Medicare Part A is sometimes called “hospital insurance,” but it only covers the costs of an emergency room (ER) visit if you’re admitted to the hospital to treat the illness or injury that brought you to the ER.

If your ER visit isn’t covered under Medicare Part A, you may be able to get coverage through Medicare Part B, C, D, or Medigap, depending on your specific plan.

Read on to learn more about Part A coverage for ER visits, including what may or may not be covered, and other coverage options you may have.

If you’re treated and released from the emergency department without being admitted to the hospital as an inpatient, chances are Medicare Part A won’t cover your ER visit.

Even if you stay in the ER overnight, Medicare Part A considers you an outpatient unless a doctor writes an order admitting you to the hospital as for treatment.

Most of the time, you have to be admitted as an inpatient for two consecutive midnights for Medicare Part A to cover your visit.

If a doctor admits you to the hospital following an ER visit and you stay in the hospital for two midnights or longer, Medicare Part A pays for your inpatient hospital stay plus the outpatient costs from your ER visit.

You’ll still be responsible for your deductible, coinsurance, and copayments. If you’re not sure whether you’re being treated as an outpatient or inpatient, ask the doctor treating you. If you have a Medigap plan, it may pay part of your copay or coinsurance.

Medicare Part B

The good news is that Medicare Part B (medical insurance) generally pays for your ER visits whether you’ve been hurt, you develop a sudden illness, or an illness takes a turn for the worse.

Medicare Part B generally pays 80 percent of your costs. You’re responsible for the remaining 20 percent. In 2021, the annual Part B deductible is $203.

Medicare Part C

Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans also pay for ER and urgent care expenses. Even though Medicare parts B and C usually pay for ER visits, you’ll still be responsible for your deductible, coinsurance, and copayments in addition to your monthly premiums for these plans.

Medigap

If you have Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance) in addition to your Part B plan, it can help you pay your 20 percent of the cost of the ER visit.

Medicare Part D

Medicare Part D is prescription drug coverage. If you’re given any IV medications while in the ER, Medicare part B or C will usually cover them.

However, if you need medication that you usually take at home and it’s given by the hospital while in the ER, that’s considered a self-administered drug. If the medication you’re given is on your Medicare Part D drug list, Part D may pay for that medication.

You may receive several different kinds of services you may need during an ER visit, including:

  • emergency examination by one or more physicians
  • lab tests
  • X-rays
  • scans or screenings
  • medical or surgical procedures
  • medical supplies and equipment, like crutches
  • medications

These services and supplies may be billed together or separately, depending on the hospital you visit.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 145 million people visit the emergency room every year, with a little more than 12.5 million of them being admitted to the hospital for inpatient care as a result.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) says the median amount people paid for an ER visit in 2017 was $776. The amount you have to pay will vary depending on where you live, the condition you’re being treated for, and the coverage your plan provides.

Medicare Part B will pay for an ambulance ride to the ER if your health would be endangered by traveling another way.

For example, if you’re injured and care in an ambulance could save your life, Medicare would pay for you to be transported by ambulance to the nearest appropriate medical center.

If you choose to be treated at a facility farther away, you could be responsible for the difference in cost for transportation between the two facilities.

If you or a loved one needs to go to the ER, it’s important to know that Medicare Part A does not generally cover ER visits unless the patient is admitted to the hospital for treatment.

Medicare Part B and Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) usually do cover 80 percent of the cost of ER services, but patients are responsible for coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles.

Medicare plan options and costs are subject to change each year.