Though beer is foamy, flavorful, and refreshing, it can be tricky to find ones that meet your needs if you’re on a low calorie diet.
Yet, the beer scene has diversified in recent years, so increasing numbers of scrumptious brews don’t pack too many calories.
Here are 50 of the best low calorie beers.
Lagers are the most popular type of beer (
Most commonly described as a crisp beer, they’re known for their light, clean taste — although pilsners, a type of lager, are slightly bitterer. They come in three main colors — pale, amber, and dark (
Low calorie lagers – 12 ounces (354 ml)
Here’s a list of low calorie lagers along with their alcohol by volume (ABV) percentage.
- Budweiser Select (2.4% ABV): 55 calories
- Molson Ultra (3% ABV): 70 calories
- Moosehead Cracked Canoe (3.5% ABV): 90 calories
- Sleeman Light (4% ABV): 90 calories
- Busch Light (4.1% ABV): 91 calories
- Labatt Premier (4% ABV): 92 calories
- Amstel Light (4% ABV): 95 calories
- Anheuser-Busch Natural Light (4.2% ABV): 95 calories
- Miller Light (4.2% ABV): 96 calories
- Heineken Light (4.2% ABV): 97 calories
- Bud Select (2.4% ABV): 99 calories
- Corona Light (3.7% ABV): 99 calories
- Yuengling Light Lager (3.8% ABV): 99 calories
- Coors Light (4.2% ABV): 102 calories
- Carlsberg Lite (4% ABV): 102 calories
- Bud Light (4.2% ABV): 103 calories
- Labatt Blue Light (4% ABV): 108 calories
- Brava Light (4% ABV): 112 calories
- Moosehead Light (4% ABV): 115 calories
- Samuel Adams (4.3% ABV): 124 calories
Many people confuse lagers and ales due to their similar appearance.
However, ales are typically produced in northern, colder countries, such as Canada, Germany, and Belgium — and are commonly made by microbreweries. They’re brewed at higher temperatures and fermented using a different yeast strain (
Unlike lagers, ales tend to have a fruity taste and stronger, bitterer flavor. India pale ale (IPA) and saison are among the most popular varieties.
Low calorie ales – 12 ounces (354 ml)
Here are some popular low calorie ales.
- Le Petit Prince (2.9% ABV): 75 calories
- Dogfish Head Slighty Mighty (4% ABV): 95 calories
- Lagunitas DayTime (4% ABV): 98 calories
- Boulevard Brewing Easy Sport (4.1% ABV) 99 calories
- Lakefront Eazy Teazy (3.4% ABV): 99 calories
- Kona Kanaha Blonde Ale (4.2% ABV): 99 calories
- Southern Tier Swipe Light (4% ABV): 110 calories
- Mural Agua Fresca Cerveza (4% ABV): 110 calories
- Harpoon Rec League (3.8% ABV): 120 calories
- Boston Beer 26.2 Brew (4% ABV): 120 calories
- Firestone Walker Easy Jack (4% ABV): 120 calories
- River Trip Pale Ale (4.8% ABV): 128 calories
- Oarsman Ale (4% ABV): 137 calories
- Southern Tier 8 Days a Week Blonde Ale (4.8% ABV): 144 calories
- Fat Tire Amber Ale (5.2% ABV): 160 calories
While they’re known for being higher in calories, the roasting process generally affects the color of the beer rather than the calorie count. As such, you can enjoy a number of low calorie stouts (
Low calorie stouts – 12 ounces (354 ml)
Here are some great low-calorie stouts you can try.
- Guinness Extra (5.6% ABV): 126 calories
- Odell Brewing Cutthroat (5% ABV): 145 calories
- Young’s Double Chocolate Stout (5.2% ABV): 150 calories
- Taddy Porter (5% ABV): 186 calories
- Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (5% ABV): 190 calories
- Murphy’s Irish Stout (4% ABV): 192 calories
Since most beer is made from barley and wheat, it’s generally unsuitable for those following a gluten-free diet. However, gluten-free beer — made from grains like millet, sorghum, and rice — has recently surged in popularity (6).
This type of beer cannot be made with gluten-containing grains and must be under a gluten level of 20 ppm (6).
Alternatively, gluten-removed or -reduced beers use enzymes to break down gluten into smaller particles.
Low calorie gluten-free beers – 12 ounces (354 ml)
These gluten-free beers are low in calories but excel in flavor.
- Glutenberg Blonde (4.5% ABV): 160 calories
- Green’s IPA (6% ABV): 160 calories
- Holidaily Favorite Blonde (5% ABV): 161 calories
- Coors Peak (4.7% ABV): 170 calories
Non-alcoholic beer can be great for those who avoid or limit alcohol but still want to enjoy a cold beverage.
Yet, in the United States, non-alcoholic beers can contain up to 0.5% alcohol. As such, they’re unsuitable if you’re pregnant or recovering from alcoholism (
Low calorie non-alcoholic beers – 12 ounces (354 ml)
With the rise of non-alcoholic beers, many companies have created delicious, low calorie options.
- Coors Edge (0.5% ABV): 45 calories
- Becks Non-Alcoholic Beer (0.0% ABV): 60 calories
- Heineken 0.0 (0.0% ABV): 69 calories
- Bavaria 0.0% Beer (0.0% ABV): 85 calories
- Budweiser Prohibition Brew (0.0% ABV): 150 calories
Low calorie beer is not synonymous with low alcohol beer.
If you’re of legal drinking age, limit your intake to no more than 1 drink per day for women or 2 drinks per day for men (
Finally, avoid alcohol completely if you’re pregnant, as it can significantly increase the risk of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (