We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Hello Fresh and Sun Basket are two companies aiming to make healthy eating easy and fun with their flavorful meal kits.
While both can be good options to improve your culinary confidence, there are several key differences between the two services to consider.
This article reviews some of the pros and cons of Hello Fresh and Sun Basket to help you determine which is right for you.
|Hello Fresh||Sun Basket|
|Basics||• provides meal kits with premeasured ingredients and simple recipes|
• offers plans with 2–5 recipes and 1, 2, or 4 servings each
|• meal delivery service with organic meal kits and oven-ready meals|
• offers plans for multiple dietary patterns
• provides 2–4 recipes per week with 2 or 4 servings each
|Menu options||• rotating menu with 23 meal kits per week|
• offers calorie-smart, carb-smart, and vegetarian options
|• rotating menu with 17 meal kits and 9 oven-ready entrées|
• offers low calorie, gluten-free, vegetarian, paleo, and diabetes-friendly meals
• optional add-ons available, including breakfast, lunch, and snacks
|Cost||• One Serving: $8.99–$12.49 per serving|
• Two Servings: $8.99–$12.49 per serving
• Four Servings: $7.49–$8.99 per serving
• shipping: $8.99 per box
|• Fresh & Ready meals: $8.99–$11.99 per serving|
• Meal kits: $10.99–$13.99 per serving
• shipping calculated based on location
|Effectiveness||• calorie-smart, carb-smart, and vegetarian, options may promote weight loss|
• preparing more meals at home may aid weight loss
|• low calorie, high protein, and fiber-rich meals may support weight loss|
• caters to dietary patterns linked to weight loss
• encourages preparing more home-cooked meals
• offers a variety of meals
• multiple serving size options are available
• mostly recyclable packaging
|• nutritious, dietitian-approved meals|
• high quality ingredients
• eco-friendly packaging
• add-ons available
• offers meals that require little preparation
|Downsides||• limited options for restrictive diets|
• unsuitable for those with severe food allergies
• uses conventional ingredients
|• limited options for those following restrictive diets|
• relatively expensive
• unsuitable for those with celiac disease or severe food allergies
Here’s a brief overview of each service.
Hello Fresh provides dinner meal kits that are simple and delicious.
Each kit includes preportioned ingredients, plus a recipe card with easy-to-follow instructions.
They have a rotating menu with various recipes to choose from, which you can mix and match to create your own custom meal plan.
Each week, you can order 2–5 recipes with 1, 2, or 4 servings each, depending on your needs.
Sun Basket is a meal delivery service that specializes in providing high quality meal kits and oven-ready dinners.
They have plans that suit a variety of dietary restrictions and food preferences, including:
- Mediterranean: meals are rich in protein, fiber, and heart-healthy fats
- Chef’s Choice: provides a variety of recipes with fresh, seasonal ingredients
- Vegetarian: includes meals without any meat, fish, or poultry
- Pescatarian: provides plant-based meals that include wild-caught seafood
- Carb-Conscious: all meals contain 25–35 grams of net carbs
- Diabetes-Friendly: includes meals approved by the American Diabetes Association
- Fresh & Ready: entrées are ready to enjoy in 20 minutes or less
- Paleo: dishes are high in protein and made without corn, dairy, grains, or soy
- Gluten-Free: all recipes are free of added gluten and use wheat alternatives
- Lean & Clean: provides healthy meals that are low in calories and rich in important nutrients
Each week, you can select two to four recipes with either two or four servings each.
Sun Basket also offers an assortment of breakfast, lunch, and snack items, which you can order individually.
Here’s a look at meals you can expect to enjoy with each service.
Hello Fresh boasts an extensive rotating menu with at least 23 options to choose from each week.
A few of the recipes on their menu include:
- Apricot, Almond & Chickpea Tagine with Zucchini, Basmati Rice & Chermoula
- Southwestern Shrimp Tacos with Pico de Gallo & Hot Sauce Crema
- Tangy Tropical Chicken with Bell Pepper Over Ginger Rice
- Hot Honey Brussels & Ricotta Flatbreads with Parmesan & Italian Cheeses
Items that are vegetarian, calorie-smart, carb-smart, and spicy are labeled so on the menu.
Sun Basket offers around 17 meal kits and 9 Fresh & Ready entrées each week.
Some examples of meals available on their weekly menu include:
- Chicken Tikka Masala with Basmati Rice Pilaf
- Spanish Sole Fritters with Tomato-Cucumber Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Tostadas with Watercress Salad and Shichimi Cabbage
- Spicy Barbacoa Pulled-Pork Sliders with Mango Slaw
When selecting your meals, you can easily filter the menu to find options that are vegan, paleo, low calorie, or free of gluten, soy, or dairy.
You can also order optional add-ons for breakfast or lunch, such as oatmeal cups, grain salads, and mini pizzas.
Here is a breakdown of how much each service costs.
Hello Fresh has several subscription options available, which vary in price based on the number of servings and recipes you order.
Here’s how much you can expect to pay for Hello Fresh:
- One Serving: $8.99–$12.49 per serving
- Two Servings: $8.99–$12.49 per serving
- Four Servings: $7.49–$8.99 per serving
Hello Fresh is currently available throughout the contiguous United States, and there’s a delivery fee of $8.99 for all subscriptions.
Sun Basket’s price depends on the type of meals you order and the number of recipes and servings you select.
For example, Sun Basket meal kits typically cost $10.99–$13.99 per serving.
Meanwhile, Fresh & Ready meals are slightly cheaper, ranging from $8.99–$11.99 per serving.
The prices of add-ons like breakfasts, lunches, and snacks vary by item.
Shipping is available throughout most of the contiguous United States, and availability can be determined by entering your zip code on their website.
Sun Basket also charges a flat fee for delivery, which is calculated upon checkout and based on your location.
Both Hello Fresh and Sun Basket offer menu options that could be beneficial for weight loss.
Hello Fresh provides several calorie-smart entrées, meaning that they provide around 650 calories per serving.
They also label meals that are vegetarian or carb-smart, meaning they’re tailored to those who follow a low carb diet. Both vegetarian and low carb dietary patterns have been tied to weight loss (
Furthermore, Hello Fresh is designed to ease cooking and help you prepare more healthy meals on your own.
Sun Basket offers various high protein meals, with many dishes providing 30–50 grams of protein per serving.
Increasing your protein intake could decrease sensations of hunger and appetite, which may be beneficial for weight loss (
Plus, many meals are also low in calories. Decreasing your daily calorie intake can be an effective weight loss strategy (
Here are some of the other benefits associated with each service.
Hello Fresh starts at just $7.49 per serving and can be an affordable alternative to many other meal kits on the market.
It also offers a wide variety of meals and allows you to select entrées from their full menu to customize your weekly plan.
Plus, it provides recipes that include one to four servings each, making it easy to find an option that suits your needs.
Finally, Hello Fresh also uses packaging that’s mostly recyclable to help minimize their environmental impact.
All Sun Basket meals are dietitian-approved and highly nutritious. In fact, all meals are rich in essential nutrients like protein and fiber.
Sun Basket also uses fresh and seasonal ingredients, including organic fruits and veggies, responsibly raised meat, and sustainably sourced seafood.
Plus, they use packaging made mostly from recyclable materials, all of which can be reused, recycled, or composted.
Sun Basket also stands out from other services by offering additional meals and snacks beyond dinner.
What’s more, they provide both meal kits and oven-ready entrées for added convenience, many of which are ready to enjoy in as little as 6 minutes.
Here are a few of the downsides to consider with each service.
Although Hello Fresh features a rotating menu with a wide selection of recipes, limited options are available for those following gluten-free, vegan, ketogenic, or paleo diets.
Meal kits are also not manufactured in an allergen-free facility and may not be suitable for people with severe food allergies due to the risk of cross contamination.
Additionally, while some recipes contain organic ingredients, many also have conventional produce.
This may concern individuals who prefer to eat organic due to concerns regarding pesticide exposure or the potential long-term health effects of conventional foods (
With prices ranging from $8.99–$13.99 per serving, Sun Basket can be relatively expensive compared with similar meal delivery services.
Additionally, although it offers meals for various eating patterns, options for those following more restrictive diets, like vegan or ketogenic diets, may be limited.
Sun Basket meals are also produced in a facility that handles many major food allergens, which may not be safe for those with severe food allergies.
Their gluten-free menu is also unsuitable for people with celiac disease, as it may contain trace amounts of gluten.
Hello Fresh and Sun Basket are two companies popular for their healthy and delicious meal kits.
While Hello Fresh is more affordable and provides multiple serving size options, it may not be ideal for those with certain dietary restrictions.
Meanwhile, although Sun Basket is slightly more expensive, it has selections for several dietary patterns and offers optional add-ons like breakfast and lunch.