Getting your morning latte or cappuccino at your nearest coffee house may be a delicious way to start your day. Still, you may notice that it might be an expensive habit.
Milk frothers allow you to recreate those creamy, silky drinks at home and turn your morning ritual or afternoon pick-me-up into a mindful and pleasurable moment.
However, there are plenty of milk frothers to choose from and many details to take into consideration, including size, portability, capacity, and price.
Here are the 10 best milk frothers for 2021.
A note on price
General price ranges with dollar signs ($ to $$$) are indicated below. One dollar sign means the product is rather affordable, whereas three dollar signs indicate a higher price range.
- $ = under $40
- $$ = $41–$79
- $$$ = over $80
The Kuissential Slickfroth 2.0 is another low budget, lightweight milk frother that delivers a delicate foam.
This frother is battery-operated as well but has a powerful motor that vibrates all the way up to the handle.
Instead of having an on-off switch, the Kuissential Slickfroth has a single button at the top of the handle, which you should press and hold to get it to froth. Once you’re done, just place the whisk in soapy water and pulse a couple of times to clean it.
Just like the Aerolatte frother, this one works with all types of milk but doesn’t heat them.
It can also be used to mix powders, such as matcha or chocolate, into the milk or prepare any other recipe that needs whisking.
Lastly, this frother boasts a 2-year warranty but doesn’t come with a counter stand.
The PowerLix Milk Pro handheld frother is yet another elegant and compact frother that creates a creamy foam in about 20 seconds.
This one is also available in three colors: black, silver, and red — although only the black one includes a counter stand.
It has an ergonomic handle with a button that you press and hold to froth the milk — just like the Kuissential frother. The whisk is also made out of stainless steel, and it needs AA batteries to operate.
Plus, the PowerLix Milk Pro frother works with nondairy milk alternatives to make both hot or cold drinks, but note that just like the other handheld frothers, you’ll have to heat the milk beforehand.
Lastly, this frother offers a 100% lifetime warranty for a low price.
How to choose
There are multiple variables you should take into account when choosing a milk frother, including:
- Price. Handheld and manual frothers are generally on the cheaper side but still deliver excellent results.
- Size and portability. Electric and manual frothers are considerably larger than the handheld ones, but handheld and manual frothers work perfectly anywhere you go.
- Types of milk. All three types of frothers work with dairy and nondairy milks, but overall, it’s best to use full fat milk when using a manual frother to get more foam.
- Temperature. Electric frothers may be more convenient when it comes to temperature, as they heat the milk for you, although all three types of frothers will froth hot milk just fine.
- Ease of cleaning. Manual frothers are probably the easiest to clean since you don’t need to worry about getting the handle or electronics wet, as is the case with handheld and most electric frothers.
- Ease of use. If you’re looking for a frother that does the full job for you, an electric frother may be your best pick — followed by the handheld ones.
Once you have decided which type of frother best suits your need, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
The bottom line
Milk frothers will have you enjoying homemade lattes and cappuccinos at the push of a button.
If you’re interested in buying one, consider reviewing the features that are most important to you, such as counter or drawer space, whether its easy to use and clean, price, and if it works well with your milk of choice.
Once you have set your frothing priorities, you’ll find numerous options that can be divided into different functional categories, including electrical, handheld, or manual frothers.
Ultimately, they’ll all deliver a silky and creamy foam to top your favorite drink.