WellBe is a voice-enabled virtual health assistant that’s made by HandsFree Health, a healthcare company.
After witnessing the challenges that many older adults face, the company wanted to find a way to reduce stress, provide more independence, and keep healthcare needs more organized. The answer was WellBe: the Amazon Alexa of the healthcare world.
WellBe can provide reminders for appointments, medications, and glucose tracking with color-coded lights. It can also send reminders and tracking for multiple people. It can send notifications to caregivers if medications or doctors’ appointments are missed and if blood pressure is abnormal.
People can also use it in a business setting to answer questions about policies, benefits, and insurance. It can be customized to your specific needs.
There are different systems available that can work for patients, caregivers, and businesses, but in this WellBe Medical Alert Plus review, we look at one specific bundle.
Read on to discover who it’s for and its features, pros and cons, and more.
WellBe Smart Speaker
The smart speaker can be connected to Wi-Fi and set up anywhere in your home.
- ask it medical and insurance questions
- set appointment and medication reminders
- track your blood sugar, body weight, and blood pressure
- use it to send pertinent alerts to caregivers
It can also play music and audiobooks and give weather updates.
WellBe Medical Alert Watch
The Medical Alert Watch is an emergency device that provides 24/7 monitoring. You can use it to track your heart rate and count your steps, but it also functions as a two-way communication device if needed.
You can speak directly to emergency services and it will automatically send them your GPS location.
If you were to purchase the speaker and watch separately, you’d spend about $309 on the pair. However, when you purchase the bundle, you can get them both for $160.
An ongoing subscription fee of about $55 per month is required to make them fully functional.
- provides 24/7 access to emergency services
- can alert caregivers of missed appointments and medications
- easy to set up and use
- huge savings buying the bundle
- requires an ongoing subscription
- not covered by insurance
The Healthline Reviews team always leads with integrity. We only highlight and link to products, services, and brands that we stand behind and that can provide a value or service to our readers.
When researching the WellBe Medical Alert Plus, we looked into the following factors:
- customer reviews
We made sure it had good reviews and there were no consistent complaints from consumers. We also made sure it was accessible and easy to use, purchase, and install.
Once it passed initial approval, the WellBe Medical Alert Plus was also vetted by our Brand and Content Integrity team, who ensured it met our medical standards and overall approach to well-being.
The features of the WellBe Medical Alert Plus depend on the specific device. Here’s a detailed breakdown:
WellBe Smart Speaker
- Live answers to medical and insurance questions: You can ask the speaker any questions and it will use its medical database to answer.
- Medication and appointment reminders: Add appointments or medication timing to your calendar and the speaker will send reminders.
- Prescription refill reminders: Add prescription refill dates to your calendar and the speaker will send reminders.
- Blood pressure, blood sugar, and weight tracking: You can add readings and the system will track changes and alert you about any abnormalities.
- Caregiver or family notifications (missed appointments or medications): If you miss an appointment or medication, the system will alert the caregiver or family member whom you added to the device.
- Hands-free calling: You can use the speaker to call people.
- Audiobook and music playback: It will play books and music with a connected service.
- News, weather, and stock market updates: You can ask for alerts and updates for local news and weather as needed.
- Color-coded lights to identify up to six family members: The system will track the medical needs of up to six family members and color-code notifications to make them easier to identify.
WellBe Medical Alert Watch
- 4G connectivity: It uses cellular data so it doesn’t have to rely on a Wi-Fi connection.
- Heart rate monitor: It monitors your heart rate and alerts you about any abnormalities.
- Pedometer: You can track your steps when you’re wearing it.
- GPS location services: Emergency services can use GPS to track your exact location if you need help and don’t know where you are.
- 24/7 two-way communication with emergency services: You can use the watch like a walkie-talkie to connect with emergency dispatch.
- Digital or analog watch faces: When you’re not using it for medical needs, it functions like a regular wristwatch.
In addition to the smart speaker and the watch, HandsFree Health also has an alert pendant that has the same features as the watch but doesn’t have to be worn on your wrist.
The WellBe Medical Alert Plus is a versatile system that may appeal to a wide variety of people. It’s targeted toward senior consumers, but anyone who needs an organized way to keep track of medication refills or doctors’ appointments can use it.
It’s also a good system for anyone who is more prone to falls or has a medical condition that may require an emergency response.
Caregivers and family members who want to keep track of a loved one’s medical status may also use it. Medical facilities can also use the business version of the system to streamline information and answer patients’ most commonly asked questions.
|Pricing||Features||Privacy||Ease of use|
|WellBe Medical Alert Plus||$160 for both devices and an additional $55 per month for subscriptions||• two-way calling|
• GPS locator
• medication and appointment reminders
• caregiver notifications
• audiobook, music, and news playback
• answers medical and insurance questions
|• HIPAA compliant|
• no information is stored
• doesn’t record and monitor
|• user-friendly |
• voice activated
• connects to Wi-Fi
• no complicated setup process
|Medical Guardian||no device cost, but there’s a monthly subscription fee of $32–$40||• caregiver notifications/chats|
• 24/7 monitoring system
• integrated alert necklace
• fall detection
• step counting
• weather app
|• no mention of HIPAA compliance|
• collects user data
• single-push buttons
|GetSafe||$79–$279 device cost, plus $28 per month for subscription||• 4G base unit|
• 24/7 monitoring
• voice-activated wall button
• lanyard button
|• company doesn’t provide privacy information||• user-friendly|
• minimal, clearly marked buttons
To get started with WellBe Medical Alert Plus, simply visit the website and place an order for the products you want.
Once you receive your WellBe devices, you return to the website and click the “Begin Activation” button at the top of the page to start your subscription.
From there, you’ll be prompted to choose the device(s) you want to activate. If you purchased the WellBe Medical Alert Plus, you’ll click “Medical Alert Speaker/Watch Subscription.”
Once you purchase the subscription, you’ll receive a set of instructions to set up your account and connect your devices. Follow these instructions step by step and you’ll be ready to go.
What is the best medic alert for seniors?
There’s no single best answer to this question. The best medic alert system depends on your needs.
If you want a smart speaker that can play music and audiobooks and send you and your caregivers notifications, the WellBe Medical Alert Plus can be a good system for you.
If you want a more simplified system — perhaps you just need a single button you can push in case of an emergency — you may want to get a system like Medical Guardian.
Will Medicare pay for an alert?
Medicare Part A and Part B typically don’t pay for medical alert systems. However, if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, you may be able to get some or part of your costs covered.
Does AARP supplement cover medical alert systems?
AARP does not cover medical alert systems, but if you’re a member, you can get a 15% discount on the monthly cost of one specific system: the Lifeline medical alert system.
The WellBe Medical Alert Plus is a user-friendly medical alert system that’s helpful for patients, caregivers, families, and businesses.
This particular set includes a smart speaker and a medical watch that sends notifications to you and your chosen recipients and offers 24/7 two-way calling in case of an emergency.
You can also use it in place of other smart speakers to play music and audiobooks or stay on top of the news and the weather.
Lindsay Boyers is a functional nutritionist, licensed esthetician, and health and commerce writer. She’s also written more than a dozen books and cookbooks and created over 1,000 original recipes. Her work has appeared on Forbes, CNET, CNN Underscored, mindbodygreen, The Spruce Eats and The Spruce, among others.