Having itchy eyes can be uncomfortable. Luckily, getting itchy eyes is rarely ever a serious health concern.
The most likely things to cause it are:
- dry eyes
- allergic rhinitis (such as seasonal allergies or hay fever)
- eye infection (such as various types of conjunctivitis)
- improper contact lens fit or material
- getting something stuck in your eye
- atopic dermatitis or eczema
In these cases, itchy eyes are fairly safe and easy to treat at home.
Here are two reliable home remedies that you can use to treat itchy eyes.
Always make sure to see a doctor if symptoms become severe enough to affect your day-to-day life.
Over-the-counter eye drops for itch relief are always helpful.
Some are designed for allergies and redness, while others work like artificial tears for dryness. The best types are preservative free. Some help all these conditions in addition to itching.
You can also try a cold compress.
A cold-water compress can relive the itch and have a soothing effect on your eyes. Simply take a clean cloth, soak it in cold water, and apply to closed itchy eyes, repeating as often as needed.
Most cases of itchy eyes don’t last very long, and they might even go away on their own.
To be safe, see a doctor if:
- you feel there is something lodged in your eye
- an eye infection develops
- your vision starts to get worse
- your itchy eyes turn into moderate to severe eye pain
If you experience any of the above, discontinue home treatments immediately and visit your doctor.