than 4 hours are considered a serious side effect that requires emergency treatment.
How often can you take Roman ED treatments?
Generally, medical professionals recommend taking an ED treatment like Cialis or Viagra up to once per day, when needed.
Talk with your doctor for a recommendation.
Should you take ED medication if you’re under 35?
Younger people can experience ED. In that case, a doctor may prescribe ED medication.
If you’re not experiencing symptoms of ED and you haven’t been given a prescription, you shouldn’t take ED medication.
Are Roman ED treatments safe?
Sildenafil and tadalafil are FDA approved for prescription use under doctor supervision. However, that doesn’t mean they come without risks or side effects.
Pay attention to any new symptoms, and talk with your doctor about any possible risks, interactions, or side effects of using Roman medications. This is especially important if you use PDE5 inhibitors in high doses.
Roman is one of several alternatives to traditional healthcare systems and prescription channels to get men’s health treatments for ED and other health issues.
If you’re having trouble affording a healthcare plan that covers ED treatments, Roman can help fill the gap by giving you access to safe, reliable treatments.
If you feel self-conscious about ED, Roman provides physician consultations and discreet packaging so that you can effectively manage this common condition.