We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Big Fig, short for bigger figure, is an American company that designs and manufactures mattresses, foundations, and bed frames for people in larger bodies.
The company was founded in 2016 to address what the founders saw as a gap in the mattress market.
Big Fig produces one mattress type. It can only be purchased through the company’s website.
In this article, we’ll go over the pros and cons of the Big Fig Mattress.
Big Fig pros
- Sturdiness and durability. The Big Fig Mattress is constructed to support a combined, distributed weight of 1,000 pounds.
- Support. Additional support is provided by an 18-slat foundation, which is included in the mattress price. The foundation can support up to 2,000 pounds.
- Warranty. It comes with a 20-year warranty that includes free repair or replacement.
- Refund policy. You can try the Big Fig Mattress at home for 120 nights. If it doesn’t meet your requirements, the company will pick it up and give you a full refund.
- Materials. The Big Fig Mattress is made from CertiPUR-US certified foam. It doesn’t contain ozone-depleting materials (or those that are harmful to the ozone and environment), PBDE flame retardants, formaldehyde, heavy metals, or phthalates, as regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Big Fig cons
- Firmness. The Big Fig Mattress is firm, so it can support people with more weight comfortably, without sinking or sagging. While that is a pro for many people, it may be a con for those who prefer a plush, pillow top feel to their mattress.
- Sleeping position comfort. People of all body types can sleep on a Big Fig Mattress, but people with moderate weight or those in smaller bodies may find it very firm, especially if they are side sleepers.
- Heavy. The mattress and foundation are heavy, and the foundation requires assembly.
- Price. Big Fig is pricier than other mattress brands, though the company says the mattress is meant to last 20 years. They do offer financing, but the mattress may still be too expensive for some budgets.
Big Fig is typically more expensive than other types of mattresses, but the company offers several financing options. Mattresses also go on sale several times a year.
Currently, the Big Fig Mattress, including its foundation, costs:
|Big Fig Mattress Sizes||Big Fig Mattress Prices|
- Mattress type: Hybrid
- Mattress height: 13 inches
- Good for: People with more weight who sleep in any position, people with less weight who are back sleepers
The Big Fig’s two top layers are made from fabrics and treatments designed to increase airflow and breathability and provide a cool sleeping experience.
The mattress is reinforced with high-density foam for added support along the edges.
The Big Fig Mattress has undergone multiple tests for durability, life span, height loss, and structural integrity. Information about the tests and their results can be found here:
Users consistently give Big Fig high marks. Many people mention reduced neck, back, and hip pain after use, as well as a comfortable night’s sleep.
Some users give Big Fig good to great marks for reduced motion transfer between sleeping partners.
Based on reviews, sleeping partners with less weight may find the Big Fig to be too firm.
This mattress does need to be rotated regularly. Since it’s a heavy mattress, this may be difficult for some people.
The Big Fig Mattress and foundation arrive boxed. The mattress will be compressed.
You may notice a slight off-gassing smell for a day or two after opening the mattress, though many users mention that this smell is faint or, for some, nonexistent.
Is assembly needed?
The foundation does require tool-free assembly — instructions are available on the company’s website.
Both the mattress and foundation are heavy, so moving them from the front door to the bedroom may require a couple of people.
How much does a Big Fig mattress weigh?
Based on the size you buy, the mattress weighs anywhere from 68 pounds for a twin to 135 pounds for a California king. The foundation weighs anywhere from 46 pounds for a twin to 83 pounds for a California king.
Will they take my old mattress?
If you choose, you can purchase white-glove service that includes delivery, unboxing, and setup of your mattress for an additional $199. If you wish to have your old mattress removed, the fee will increase to $249.
It’s important to note that white-glove service will increase the time for your mattress to arrive. Without white-glove delivery, you can expect your mattress to arrive in 5 to 7 business days. With white-glove delivery, your mattress will arrive within 2 to 3 weeks.
Big Fig has an A+ rating through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and is an accredited BBB member. Currently, Big Fig has 0 customer complaints on the BBB website.
The company has had no recalls and hasn’t been involved in any lawsuits.
Big Fig is an American company that produces one hybrid mattress type. It’s designed specifically for people in larger bodies or with more weight.
Big Fig is a sturdy and durable mattress that’s very firm. It may be more comfortable for people with more weight than those of moderate weight and height.
This mattress gets consistently high marks from customers for comfort, quality, and support.