We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
If you’re looking to lose weight, playing “Just Dance” may be an option.
The video game involves competitive dance routines that you can play by yourself or with other people. This can help you burn calories while dancing to a variety of popular songs.
After all, dancing is a form of cardio exercise. It’s also an excellent workout option, especially if you dislike the gym or want an exercise routine that offers variety and an element of fun and competitiveness.
Each dance routine is a workout, even though it might not feel like it.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what the “Just Dance” video game is all about, how to use it for weight loss, and the other health benefits it may provide.
“Just Dance” is a video game created by Ubisoft. It’s a dance-based game that challenges players to mimic dancers on the screen.
The game has a library of songs to choose from. Each song has its own unique dance routine. The songs are categorized by difficulty, depending on the movements and physical effort.
“Just Dance” has released a new version of the video game almost every year since 2009. In general, each edition features 40 songs by popular artists.
There are also special editions, such as:
- “Just Dance Kids”
- “Just Dance Disney”
- “Just Dance: Summer Party”
To play “Just Dance,” you’ll need a gaming system like Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, or Xbox.
Depending on your system, you’ll also need a motion sensor or camera. This allows the game to track and rate your moves.
If you buy “Just Dance,” you can also sign up for “Just Dance Unlimited,” an online subscription service that offers access to additional songs. It also lets you use a smartphone to track moves.
You can purchase “Just Dance” at:
- video game stores
- electronic stores
- the electronic section of general merchandise stores (like Target or Walmart)
- online retailers
When buying “Just Dance,” make sure it’s compatible with your gaming system.
According to anecdotal evidence, regularly playing “Just Dance” may help you lose weight, especially if you’re making dietary changes too.
Dancing promotes weight loss by burning calories through physical activity. And, rocking, bopping, and boogying to your favorite tunes with “Just Dance” can help you burn those calories.
The number of calories you burn will depend on your weight, activity intensity, and the duration of your dance session. According to Harvard Health Publishing, in general, 30 minutes of fast dancing, like the type you do with “Just Dance,” may burn:
- 180 calories for a 125-pound person
- 223 calories for a 155-pound person
- 266 calories for a 185-pound person
However, healthy weight loss also requires dietary changes. To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. This creates a calorie deficit, which helps you lose weight.
You can create a calorie deficit by cutting back on the calories you take in while increasing the calories you burn by doing more physical activity regularly.
To reap health benefits, the
- a total of 150 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity each week OR
- a total of 75 minutes or more of vigorous-intensity physical activity each week OR
- an equivalent combination of both
However, if you’re looking to lose weight, you may need to exercise for more than the recommended weekly amount. You can do this by playing “Just Dance” for:
- longer than 30 minutes at a time, 5 or more times a week
- a total of 2 or 3 times a day, for at least 20 minutes each time, 5 or more days a week
You can also burn more calories by playing “Just Dance” at a more vigorous pace.
The length of time it takes to see results depends on several factors. Remember, you must consume fewer calories and burn more calories to create a calorie deficit.
As a general rule of thumb, a calorie deficit of around 500 calories a day is helpful for weight loss.
This equals 3,500 fewer calories a week, which may help you lose around 1 pound (0.45 kilograms) of body weight per week. This is considered healthy and sustainable weight loss.
Besides being a form of potential weight loss, dancing is also cardio activity with many other health benefits . Playing “Just Dance,” or doing other cardio exercises regularly may lead to:
- improved cardiovascular health
- increased endurance
- stronger lungs
- stronger bones and muscles
- improved blood flow
- better balance and coordination
- lower stress
- improved brain function
- better mood
- increased energy levels
- enhanced spatial awareness
- enhanced self-confidence
- improved physical reaction time
When playing “Just Dance” or dancing in general, it’s important to stay safe. Follow these tips to avoid getting injured:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely.
- Wear comfortable nonslip shoes that fit properly.
- Remove safety hazards like furniture, loose rugs, and cords from the dance area.
- Drink water before, during, and after each session to stay hydrated.
- Do warmup stretches before dancing. This will prepare your muscles for activity.
- Do cooldown stretches after dancing.
- Start with easy, simple moves if you’re a beginner.
- When trying a new routine, sit and watch it first.
- Take a break if you feel tired or light-headed.
- Avoid intense dance routines if you experience balance or mobility concerns. Start slow.
- If you haven’t worked out in a long time or have an injury, talk with your doctor first. They can provide specific safety tips for your experience.
Playing “Just Dance” is a fun and engaging way to stay active and lose weight. The key is to play the game at an intensity, frequency, and duration that will help you create a calorie deficit.
To lose weight, you also need to take in fewer calories than you burn each day. A calorie deficit of around 500 calories a day is helpful for weight loss.
Try to stay active even if you hit your goal weight. Regular exercise is an important aspect of healthy living and can boost your physical and emotional health and well-being in many ways.