We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best overall: ASICS Gel-Nimbus 23
- Best women’s shoe: ASICS Gel-Cumulus 22
- Best men’s shoe: ASICS Gel-Kayano 26
- Best splurge: ASICS MetaRun
- Best affordable: ASICS Gel-Contend 6
- Best cushioning: ASICS NovaBlast
- Best for trail runners: ASICS Gel-Sonoma 6
- Best for distance runners: ASICS MetaRide
- Best for stability and support: ASICS GT 2000 9
Founded in 1949 in Japan, Asics is an athletic gear company that’s well known for producing high quality running shoes.
Specifically, Asics running shoes are known for their comfortable fit and support, making them a favorite among casual and distance runners alike.
What’s more, Asics conducts rigorous product testing to ensure consistency and quality. In fact, the company’s research department is continually looking for new ways to improve the overall design of its shoes.
But with so many high performance shoes to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which Asics running shoe is right for you.
We included running shoes based on the following criteria:
- Quality. We looked for Asics shoes that are durable and comfortable.
- Additional features. The shoes on this list offer features that make them ideal for certain running styles.
- Value. We considered running shoes that provide a good value for the price.
- Customer reviews. The shoes on this list have mostly positive customer reviews.
Here are the 9 best Asics running shoes in 2021.
The Nimbus has been part of the Asics lineup for decades, and it’s a favorite among runners for its durability and comfortable fit.
The shoe features Asics’s patented FlyteFoam technology, which is designed to alleviate muscle strain and pain.
It’s a good option for distance running, as well as daily wear, as it’s lightweight and has a supportive gel heel to absorb impact and shock.
Best women’s shoe
If you’re looking for a no-nonsense running shoe, the Gel-Cumulus 23 is worth considering.
The shoe is moderately cushioned and features a midsole that’s designed specifically to support the natural gait of female runners.
While it’s a good option for distance running, some reviewers note that it’s a bit heavy for speedwork.
Best men’s shoe
The Gel-Kayano 26 is a stable, comfortable shoe that’s ideal for beginners and distance runners alike.
In addition to its durable outsole, the shoe features just enough support and cushioning to prevent ankle rolls.
It’s also designed to help absorb shock, which protects your knees when logging miles on pavement.
While it’s more expensive than other models, the ASICS MetaRun is a high performance running shoe that’s designed to adapt to your running style.
Thanks to the company’s patented technology, the shoe is stable and supportive, with reviewers noting that it offers unparalleled comfort and fit.
Overall, the MetaRun is a great option if you plan on logging long distances walking or running. However, as it features maximum cushioning, it’s not ideal if you prefer a more minimalistic running shoe.
Costing less than $100, the Gel-Contend 7 is one of the best affordable running shoes on the market.
With ample cushioning, a rubber outsole, supportive insole, and gel heel, it’s perfect for daily wear and distance running.
Plus, it features a breathable mesh upper and a special sock liner for moisture control to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
If you’re looking for a soft, supportive shoe — one with plenty of cushioning, stability, and support — look no further than the NovaBlast.
The NovaBlast features a thick wedge heel, plush insole, and FlyteFoam midsole, all of which result in a soft and exceptionally bouncy ride.
Despite being highly cushioned, reviewers note that the NovaBlast is still responsive and lightweight, making it a good option for sprints or distance running.
Best for trail runners
The Asics Gel-Sonoma 6 is made for off-road adventures, as it’s comfortable, durable, and offers great grip.
The shoe is designed with a secured midfoot and wide toe box, both of which keep your feet stable while providing room for your toes to spread out.
Other notable features include a moisture-wicking sock liner, gel cushioning, and multidirectional grip outsole that improves traction on a variety of surfaces.
As a result, you can rest assured that the Gel-Sonoma 6 will keep you safe and comfortable as you run up steep mountainsides and down slick hillsides.
Best for distance runners
Designed to make long-distance running easier, the MetaRide is structured to reduce movement in the ankle joint, where most of your running energy is expended.
In addition to being stable and supportive, the shoe features maximum cushioning for added comfort.
What’s more, the Gel sole helps reduce strain on your knees and joints, making it particularly beneficial for long runs.
Best for stability and support
Overpronation occurs when your foot lands on the outside of your heel, causing your ankle to roll excessively inward.
To prevent potential injuries, it’s important to choose a running shoe that’s designed to provide extra stability and support, such as the Asics GT-2000 9.
With a supportive ankle collar, cushioned insole, and Guidance Line midsole — which is designed to enhance the efficiency of your gait — the GT-2000 9 is ideal for those with ankle instability.
Asics also offers a lightweight version — the GT-2000 9 Lite-Show — which offers the same stability but is geared more toward runners looking to shave a few minutes or seconds off their race time.
There are several things to keep in mind when selecting the right Asics running shoe for you, including:
- Comfort. While Asics running shoes are designed to be comfortable, some offer more padding than others. Distance runners may also want to look for shoes designed with breathable mesh uppers or special sock liners to reduce moisture from sweat.
- Stability. Especially if you overpronate, you’ll want to consider a running shoe that’s designed for added stability, including a thick ankle collar and extra medial support.
- Cushioning. Asics offers shoes with a variety of cushioning levels. How much cushioning you need depends on the type of running you’ll be doing, the surface you’ll be running on, and your personal preference.
- Fit. While it’s important to do your research, the best way to evaluate a shoe is by trying it on. However, if this isn’t an option, make sure to consider the return policy before purchasing.
Whether you’re a serious runner or just finding your stride, having the right running shoe is essential for performance and injury prevention.
Asics is a reliable shoe brand that offers a variety of fits and styles.
By considering the type of running you do and using the list above, we’re confident you’ll find the perfect Asics running shoe for you.