Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners frequently use crystals to aid in healing the mind and body.
One such crystal is the purple amethyst, which is thought to be powerful. While ayurvedic and natural health practitioners may recommend using amethysts for healing, not much scientific research supports their use.
Keep reading to find out about the potential healing properties of amethysts, plus more about other crystals used for mental and physical healing.
Physical health claims
According to online claims, amethysts are said to have several physical healing properties, including:
- enhancing the immune system
- improving endocrine function
- improving the skin’s appearance
- promoting digestive health
- reducing headaches
- regulating hormones
These are all scientifically unproven claims, however. While some of these benefits may be real, the scientific community views research as proof of effectiveness — and in this case, there hasn’t been much of it.
Emotional and mental health claims
Amethysts have been the subject of legend and myth, including one about mental health.
In Greek mythology, a titan named Rhea gave the god of wine, Dionysus, an amethyst to help preserve his sanity. In fact, this myth led the ancient Romans to believe that amethysts could keep them from getting drunk.
Today natural health practitioners don’t use amethysts for the same purpose as the Romans, though some do use them in treating addiction.
Instead, amethysts are said to promote serenity and calm. Those who work with crystals may use the gemstones as a way to help reduce your anxiety and perceptions of pain.
Yet, scientists haven’t proven any of these claims regarding amethyst’s ability to enhance mental health.
Metaphysical properties claims
Amethysts are reported to open a person’s third eye. The third eye is considered to be a source of power and wisdom.
Crystal practitioners believe a person can use amethysts to enhance or sharpen spiritual visions and enlightenment. Again, these are scientifically unproven claims.
Metaphysical crystal practitioners may also believe that amethyst geodes or crystals placed in your home will absorb negative energy and create an air of tranquility in the space.
Plus, they claim that amethysts help block electromagnetic frequencies and “geopathic stress” that can foster negativity. This is said to occur when human-made objects disrupt the earth’s natural energy.
If you’d like to try out the reported healing benefits of amethysts for yourself, here are a few ways you can incorporate them into your life:
- Carry a small amethyst crystal in your pocket or purse.
- Wear jewelry made from amethysts, such as a necklace, bracelet, or ring.
- Place amethyst crystals or geodes in your home.
Alternative medicine practitioners may use amethysts and other crystals in healing by placing them around the body. Or, they might place them on the parts of the body associated with different chakras or energy paths.
Other ways to use crystals include:
- carrying them with you
- drinking from crystal-infused water bottles (best to purchase from a trusted manufacturer)
- manifesting, such as holding the crystal and speaking a wish or hope
- placing them in a bath (just make sure the crystal can be in water)
Because crystals are said to absorb energy, it’s recommended that you cleanse them after use.
Those who use crystals for healing have hundreds of gemstones they may use. Some of the most popular types include the following:
- Clear quartz. Practitioners have used clear quartz for thousands of years to clear the mind and heal the body.
- Rose quartz. Like its rosy hue, the rose quartz stone is thought to open up the heart chakra to encourage love and forgiveness.
- Jasper. Red jasper is thought to enhance motivation as well as creativity.
- Obsidian. Obsidian is a crystal said to act as a shield against negative energy, stress, and tension.
- Citrine. This is a “manifestation stone” whose properties are thought to help make wishes and hopes come true. It’s also a stone of positivity and happiness.
- Turquoise. Turquoise is a well-known blue stone used for healing, protection, and luck. Giving turquoise as a gift is thought to magnify its healing powers.
- Tiger’s eye. This crystal is said to boost creativity and give you the confidence to create.
- Moonstone. Moonstone is thought to help you embark on new beginnings, and brings success and good fortune.
- Bloodstone. Bloodstone is said to enhance energy and help you meet personal or professional goals.
- Sapphire. These gems are thought to provide protection and strength; for example, they might strengthen your intuition and will.
- Ruby. Red rubies are believed to enhance heart health as well as energy, concentration, and creativity.
Like amethysts, there isn’t any scientific evidence to prove the healing properties of other crystals. These studies may prove difficult to design, which may be one reason why so few exist.
Amethysts are rumored to have mental and physical healing properties, yet no scientific evidence exists to support these claims.
Despite this, they remain a beautiful, vibrant, and decorative stone that may help you focus your energy for meditation.
Amethysts can be purchased at most natural health stores, online, or at jewelry stores.