We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), about
The older a person is, the more likely they are to develop what NIDCD refers to as “disabling hearing loss.” This is defined as hearing loss of 35 decibels or more in at least one ear.
If you’re experiencing hearing loss and looking to buy a hearing aid, you may want to consider Miracle-Ear.
Miracle-Ear is a well-known brand with thousands of retail locations in the United States. Unlike retailers that sell lower-cost personal sound amplification products (PSAPs), Miracle-Ear’s devices are true hearing aids.
Below, we take a deeper look at the company, its products, and its reputation.
Here’s a breakdown of Miracle-Ear’s pros and cons.
Miracle-Ear sells FDA-approved hearing aids. You can book an in-person appointment on the Miracle-Ear website. You can also take a free hearing test online.
If your hearing test shows that you might benefit from a hearing aid, you can test out devices in a nearby store. You can’t buy Miracle-Ear hearing aids online.
- FDA-approved. Unlike many PSAPs that are readily available online, Miracle-Ear’s hearing aids are FDA-approved.
- Free hearing test. You need to take a hearing test to qualify for Miracle-Ear hearing aids. The test is available online.
- Lifetime upkeep services. Miracle-Ear offers multiple ongoing services when you purchase one of their hearing aids, including regular cleaning and adjustments.
- Variety of options. Miracle-Ear sells several hearing aid models, including options worn behind and inside the ear.
- Custom fitting. Unlike some online PSAPs, Miracle-Ear’s hearing aids are custom-fit by professionals.
- Expensive. Prescription hearing aids are pricey, and Miracle-Ear’s products are no exception. However, the company does have a foundation that provides hearing aids to those who are unable to afford them.
- Locations aren’t available everywhere. You’ll need to visit a retail location to get a full assessment and prescription. While Miracle-Ear has many brick-and-mortar stores around the country, there may not be one close to your home.
Miracle-Ear offers a few different forms of hearing aids, including:
- in-the-ear (ITE)
- receiver-in-canal (RIC)
- behind-the-ear (BTE)
If you’re looking for an invisible hearing aid, opt for an ITE device. They’re custom-molded to fit right inside your ear canal.
An RIC hearing aid has a speaker that fits right inside the ear canal. They’re a little larger than ITE models, but they’re still reasonably discrete.
BTE hearing aids offer the highest level of sound amplification, but they’re more noticeable.
Most of Miracle-Ear’s various hearing aid models are available in different forms.
Special features of Miracle-Ear devices include:
- Speech isolation. Devices amplify speaking sounds above others to make it easier to follow speech.
- Tinnitus control. This feature helps to drown out annoying sounds that are the result of tinnitus.
The Miracle-EarMINI is available in ITE or RIC versions. Both options are small and discreet.
They offer custom ear models to help find the right fit. Weighing just 1 gram, their lightness makes them a sleek, comfortable option. However, Miracle-Ear’s rating scale marks them low for robustness—and indicator of overall reliability.
The Miracle-EarMINI also offers tech features, such as directional microphones, bluetooth connectivity and feedback cancellation.
The Miracle-EarCONNECT line features Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to use your hearing aid(s) like headphones. You can connect to devices, like your phone, tablet, or TV.
These hearing aids are available in BTE and RIC styles.
Weighing 2 grams, they’re heavier than other styles, but still remain sleek in size considering the technology. These hearing aids are available in BTE and RIC styles.
They rank high for all of Miracle-Ear’s performance categories, including noise management and robustness, but ranked medium for maximum discreteness due to their slightly larger size.
Learn more about Miracle-EarCONNECT hearing aids.
The Miracle-EarENERGY devices have rechargeable batteries and Bluetooth connectivity. They’re available in RIC and BTE styles.
Though they have a sleek design, they are the heaviest of the options at 2.6 grams. They’re also the most technologically advanced of Miracle-Ear’s lineup, which may account for the weight.
It ranks high in all performance categories, except for maximum discretion, where it ranks medium.
Learn more about Miracle-EarENERGY hearing aids.
Miracle-EarEASY hearing aids, available in RIC and BTE styles, are the most affordable of the bunch, so they have fewer features. For example, they don’t have Bluetooth connectivity, rechargeable batteries, and are not waterproof. They’re relatively discreet, with the same size and weight dimensions of the Miracle-EarCONNECT.
They rank neither high nor low for any of the performance categories. If you’re cost-conscious and are looking for a good overall hearing aid, this may be the best choice.
Miracle-Ear hearing aids vary in price based on the level of hearing loss that will need to be corrected, as well as the technology and features included. According to their website, their hearing aid price falls between $1,000 and $4,000. More specific information on price can be determined after the hearing evaluation.
The price of Miracle-Ear hearing aids also includes a variety of services, such as:
- custom fitting
- lifetime aftercare:
- yearly hearing tests
Most models come with a 3-year limited warranty. You can also return your hearing aid within 30 days if you’re not happy with it.
Miracle-Ear hearing aids are more expensive than most over-the-counter PSAPs. However, unlike PSAPs, Miracle-Ear hearing aids are FDA-approved.
Prescription hearing aids vs. PSAPs
It can be tricky to tell a PSAP from a prescription hearing aid, especially since some companies market their PSAPs as hearing aids.
The FDA doesn’t regulate PSAPs the same way they do hearing aids. While a medical hearing aid requires a prescription, a PSAP doesn’t.
Unlike hearing aids, PSAPs aren’t custom-fit. They also don’t treat hearing loss. They’re only capable of amplifying sound.
Most Miracle-Ear locations take major insurance plans, but that doesn’t necessarily mean your insurance will completely cover the cost. They may only cover part of it.
You can always contact Miracle-Ear and get in touch with your insurance provider to find out about available coverage.
Some Miracle-Ear locations also offer financing.
Miracle-Ear also has a non-profit called the Miracle-Ear Foundation. It provides hearing aids to people without insurance.
To qualify, you must:
- have hearing loss that would benefit from a hearing aid
- have no other way to obtain funds for a hearing aid (such as insurance, Medicaid, or other programs)
- have a household income that’s at or below federal poverty guidelines
If you’re not sure if you qualify for this program, contact Miracle-Ear for more information.
Miracle-Ear has an excellent reputation according to the following criteria:
- Miracle-Ear has been in business for 73 years.
- They have an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- They have a 4.7 out of 5 star rating on the Consumer Affairs website.
- There aren’t many complaints about the business. Those that do exist mostly concern a promotion that some customers say was not fulfilled. However, updates confirm that the bulk of these customers eventually received their promotional gifts.
Reviews of Miracle-Ear hearing aids are mixed—their reviews on BBB s are quite low, but are higher on Consumer Affairs. Some reviewers say they have trouble adjusting the devices properly. Others report hearing annoying feedback. Some people also have difficulty getting the hearing aids to fit correctly, though a few reviewers noted that adjustments can take a few months to get right.
The Consumer Affairs ratings praised transparent and helpful customer service (including in-person testing and fitting services), excellent performance, and advanced technological features which make everyday use of the hearing aids easier. The strong customer service practices seemed to extend beyond the purchase of the device, with some reviewers pointing out that Miracle-Ear actively responds to customer complaints.
We looked through reviews on various sites, including Consumer Affairs, and noticed that Miracle-Ear actively responds to customer complaints.
You can visit the Miracle-Ear website to take a free online hearing test. The quick test lets you know if you should consider taking an in-person test. Going to a location is the only way to get a Miracle-Ear hearing aid.
You can schedule an in-person exam through the company website. During the exam, a licensed professional will take your hearing health history, check your ears, and perform several hearing tests.
If your hearing test shows that you might benefit from a hearing aid, you can try out various hearing aids. You can also talk to the staff to determine which is the right fit for you.
If you decide to buy a hearing aid from Miracle-Ear, the fitting process can start right away.
Here are a few other options to consider when shopping around for hearing aids:
- Widex: This company has a similarly long history on the market, and offers both ITE and BTE hearing aid models. Like Miracle-Ear, Widex does not sell hearing aids directly online, requiring customers to come in for a hearing test and fitting. Learn more about Widex.
- Starkey: This brand is known for offering high-tech features. It has three different models, all of which offer connectivity to your devices. Though they offer an online hearing test, they can only be purchased by making an appointment with one of their hearing loss specialists. Learn more about Starkey.
- Audicus: This direct-to-consumer company focuses on ease and affordability. After an online hearing test, hearing aids can be shipped to customers directly. Their five hearing aids are all on the more affordable end of the price scale. Learn more about Audicus.
- Signia: One of the newest hearing aid producers on the market, Signia focuses on innovation and customization. They offer six different hearing aids, each designed for a specific use case. Their devices cannot be purchased online. Learn more about Signia.
- Local independent retailers: Search online for local sellers in your area, or ask around for good recommendations. Because this is such a personal item, it’s important to get information from sources you can trust.
Here’s how Miracle-Ear stacks up against some of its competitors.
|Year founded||BBB rating||Available to buy online?|
|Signia (owned by Sivantons Inc.)||2016||A+||No|
It can be difficult to know if you have trouble hearing. Sometimes, it’s your friends and family who notice first. If people frequently tell you that you ask them to repeat themselves or you have the TV on too loud, it may be worth talking with a doctor.
Similarly, if you find that your hearing isn’t what it used to be and you have trouble following conversations in loud spaces or on the phone, you may need to get your hearing checked.
Why does it matter? Hearing loss may be treatable, and in some cases, hearing issues can be linked to an underlying medical cause that requires attention.
Is Miracle-Ear a reputable brand?
Miracle-Ear has been around for 73 years and has an A- BBB rating. Customer reviews are mixed, but many say the customer service is top-notch.
Who manufactures Miracle-Ear?
The Italian company Amplifon makes Miracle-Ear hearing aids.
Is Miracle-Ear one of the best hearing aids on the market in 2022?
Miracle-Ear is a popular hearing aid brand, but the best option for you depends on your needs and type of hearing loss.
Miracle-Ear is a reputable hearing aid provider with more than 1,000 locations across the United States. You can make an appointment online.
If you decide to get a hearing aid from Miracle-Ear, the device comes with a lifetime aftercare package.
Steph Coelho is a freelance writer with chronic migraine who has a particular interest in health and wellness. When she’s not click-clacking away on her keyboard, she’s probably nose-deep in a good book.
Johanna Sorrentino is a writer, editor, and wayfarer. Her appetite for empowering information and great storytelling is matched only by her appetite for cheese and chocolate. Learn more about her at johannasorrentino.com.