We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Tired of traveling to a doctor’s office to get basic prescriptions? Hers telehealth services may be a good option for getting those prescriptions filled from the comfort of your own home.
Hers, a telehealth company that provides prescriptions for some medical conditions and sells over-the-counter (OTC) medications and personal care products geared toward women, has become particularly popular over the last year.
The brand is the counterpart to the popular men’s health site, Hims, which provides telehealth services targeted to men.
Hers offers convenient access to prescription medications like birth control. The company’s vision is to empower customers to take authority over their sexual, mental, and physical health while limiting the wait time and inconvenience of in-person appointments.
The Hers Medical Advisory Board, made up of mostly female doctors, guides the medical advice and product recommendations.
Here’s more intel to see if Hers is right for you.
- Limited wait time: A medical professional will contact you within 24 hours.
- Free shipping: Prescription products ship for free.
- Subscription services: Since your subscription will automatically renew, you don’t need to worry about running out of your product or prescription.
- Free mindfulness and self-care resources: Anyone can access tips and materials that teach you how to take better care of your body and mind.
- No virtual, phone call, or in-person visits available: You can’t schedule appointments through Hers. All communication is done via messaging on the online platform.
- Limited ability to assess medical conditions: Hers isn’t appropriate for all medical concerns.
- Doesn’t accept insurance: You’ll have to pay out of pocket for all services and products provided.
- Limited prescriptions available: Hers doesn’t treat all medical conditions.
- Little information on the website for pricing of subscriptions, services, and follow-ups: You may not know how much you’ll have to pay until it’s time to check out.
- Lack of accessibility: To use Hers products and services, regular access to the internet or a computer is needed.
Hers is a company that provides telehealth services and supplements geared to women.
They offer virtual visits with licensed medical professionals to address many health conditions and symptoms, including:
- colds and flus
- certain skin conditions
They also offer many OTC supplements to support:
- hair and skin health
- sexual health
- mental health
Most products can be ordered individually or purchased with a recurring subscription.
Additionally, there are many prescription medications available on their website. These medications require an online consultation with a doctor to purchase.
Hers offers health and personal care products geared to women. Though some products — including Hers supplements, skin care products, anxiety medications, and medications for genital herpes and cold sores — can be used by anyone over age 18.
These products are also available on their companion website, Hims, which provides telehealth services targeted to men.
For example, Hers Acne Cream for Teens is also available on the Hims website, which is a prescription medication formulated to support skin health for teens.
Here’s how to get started with Hers.
Download the app
- Price: free to download
- iPhone rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars from around 100 reviews
- Android rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars from around 100 reviews
The Hers app is free to download both on iPhone and Android devices. The app provides an easy way to sign up and access Hers services.
The app can be used to set up your initial profile and get access to health resources and information throughout your subscription.
Create your profile
The first step is to set up your profile.
Hers uses an encrypted data platform to ensure any information provided is kept private. You’ll enter basic information about yourself and answer questions about:
- medical history
- current symptoms
You’ll also need to provide the platform with a government-issued ID and credit card.
Complete a medical questionnaire
After getting set up, you’ll complete a few questions about your specific medical concern and symptoms.
Within 24 hours, a licensed medical professional will reach out to evaluate your needs. They’ll talk with you via the online platform to give you a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan.
Get your treatment plan
Once your licensed medical professional has discussed your symptoms and determined a diagnosis, they’ll help you decide on a treatment plan.
If a prescription is needed, it’s discreetly and conveniently mailed to your home. Many of the treatments are sold via a monthly subscription.
Hers offers services and products for overall:
- sexual health
- skin care
- hair care
Health and wellness services
Hers has virtual services available for:
- Primary care: A licensed medical professional will assess your symptoms and recommend an appropriate treatment plan. Hers offers evaluation treatment for many health conditions and related symptoms, including:
- cold and flu
- tension headaches
- skin-related issues
- stomach-related issues
- Mental health: You can get evaluated by a qualified psychiatrist, discuss your mental health concerns, and determine a treatment plan. Medications can be prescribed and delivered to your door. Anonymous group support sessions are offered, so you can find support and learn strategies to cope with any challenges. Hers also offers ongoing therapy with licensed counselors.
A note on price
Note that the product prices listed below are based on a one-time purchase, unless otherwise noted. Pricing differs if you sign up for a subscription or change the frequency in which you want the products to be delivered.
Maintaining healthy hair and preventing hair loss can be common concerns. Hers offers a wide range of hair and scalp care products:
- Shampoo ($38 for 2-pack): This formula can cleanse your scalp of buildup and oils that cause hair loss.
- Conditioner ($47 for 2-pack): This formula can moisture, detangle, and prevent excess shedding.
- Detox Scalp Scrub ($44): The scrub exfoliates and clears buildup from your scalp.
- Rapid Repair Hair Mask ($44): This treatment hydrates your hair for smoother, shinier strands.
- Minoxidil 5% Foam for Women ($54 for 4-month supply):
Researchsuggests that minoxidil can promote hair regrowth.
- Minoxidil 2% Topical Solution ($45 for 3-month supply): This product stimulates hair regrowth for fuller, thicker hair.
- Topical Finasteride & Minoxidil Spray (around $24 per month): This spray is available by prescription only.
Researchsuggests that finasteride and minoxidil can slow hair loss while improving hair growth. Note that finasteride does have teratogenic properties, so it’s unsafe during pregnancy.
- Oral Spironolactone (around $24 per month): This prescription medication is often used to treat hair loss (and
acne) by slowing the production of certain hormones.
- Eyelash Serum ($115 for 1-month supply): Only available by prescription, the Latisse serum may help your eyelashes grow longer and thicker.
The Hers skin care line targets two of the most common skin care concerns: acne and aging. The products are only available after signing up for the service.
Skin care options from Hers include:
- Deep Sea Cleanser ($15): This hydrating cleanser helps clear acne-prone skin with a blend of red seaweed extract and rosehip seed.
- Tidal Wave Moisturizer ($24): This ultra-hydrating, nonclogging moisturizer can help acne-prone skin.
- Acne Cream (pricing varies): This prescription-strength, customized moisturizer is available for both teens and adults. The ingredient mix and strength are designed for your specific needs. The formula includes tretinoin, niacinamide, clindamycin phosphate, zinc pyrithione, and azelaic acid.
- Acne Cream for Teens (pricing varies): Specifically designed for teenagers, this customized cream uses the same ingredients as the traditional acne cream to manage acne breakouts and clear clogged pores.
- Anti-Aging Cream: This cream is made with prescription-strength tretinoin (a vitamin A derivative) to help
improveskin texture and the appearance of fine lines.
Hers offers a straightforward approach to basic sexual health needs by providing products like birth control and treatments for yeast infections.
- Birth control pills ($12 per month): Birth control can be frustrating and expensive, but Hers aims to be a simple and affordable option sent right to your door. Choose from a selection of birth control pills like:
- progestin only
- extended cycle birth control options
- Note: Before ordering, you’ll need to have an online consultation with a doctor who will determine if a prescription is appropriate and what type you should use based on your medical history.
- Yeast infection treatment ($19): Yeast infection treatment from Hers comes with three applicators filled with miconazole. If you’ve never had a yeast infection, it’s best to visit a doctor in person for a diagnosis. If you’ve had one before, the yeast infection can be treated with OTC medications, like the one offered by Hers (no need for a telehealth appointment first). Visit a doctor if the yeast infection doesn’t heal with OTC treatment or if it returns within 3 months.
- Genital herpes management: This treatment is available by prescription after an online consultation with a physician. Hers prescribes valacyclovir to help manage and prevent herpes breakouts.
- Cold sores treatment: Hers prescribes valacyclovir to provide fast relief from cold sores. This is available only after consulting with a doctor on the platform.
Hers also offers general sexual health products like:
Hers offers supplements to support your health from the inside, including:
- Biotin Gummy Multivitamin ($32 for 2-pack): Biotin gummies can strengthen your hair, nails, and skin.
- Collagen Powder ($27): This powder is designed to support skin, muscle, and joint health.
- Mind Unwind ($25): Formulated with a blend of calming ingredients like L-theanine, chamomile, and ashwagandha, this product is intended to promote relaxation.
- Double Doze ($25): These capsules contain extended-release melatonin to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Focus Finder ($25): This product contains a concentrated dose of caffeine in each capsule to boost energy levels.
Hers offers a solution for people wanting convenient medical care. If you want to avoid going to a busy office and taking time off work, Hers may be a good option for you.
If Hers can prescribe the medication that meets your healthcare needs, having the product delivered right to your door each month is a time-saver.
That being said, not all medical questions and concerns can be answered through the virtual platform. There’s a chance Hers won’t be able to address your concerns or have a product that’s a good fit for your needs.
Hers doesn’t accept medical insurance. This means the products made by Hers and all the services are out-of-pocket costs.
If you choose for the Hers doctor to send the prescription to a local pharmacy, your insurance may cover the prescription.
The website lists the initial assessment as free and currently lists follow-up medical visits as $5. The products offered by Hers range in price from around $10 to more than $100. You won’t be charged for shipping, and the cost of a monthly subscription varies based on which products or package you choose.
Hims & Hers are licensed in all 50 states to provide online healthcare services. Hims & Hers, Inc., has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, at time of publication, the BBB customer reviews amount to 1.09 stars out of 5 based on more than 75 customer reviews.
Some recent Hims and Hers reviews share issues with receiving communication and responses from the company and trouble getting their questions about their prescriptions answered by healthcare professionals.
Since medical services are confidential, customer reviews aren’t available for all of Hers products and services.
The hair care, supplements, and nonprescription sexual health products are rated between 4 and 5 stars (out of 5) on the Hers website.
There are several services available that are similar to Hers, each of which varies in terms of price and the types of products offered.
|Hers||• skin care|
• hair care
• sexual health
• mental health
|$10–$115 per product||all 50 states|
|Nurxi||• skin care|
• sexual health
• migraine treatment
• testing kits
|$20 for consultation,|
$0–$220 per product
|Pill Clubi||birth control||$20 for consultation,|
starts at $0–$7 per pack
|Apostrophe||skin care||$20 for consultation,|
$25–$110 per product
|Rory||• skin care|
• hair care
• sexual health
• weight management
• smoking cessation
$19–$110 per product
i Covered by insurance
Though telehealth services like Hers can be a convenient and time-saving alternative to in-person appointments, there are several instances where a visit to the doctor may be necessary.
For instance, while telehealth can be useful for refilling or prescribing medications for conditions that have already been diagnosed, you may need to see a doctor in some cases, especially if a physical exam, blood test, or imaging test is required to make a diagnosis.
It may also be necessary to see a doctor for complex medical conditions that require more intensive treatment.
Additionally, if you find that your symptoms don’t improve or worsen after using medications or supplements from Hers, talk with a doctor to determine whether other treatment options may be necessary or beneficial.
Is Hers approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?
Hers provides FDA-approved medications, according to the company’s website.
Do you need insurance for Hers?
No, you do not need insurance for Hers. At this time Hers does not accept:
- health insurance
- health savings account funds
- health reimbursement account or flexible spending account funds
How do I meet with the medical professional?
The consultation with a licensed medical professional takes place via chat on the Hers platform. There are no video or phone call options.
How long does it take for the prescription to deliver?
The Hers website claims your order will arrive within 5 to 7 business days.
What if I have questions after my consultation?
The medical professionals on the Hers platform remain available after your first consultation to answer follow-up questions and help you with changes.
Hers provides easy virtual access to licensed medical professionals to help you manage basic health needs. The services offered include:
- primary care
- mental health care
- hair care
- skin care
- sexual health
For basic needs, Hers may be a convenient option to get prescriptions sent right to your door. Their services are limited, as you never meet face to face (virtually or in person) with the medical professional.
It’s important to see a doctor or another medical professional for regular in-person visits for more in-depth health and physical assessments.
Ashley Braun, MPH, RD, is a health and wellness writer based in Michigan. Her work helps people understand what affects their health, so they can make informed choices to take back the control in their health and wellness journey.