We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Delivery apps can be quick and convenient ways to get food delivered straight to your door.
There are a variety of options, with many apps offering delivery and pickup from restaurants, convenience stores, supermarkets, and even liquor stores.
However, there are many factors to consider when choosing a delivery app that’s right for you.
We selected these apps based on the following criteria:
- Availability: Most apps offer delivery in areas throughout the United States.
- Selection: Apps have partnered with a wide range of businesses and include various ordering options, including pickup, catering, or delivery.
- Range of available items: Some apps offer many different types of items, including foods and beverages from restaurants, convenience shops, grocery stores, and more.
- Additional fees: We prioritized apps that charge fewer fees to help you get the most bang for your buck.
- Convenience: All apps provide a convenient and time-saving way to order food delivery at home.
Here are 6 of the top delivery apps.
Offering fast and easy pickup and delivery for foods, drinks, and groceries, Postmates is one of the most popular delivery apps on the market.
It’s also one of the most versatile services, allowing you to order from restaurants, liquor stores, pharmacies, and even gas stations.
Restaurants and businesses are organized by category, and you can easily search or filter restaurants based on the type of cuisine.
Delivery fees depend on a variety of factors, including distance, time, and specific restaurant or business.
Free delivery is also available for restaurant orders over $15 and grocery orders over $30 through Postmates Unlimited, a membership program that costs $9.99 per month.
- allows you to order from restaurants, liquor stores, pharmacies, and gas stations
- free delivery included with Postmates Unlimited
- no commitment required for membership program
- delivery fees can be pricey without membership
- not available in all areas
Best grocery delivery
Using the app, you’re able to shop for products from your favorite local stores and schedule pickup or delivery in as little as 1 hour.
In addition to grocery stores, Instacart offers delivery from many pharmacies, pet stores, and other specialty shops.
Delivery starts at $3.99 for orders over $35, but fees for 1-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, or orders under $35 can vary.
Delivery is also free on orders over $35 for members of Instacart+, which costs $9.99 monthly or $99 per year.
- offers grocery delivery in as little as 1 hour
- free delivery for members of Instacart+
- provides delivery from wide selection of retailers
- selection may be limited in some rural areas
- prices are higher than those in store
- service fees and delivery fees can be expensive without membership
Best for pizza
Slice is the go-to app to support your favorite local pizzerias.
It offers both pickup and delivery and takes a smaller commission than other delivery apps, allowing independent pizza shops to keep costs low.
There are 17,000 pizzerias across the country currently available on Slice, and more are regularly added to the app.
Restaurants set their own delivery fees and minimum order amounts, and prices displayed on Slice are always the same as in the restaurant.
- takes smaller commission than other delivery apps
- partners with local pizzerias
- prices displayed on app are the same as in the restaurant
- no membership program
- only offers pizza
Featuring over 320,000 restaurants in 4,000 cities across the country, Grubhub provides an extensive selection of choices for both takeout and delivery.
You can easily filter restaurants based on the type of cuisine, rating, and delivery time using the app to find an option that works for you.
Catering is also available for larger orders, which can be scheduled up to 14 days in advance.
Delivery fees and minimum order amounts vary based on the specific restaurant.
Membership to Grubhub+ is also available for $9.99 per month, which provides unlimited delivery and access to exclusive perks.
- includes large selection of restaurants across the country
- offers catering for larger orders
- free delivery with Grubhub+
- prices are higher than those in restaurant
- service and delivery fees can be expensive
Best local delivery
If you’re looking for a simple way to support local restaurants in your community, ChowNow is definitely worth a download.
This commission-free online ordering platform connects customers to their favorite restaurants for easy pickup and delivery.
Because ChowNow doesn’t collect a commission, restaurants can offer cheaper delivery and fewer fees, making it a more cost-effective option for customers.
Delivery fees and minimum order amounts depend on the restaurant.
- doesn’t charge a commission to restaurants
- may be more budget-friendly than other apps
- helps support local restaurants in your community
- no subscription available
- fewer restaurants available than on some other apps
- options may be limited in rural areas
Best late-night delivery
GoPuff is one of the few food delivery services that offers 24-hour delivery in most major markets.
You can order just about everything from your favorite shops at any time, including foods, drinks, household essentials, medications, and more.
Delivery is available for a flat fee of just $2.95 and the order minimum depends on your specific area.
Plus, they offer a membership program for $5.95 per month, including free delivery, additional perks, and rewards.
- low delivery fee
- provides over 4,000 products to choose from
- offers delivery in as little as 30 minutes
- not available in all areas
- doesn’t allow you to order from specific restaurants or retailers
There are a few key factors to keep in mind when picking a food delivery app.
The availability of restaurants in your local area is especially important, as some cities may have more choices on certain platforms than others.
Some apps may also allow you to order a wider range of items, including alcohol, snacks, or groceries.
When selecting an app, you should also determine whether there are any additional costs to consider, such as delivery fees or service charges.
Certain apps may also have varying minimum order amounts, which may be important if you prefer placing smaller orders.
|Basics||offers delivery from restaurants, liquor stores, pharmacies, and gas stations||provides delivery from grocery stores and other retailers||partners with local pizzerias to offer delivery and pickup||offers delivery, pickup, and catering from restaurants around the country||provides pickup and delivery from local restaurants||delivers groceries and other essentials in as little as 30 minutes|
|Fees||delivery and service fees based on distance, time, and specific business||• $3.99+ delivery fee for orders over $35|
• service fee varies
|delivery fees set by specific restaurants||delivery and service fees depend on restaurant||delivery and service fees depend on restaurant||$2.95+ delivery fee|
|Subscription options||Postmates Unlimited: $9.99 per month||Instacart+: $9.99 per month or $99 per year||none||Grubhub+: $9.99 per month||none||GoPuff Fam: $5.95 per month|
|Pros||• allows you to order from restaurants, liquor stores, pharmacies, and gas station|
• free delivery included with Postmates Unlimited
• no commitment required for membership program
|• offers grocery delivery in as little as 1 hour|
• free delivery for members of Instacart
• provides delivery from wide selection of retailers
|• takes smaller commission than other delivery apps|
• partners with local pizzerias
• prices displayed on app are the same as in the restaurant
|• includes large selection of restaurants across the country|
• offers catering for larger orders
free delivery with Grubhub+
|• doesn’t charge commission to restaurant|
• may be more budget-friendly than other apps
• helps support local restaurants in your community
|• low delivery fee|
provides over 4,000 products to choose from
• offers delivery in as little as 30 minutes
|Cons||• delivery fees can be pricey without membership|
• not available in all areas
|• selection may be limited in some rural areas|
• prices are higher than those in store
• service fees and delivery fees can be expensive without membership
|• no membership program available|
• only offers pizza
|• prices are higher than those in restaurant|
• service and delivery fees can be expensive
|• no subscription available|
• fewer restaurants available than on other apps
• options may be limited in rural areas
|• not available in all areas|
• doesn’t allow you to order from specific restaurants or retailers
|Best for||versatility||groceries||pizza||lots of options||local delivery||late-night delivery|
What food delivery apps take cash?
Though most food delivery apps only accept credit card payments, there are a few options available if you’d prefer to pay with cash, including Grubhub. However, keep in mind that not all restaurants on Grubhub may accept cash as a payment option.
How do food delivery apps work?
Most food delivery apps charge restaurants a commission fee to connect them to customers in their area. Services like Grubhub and Postmates also handle deliveries directly and may charge customers a service fee to account for this cost.
Some other food delivery apps, such as ChowNow, don’t charge a commission but provide an online ordering system for restaurants in exchange for a flat monthly or annual fee.
What food delivery apps take Venmo?
Grubhub and GoPuff are two of the most popular food delivery apps that allow you to pay with Venmo. Other apps that accept Venmo include Doordash and Uber Eats.
Whether you’re looking to order takeout or groceries, many food delivery apps are available.
In fact, plenty of options offer everything from late-night deliveries to pickup and takeout from your favorite local restaurants.
Be sure to consider the availability in your area, selection of restaurants and businesses, range of available items, and additional service or delivery charges.