We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best overall: TEMPUR-Essential Support Pillow
- Best for stomach sleepers: TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow
- Best for back sleepers: TEMPUR-Neck Pillow
- Best for all sleeping positions: Symphony Pillow
- Most versatile options: TEMPUR-Cloud Pro Pillow
- Best for hot sleepers: TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow
- Best soft options: TEMPUR-Down Precise Support Pillow
Waking up with neck and back pain regularly should not be normal. For many, stiff necks develop as a consequence of sleeping at an awkward angle for an extended period of time. Thankfully,
Ever since the company launched in 1992, Tempur-Pedic has been recognized in the home bedding space, thanks to its patented Tempur material pillows and mattresses, which use pressure-relieving foam created by NASA.
Currently, Tempur-Pedic offers 14 pillow options. Choosing one might appear tricky, but it really just depends on your sleeping position and personal preference. No one pillow is right for everyone, so it’s important to also experiment by trial and error.
Keep reading to learn more about the most popular Tempur-Pedic pillows, and discover which one is a good fit for you.
- Many options for height or firmness.
- Solid state and shredded fill pillow varieties.
- Retains contours, which assists in keeping your spine aligned.
- Machine-washable covers.
- 5-year warranty on all items.
- No sleep trial.
- You can return your pillow only if it is damaged or defective.
- Some of the pillows retain body heat.
- May take some getting used to if you’re new to memory foam.
Selecting a pillow that fits in your budget is important, but you may also want to consider the pillow’s longevity when making your purchase. A long-lasting pillow with a higher initial price tag may ultimately be more budget-friendly than a lower-priced option that needs to be replaced sooner.
Memory foam pillows traditionally cost more than other pillows. Tempur-Pedic pillows range from under $100 to around $200. Travel pillows and smaller-sized pillows are on the lower end of the pricing spectrum. King pillows and the introduction of special features (cooling gel, down, adjustable fill) may end up costing you a little more.
- $ = under $89
- $$ = $90–$149
- $$$ = over $149
We chose the best Tempur-Pedic pillows by evaluating the pros and cons of each, comparing them with market competitors and each other.
We also looked at what each pillow claims to do and tried to rule out products that made outrageous or unscientific claims. (With Tempur-Pedic, most product claims were grounded in reality.)
Finally, we read through hundreds of verified customer reviews to determine which Tempur-Pedic products people were most pleased with with after they purchased.
TEMPUR-Essential Support Pillow
- Price: $
- Height: 4.25 inches
- Firmness: extra soft
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: back and stomach sleepers looking to relieve neck pain
The TEMPUR-Essential support pillow is designed to align the head, neck, and shoulders for back and stomach sleepers. The pillow has one single, lightweight piece of Tempur material inside that is encased in a 100 percent premium knit cover.
According to Tempur-Pedic, the pillow is extra soft, yet sturdy. At a medium loft of 4.25 inches, this is one of Tempur-Pedics’ thinnest pillows, which is why it isn’t recommended for side sleepers, who would benefit from a pillow with higher loft to hold up and align their neck.
For the most part, reviewers love this pillow. Many reviewers say they no longer wake up with neck pain after making the switch. They say it’s very comfortable, great quality, and that it has improved their sleep. A few people compare it to sleeping on a cloud. Some found this pillow to be too firm.
- According to reviews, this pillow effectively relieves neck pain and aligns the cervical spine while you sleep.
- People say it’s soft enough to fall asleep on, but firm enough to provide vital support.
- It’s probably not a good option for side sleepers.
- It’s not thick, so you may feel you need to stack another pillow underneath.
Best for stomach sleepers
- Price: $
- Height: 5 inches
- Firmness: extra soft
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: back and stomach sleepers looking for a portable, one-and-done pillow option
The TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow is Tempur-Pedic’s bestseller. The company says this pillow is soft and plush, thanks to squishy memory foam, so it’s likely more suitable for back and stomach sleepers who don’t need the extra lift. Additionally, this pillow compresses easily so that you can travel with it.
The pillow is available in one standard size and comes encased in a breathable, machine-washable 100 percent polyester cover.
According to the many positive reviews, back sleepers find the pillow to be very comfortable. Several reviewers mention how soft the pillow is, and how it has improved their sleep quality. Some of the reviewers with less-than-stellar comments say the pillow sinks too far under their head’s weight. Side sleepers say they need to stack this pillow with another for proper neck support.
- Travel-friendly size means you can take it anywhere.
- Back sleepers say this pillow has been a game-changer for giving them deep, restorative sleep.
- This pillow might not be thick enough for side sleepers, who sometimes say they need to stack it with another pillow.
- If you’re a side or stomach sleepers and don’t like feeling like your face is sinking into the pillow, this might not be for you.
Watch our video review of the TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow
Best for back sleepers
- Price: $$
- Height: 3 inches (small), 4 inches (medium), 4.5 inches (large)
- Firmness: extra firm
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: back and side sleepers who want support first and comfort second
The TEMPUR-Neck pillow is Tempur-Pedic’s original pillow. It is shaped to contour and align the natural curve of your head, neck, and shoulders. The pillow is made of solid-state TEMPUR material, so it’s extra-firm. It is supportive enough for side sleepers who need the extra lift to maintain healthy posture throughout the night. It is also good for back sleepers who want neck support but don’t switch positions that much throughout the night.
Each neck pillow is encased in a polyester knit hypoallergenic cover that hot sleepers will appreciate, as polyester is a naturally moisture-wicking material.
In general, reviewers love the support and comfort this pillow provides. One reviewer claims it helped with their migraine, as it relieved pressure from their head. Some reviewer complaints are related to the smell of the pillow. Some side sleepers also find that the pillow doesn’t provide enough support for them.
- It comes in different sizes — travel, small, medium, or large — so you can pick the best angle for your best sleep.
- Ergonomic shape promotes a straight cervical spine while you sleep, which might help you avoid neck and back pain.
- If you sleep on your stomach, it probably won’t feel comfortable to rest your head on this pillow.
- If you tend to sleep hot, you might want to spend a little extra and get the extra-cooling version of this neck pillow.
Best for all sleeping positions
- Price: $$
- Height: 5 inches
- Firmness: medium
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: combination sleepers who need ergonomic versatility
This double-sided pillow works great for stomach, back, and side sleepers because it combines two designs into one pillow. One side is arched to provide better support for back sleepers and the other side is flat and even, ideal for stomach sleepers.
This flippable design is good for anyone who tosses and turns or constantly changes their sleeping position. The cover of the pillow is 100 percent polyester knit that protects against moisture and also provides a soft surface.
While the pillow advertised is soft, some reviewers claim that it is actually medium firm. Overall, reviewers generally praise the Symphony Pillow for being supportive and comfortable and say it’s the “best pillow ever.”
- It aims to be comfortable for any sleeping style and position, even stomach sleeping.
- Reviewers praise this pillow for being durable and lightweight, even saying it helps with managing migraine pain.
- Some reviewers claim that in recent years, the Symphony has been modified and isn’t as comfortable as it used to be.
- It claims to be a soft on the firmness scale, but some reviewers felt it wasn’t nearly as soft as they expected or needed.
Most versatile options
TEMPUR-Cloud Pro Pillow
- Price: $$–$$$
- Height: hi, lo, mid
- Firmness: lo (extra-soft), mid (soft), hi (medium)
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: stomach sleepers who want control over how supportive their pillow feels
The TEMPUR-Cloud Pro is available in three different heights: hi, lo, and mid.
The feel differs depending on your preferences. The lo and mid versions feature two thin layers of TEMPUR material, and surround a TEMPUR cushion. The hi version is a single piece of TEMPUR material. The cover is also fully washable, and most reviewers report how soft it is, and that it doesn’t retain heat.
Many people find this pillow to be comfortable, supportive, and well made. According to a few reviews, some people find the lo option to be too firm, even though it’s advertised as the softest of the bunch.
- You can select from three firmness options and choose what works best for you.
- Unlike many other pillow choices, this one is actually breathable and comfortable for stomach sleepers to snuggle up with.
- This pillow isn’t as budget-friendly as some other options on this list.
- You may find it a bit challenging to figure out which of the pillow heights is the right one for you.
Best for hot sleepers
TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Height: 6.4 inches
- Firmness: medium
- Cooling: yes
- Who it’s for: hot sleepers who want plush memory foam and a cooling gel infusion
A lot of people find memory foam too hot and claim that it leads to an increase in night sweats. This pillow, however, comes with two layers of gel to help the pillow sleep cooler. It was made specifically for those who sleep unusually hot.
Each pillow is made of memory foam, coated with cooling gel on both sides, and then wrapped in a 100 percent-cotton quilted cover. The cover is removable and machine washable, making it easy to keep your pillow clean.
Most reviewers rate the Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow positively, saying that it finally helps them sleep through the night. Some say it’s like being inside a cool cloud. However, a few reviewers say that the pillow is very heavy, making it hard to carry around or travel with.
- It has a removable, washable cotton cover, which can be helpful if you sweat a lot while sleeping.
- It’s made for people who want to use a memory foam pillow but need moisture and heat to wick away from their body during the night.
- It’s too heavy to travel with.
- Many reviewers complain of off-gassing. Some even say the scent gave them a headache.
Best soft option
TEMPUR-Down Precise Support Pillow
- Price: $$–$$$
- Height: 7.88 inches (queen), 7.91 inches (king)
- Firmness: medium
- Cooling: no
- Who it’s for: people who love a soft, fluffy feeling pillow and want adjustable support
For those who love the comfort of down, this is the pillow for you. The TEMPUR-Down Precise Support Pillow combines the support of memory foam with the plushness of down. The pillow is adjustable — you can adjust the height and loft by playing around with the down filling and memory foam inserts. Each pillow is encased in a premium 500-thread-count cotton cover that is machine washable.
Overall, reviewers say that this is the perfect pillow for those looking for something soft and luxurious. However, if you’re not a fan of fluffy pillows, many reviewers urge you to stay away. Some other negative reviewers mention wanting more support.
- You can customize the firmness and height of the pillow with down filling and memory foam inserts.
- It feels soft, inviting, and luxurious thanks to the down filling.
- The down filling means your head will sink into the pillow a lot, compared with other Tempur-pedic pillows.
- Some reviewers wish that this pillow had more firmness or support.
Tempur-Pedic pillows are made with a material that was originally developed by NASA to cushion astronauts during lift-off. This “viscoelastic” is a slow spring back foam that contains billion of open cells that are heat sensitive.
This proprietary memory foam contours to your head and neck, provides pressure relief, and is purported to help improve the quality of your sleep. Each pillow is purposefully designed with specific sleeping positions in mind, and the memory foam adapts to your body as you move throughout the night.
Pillow firmness makes a huge difference on your sleep quality and general comfort. It’s important to get the right pillow — pillows that are too flimsy or too thick may prevent the spine from aligning properly.
Loft and firmness
- Side sleepers are recommended to use a pillow with a high loft to ensure that their neck and head are in a neutral position.
- Back sleepers should aim for a low-to-medium loft pillow for the proper amount of support.
- Stomach sleepers can best benefit from a softer, flatter pillow. Although this position is generally not well-regarded, as it can lead to future neck pain. Back or stomach sleepers should steer clear of a high loft because it may strain your neck. Look for pillows under 5 inches if you are a stomach sleeper.
Medium-firm pillows are a great option for people who switch sleep positions throughout the night. Firm pillows are the ideal option for side sleepers or sleepers who are larger bodied as they offer enough neck support.
Lastly, adjustable pillows are a good option for those who are unsure about what they prefer.
|Pillows||Pricing||Cooling||Who it’s for||Support|
|TEMPUR Essential Support Pillow||$||no||back and side sleepers looking for a pillow that can improve neck alignment and relieve pressure points||extra soft|
|TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow||$||no||back sleepers looking for a take-anywhere, one-and-done pillow||extra soft|
|TEMPUR-Neck Pillow||$$||no||back and side sleepers who need support first and comfort second||extra firm|
|TEMPUR Symphony Pillow||$$||no||combination sleepers who need ergonomic versatility||soft/medium|
|TEMPUR-Cloud Pro Pillow||$$–$$$||yes||stomach sleepers who want control over how soft and supportive their pillow feels||soft, medium, or firm|
|TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow||$$$||yes||hot sleepers who want plush memory foam with a cooling gel infusion||medium|
|TEMPUR-Down Precise Support Pillow||$$–$$$||no||people who love a puffy, soft feeling pillow and adjustable support||medium|
Construction and materials
Tempur-Pedic pillows feature all the same proprietary memory foam, but the configuration varies slightly between pillows.
The pillows with down are a great option for someone who wants a fluffy, soft option with less loft.
If you tend to sleep hot, you may want to choose one of the versions without a memory foam comfort layer, since memory foam can trap heat.
If you are someone who prefers to fall deeply into your pillow rather than float above it, memory foam is a good option for you.
Tempur-Pedic has been a leader in bedding since the ’90s and is known for making memory foam mainstream. The company has a reputation for quality, which further sets its pillows apart from others on the market.
Currently, Tempur-Pedic isn’t ranked by the Better Business Bureau.
In terms of transparency, Tempur-Pedic provides detailed information about the materials used in its products on the frequently asked questions (FAQ) section of its website.
The brand is constantly innovating and releasing new products. Many reviews describe Tempur-Pedic’s products as “life changing.”
Tempur-Pedic pillows ship free all over the United States, and your order typically arrives within 7 business days.
Tempur-Pedic allows returns only if the product was damaged during delivery or if there is a defect. Unlike most brands, there is no trial period. If you’re picky, you may want to buy from a brand with a trial period. If you purchased your pillow at a different store, the store’s rules for returns and exchanges may be different.
Tempur-Pedic offers a 5-year limited warranty on its pillows, which covers any manufacturing or material defects. The brand will repair or replace your pillow for free. You’ll need to show proof of purchase, so make sure you have a copy of your receipt.
Tempur-Pedic isn’t the only premium pillow option out there. Several competitors claim their pillows are game-changing sleep accessories.
- Saatva. Saatva’s latex pillows share a similar price point with Tempur-Pedic’s. Latex is less likely to trap heat, and some people feel it’s a more durable material than memory foam. Latex is also plusher and bouncier. Saatva does also make a memory foam pillow if that’s your preference.
- Pacific Coast. This company sells luxury-grade feather, down, and down alternative pillows. Pacific Coast pillows are made for people who prefer to sink into the plushness of their pillow.
- Casper. Casper sells memory foam pillows similar to Tempur-Pedic’s. The company also has memory foam, down, and hybrid pillow choices.
Are Tempur-Pedic pillows worth it?
The answer to this question is a bit subjective. There are thousands of reviews from customers who say that yes, their Tempur-Pedic pillow was “worth it.” People who have neck and back pain, and people who aren’t satisfied with the comfort level of their mattress might be especially impressed with Tempur-Pedic.
The bottom line: Lots of people have had a great experience with the product. For everyday use, it’s worth the price tag if it’s really helping you sleep. For your guest pillows or for use as a backup pillow, it’s probably not worth it.
Do Tempur-Pedic pillows hurt your neck?
Some people may find that a Tempur-Pedic pillow actually aggravates their neck pain. Side sleepers may find they need the higher rise models that Tempur-Pedic sells, and that the lower firmness and thinner options actually contribute to neck pain.
Of course, there are hundreds of people who swear that Tempur-Pedic helped their neck pain go away, so keep that in mind, too.
Are Tempur-Pedic pillows the best on the market?
Tempur-Pedic may well be one of the most trusted names in the pillow and sleep industry. That doesn’t mean that these pillows are the best on the market for you. Everyone has different sleeping preferences, and there is no one-size-fits-all pillow that’s great for everyone.
If you want to invest in a pillow that performs well, Tempur-Pedic is a solid choice. A quality pillow can improve your sleep quality, relieve pain, and leave you feeling happier and more energized. With so many different options to choose from, make sure you do your research before purchasing.
Iman Balagam is a writer based in Houston, Texas. When she’s not laughing at her own jokes, or buying overpriced chia pudding, she can be found reading fiction novels, catching a spin class, doomscrolling through TikTok, or waiting for her delayed Spirit flight to board. You can see more of her work on her website.