The Healthline & NAMI
Our 2019 Stronger Scholarship is now closed
Check back next year for our 2020 Stronger Scholarship -- theme to be determined.
Meet our 2019 scholars
Healthline’s 2019 Stronger Scholarship sponsored four students making strides in the areas of mental health.
Mental health issues are on the rise around the world — and we want to help do something about it.
The numbers are staggering. An estimated 322 million people around the world live with depression. Over 44 million American adults have a mental health condition, and only 41% of those have received treatment in the last year. Recent reports indicate that depression is one of the greatest mental health challenges facing Americans today.
This year, Healthline is dedicating its annual scholarship funds to four outstanding students working to change the face — and future — of mental health.
With a reach of over 100 million visitors per month, Healthline’s mission is to help build a stronger, healthier world by providing the highest quality content and generating conversations on the most important health and wellness topics affecting people today.
This year, we’re putting a spotlight on depression, anxiety, and more by teaming up with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), a patient advocacy organization dedicated to individuals with mental health conditions.
NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Here are just a few of the ways NAMI implements change:
- Education. Offered in thousands of communities across the United States NAMI’s education programs ensure hundreds of thousands of families, individuals and educators get the support and information they need.
- Advocacy. NAMI helps shape national public policy for people with mental illness and their families and provides volunteer leaders with the tools, resources and skills necessary to save mental health in all states.
- Listening. The toll-free NAMI HelpLine allows trained individuals to respond personally to hundreds of thousands of requests each year, providing free information and support—a much-needed lifeline for many.
- Leadership. Public awareness events and activities, including Mental Illness Awareness Week and NAMIWalks, successfully fight stigma and encourage understanding. NAMI also works with reporters on a daily basis to make sure our country understands how important mental health is.
Together with NAMI, Healthline is launching our 2019 scholarship program, which aims to assist and empower college students making a positive impact on mental health.
About the scholarship
This year’s scholarship is dedicated to the advancement of mental health, either through research, raising awareness, community building, or combatting stigma. The program will award four students with a $5,000 scholarship each. The awarded scholarships will include:
- Two scholarships awarded to undergraduate recipients making an impact on mental health
- Two scholarships awarded to graduate recipients making an impact on mental health
Meet our 2018 scholars
Healthline’s 2018 Stronger Scholarship sponsored four students making strides in the areas of chronic and rare diseases.
Meet our 2017 scholars
Healthline’s 2017 Stronger Scholarship sponsored two students making strides in the Type 2 Diabetes community.
More from Healthline and NAMI
Eligibility and how to apply
Requirements for eligibility include:
- Current student in pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree (as of fall 2019)
- Current U.S. resident
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from most recent college transcript
- Demonstrated involvement in the advancement of the mental health profession, either through research, patient advocacy, raising awareness, or community building
- March 1 - May 1, 2019: Application opens
- June 15, 2019: Winners notified
- August 1, 2019: Funds distributed to University
How to apply:
- Click the “Apply Now” button (below) or go to https://aim.applyISTS.net/Healthline to create an AIM account using your email address and chosen password.
- Log in to your AIM account to be taken directly to the Welcome page of The Healthline and NAMI Stronger Scholarship Program application.
- Complete all required fields in the online application, and upload any required documents (such as GED certificate, high school transcript, college transcript, and/or ACT/SAT scores). As part of the application process, you’ll be required to upload answers to three essay questions.
- Click the Submit button on the Save/Submit page of the online application.
NOTE: The status “Complete” will display on your AIM home page when all forms have been submitted and all documents have been verified. Applicants are responsible for monitoring the progress of all application requirements to make sure their application is complete by 11:59 p.m. PST on May 1st. Late submissions will not be considered.
The Healthline and NAMI Stronger Scholarship Program is administered by International Scholarship and Tuition Services, Inc. (ISTS). For additional information or assistance with the application process, click here or call toll-free (855) 670-ISTS(4787). ISTS' office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central. Please view answers to our frequently asked questions here.