An asthma attack can be a serious medical emergency. Some homeopathic remedies are said to help treat symptoms. But, very little evidence suggests that homeopathy is an effective treatment.
Asthma is best treated through medication and avoiding allergens that can trigger an attack. Home remedies for asthma are not advised.
A 2019 review of controlled trials on homeopathy as an asthma treatment found inconclusive results and possible bias in the studies.
In 2015, the
A 2010 U.K. House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report concluded that homeopathic remedies don’t perform any better than a placebo, which has no treatment effect.
Conventional vs. homeopathic treatment
For asthma symptoms, doctors usually prescribe medications such as:
- bronchodilator inhalers that relax the muscles of the airways to increase air flow, such as Proventil, Ventolin (albuterol), and Xopenex (levalbuterol)
- steroid inhalers that reduce inflammation, such as Pulmicort (budesonide) and Flovent (fluticasone)
Homeopathic doctors and homeopaths — those who practice homeopathic medicine — suggest highly diluted natural medications. They believe these will help the body to heal itself.
In homeopathic medicine, the goal is to treat asthma with a minimal dose that can result in symptoms similar to asthma. This is said to trigger the body’s natural defenses.
According to the National Institutes of Health, homeopathic treatments for asthma include:
Whether you’re using homeopathic or conventional treatment, get to the nearest emergency medical facility if you experience symptoms including:
- the inability to get your asthma attack under control, especially if you have a rescue inhaler
- extreme breathlessness, especially early in the morning or late at night
- tightness in your chest
- blue or gray fingernails and lips
Asthma is a serious medical condition. There’s little, if any, scientific evidence that homeopathy offers an effective treatment for it.
A severe asthma attack that doesn’t improve with home treatment can become a life-threatening emergency. Keep an eye on your symptoms and seek emergency help if needed.
If you’re considering a homeopathic treatment, discuss your thoughts with your doctor and review all treatment options and risks before reaching a decision.