Blue cheese is a common type of cheese that’s known for its strong smell and distinct flavor.
Although most people have tried blue cheese, many are unfamiliar with how it’s made and whether it can go bad.
This article takes a closer look at what blue cheese is, how it’s made, and whether it’s safe to eat moldy blue cheese.
Blue cheese is a type of cheese made using cultures of Penicillium, a type of mold.
Certain types of mold produce compounds called mycotoxins, which are considered toxic to humans (
These mold spores can grow on foods due to spoilage, and they’re typically fuzzy and white, green, black, blue, or grey (
However, unlike these types of mold, the varieties of Penicillium used to produce blue cheese don’t produce toxins and are considered safe to consume (
During the cheesemaking process, Penicillium is added after the curds have been drained and rolled into wheels. The blue cheese is then left to age for 2–3 months before it’s ready to enjoy.
Penicillium is responsible for the distinct taste and smell of blue cheese, along with its signature blue and green veins and spots (
Blue cheese is made using Penicillium, a type of mold that’s responsible for its unique taste, smell, and appearance. Unlike other types of mold, Penicillium does not produce toxins and is safe to consume.
Like other types of cheese, blue cheese can go bad if it’s not properly stored.
Therefore, it’s important to store blue cheese tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
If stored properly, blue cheese can last 3–4 weeks in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze blue cheese to help extend its shelf life even further.
Although freezing blue cheese may slightly alter its texture and appearance, it remains safe indefinitely when frozen.
Blue cheese can go bad if it’s not stored properly. If wrapped and refrigerated, blue cheese can last 3–4 weeks. Frozen blue cheese can last indefinitely, although freezing it may slightly alter its texture and appearance.
If you notice any signs of spoilage on your blue cheese, you should discard it immediately.
In particular, fuzzy white, green, pink, or grey spots growing on the surface of blue cheese may indicate that it has gone bad.
Additionally, cheese that develops a strong odor similar to ammonia may be spoiled.
Storing blue cheese properly and practicing food safety is the best way to prevent these negative side effects and enjoy blue cheese safely.
Blue cheese should be discarded if there are any changes in its appearance or smell. Consuming spoiled blue cheese can cause food poisoning and increase exposure to harmful mycotoxins.
Blue cheese is made using a type of mold called Penicillium, which is responsible for its distinct taste, smell, and appearance.
Unlike other types of mold, the types of Penicillium used to produce blue cheese do not produce mycotoxins and are considered safe to consume.
However, blue cheese can still go bad, so it’s important to practice basic food safety practices and store blue cheese properly.