We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Shopping online for prescription eyewear has become commonplace. You might shop online for prescription eyewear because it is convenient, or maybe you like to find lower-than-traditional costs.
Online eyewear retailers have a lot to offer.
WebEyeCare is one of several e-commerce sites that sell eyewear. In this article, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of shopping here, plus highlight their products and ordering process.
- All eyewear is shipped free on orders over $89.
- Contact lens orders are shipped same day, if your prescription is valid and on file and the order is received by 1 p.m. EST.
- WebEyeCare offers a best price guarantee on contact lenses and eye glasses. If you see your lenses for a lower price within 7 days of placing your order, they’ll beat it.
- WebEyeCare uses third-party suppliers for some eyeglass fulfillment. For that reason, your order may not arrive for 30 days.
- Refunds are only available on unopened merchandise.
- WebEyeCare offers vision tests for contact lenses and eyeglasses onsite. Unlike some other retailers, the tests cost $34.99 and $39.99, respectively. You’ll need both your computer and smartphone to take either test.
- They offer a very limited selection of children’s frames.
- They don’t offer blue-light-blocking on every pair of eyeglasses — only on single prescriptions, not bifocals or multifocals.
- There’s no try-on feature available.
WebEyeCare is a Pennsylvania-based online retailer of prescription eyewear and sunglasses. The company was founded in 2009.
WebEyeCare sells prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, plus contact lenses. If you wear contacts, you can save money by subscribing for automatic reorders.
WebEyeCare offers moderate discounts on designer and name-brand frames. To reduce costs further, they often offer onsite coupons for new and existing customers.
There’s also a WebEyeCare rewards program for earned points that can be redeemed at checkout for additional discounts.
WebEyeCare sells prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, plus contact lenses for men, women, and children. Some of their frames are specified as unisex or gender neutral.
You can order no prescription, single prescriptions, and no-line bifocals from WebEyeCare.
Based on your prescription, you can choose plastic or polycarbonate lenses with treatments such as anti-glare coating and polarized ultraviolet (UV) filter. According to WebEyeCare’s call center, blue-light-blocking is available on lenses for select frames.
There’s a large selection of designer and name-brand frames to choose from, including:
- Jimmy Choo
- Columbia Eyewear
- Emporio Armani
Sunglasses can be purchased with or without a prescription.
Daily, monthly, and biweekly lenses are sold by the box or by subscription. You can choose from many of the leading brands, including:
WebEyeCare is an out-of-network provider and doesn’t accept insurance. If you have health insurance that covers eyewear prescriptions, you would submit your invoice to your insurance company for reimbursement after purchase.
Women’s eyeglass and sunglass frames start at $49 and go up to about $600. Men’s frames are available from $49 to around $400. Your prescription type will determine the overall cost of your eyewear.
Currently, there’s only one brand of children’s eyewear on the site. Five designs from this brand are available. Each frame is priced at $129.99.
After picking the frames you want, you add your prescription and choose between four lens options for that particular frame. The options are sold as packages that include lens treatments and construction materials, and are in addition to the cost of the frames:
- Basic: $39
- Silver: $79
- Gold: $109
- Platinum: $179
Features like polarized sunglass tinting are sold separately, for an additional cost.
Contact lenses cost around 10 percent less than they do at regular retailers. These prices vary and may be lower if you purchase your contacts by subscription.
You can shop on their website with a current prescription, or you can take WebEyeCare’s online prescription test for eyeglasses or contact lenses.
You have the option to shop by designer or brand name. You can also sort by featured best sellers and new arrivals. If you know the shape or color of the frame you want, you can select for those features, too.
According to the website, each prescription is checked by an optometrist.
WebEyeCare doesn’t have an app or retail stores where you can shop.
To order, you’ll need a current prescription and pupillary distance (PD) measurement. You can manually write in your prescription or upload it. Your doctor’s name and telephone number will also be required.
After adding the frames you want to your cart, you’ll be prompted to choose your lens option.
If you buy contact lenses, you’ll be given the option to purchase a single box or a subscription at checkout. Subscriptions are available for 1, 3, or 6 months.
At checkout, the number of reward points you have earned with your order will be displayed. If you join WebEyeCare’s reward program, you’ll be able to redeem your points toward future purchases.
You can then choose your shipping option.
Prescriptions for new customers go through a verification process, which can take up to 2 business days.
If your prescription for contact lenses is on file and verified, your lenses may ship same day, provided your item is in stock.
Contact lenses are shipped:
- 5 to 10 business days: free on orders over $89, otherwise $7.95
- 3 to 7 business days ground: $9.95
- Second business day air: price varies by location
- Next business day air: price varies by location
Eyeglass prescriptions are made within 10 business days. Shipping times vary, and may take as long as 30 days to arrive at your destination.
Shipping on eyeglasses is free, unless you request expedited shipping. If so, those prices are weight based and vary.
New, unopened eyewear and contacts can be returned for a full refund or store credit within 30 days of purchase. Items returned after 30 days are only eligible for store credit.
Return shipping costs are your responsibility, unless the return is due to a WebEyeCare error, such as incorrect or defective merchandise. Online reviews mention that refunds take around a month to receive.
To make a return, you can schedule a call with the service team online, or you can do the following:
- Call directly at 888-536-7480.
- Text 215-273-9455.
As of this writing, the chat feature on the website is live. You can chat with a representative from Monday to Friday between 9 am and 5 pm eastern standard time (EST).
Our writer chatted with several customer service agents and found them to be kind, attentive, and responsive.
WebEyeCare generally receives good to great ratings from customers online. People often mention the easy ordering process, speedy delivery, and attentive customer service.
WebEyeCare has an A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in addition to a 4.49 out of 5 stars rating based on 214 customer reviews.
On Trustpilot, WebEyeCare has a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. While most of the reviews skew positive, there are some recent mixed reviews.
Several customers say that they would order WebEyeCare again, but another customer says that they received some defective contacts in their order.
You can choose from several other online eyewear retailers similar to WebEyeCare. Here are a few competing brands and what they offer.
- Warby Parker designs and constructs eyeglasses in-house. It also offers an at-home try-on option and a virtual try-on option, as well as free shipping.
- GlassesUSA offers over 7,000 frames that include affordable and pricey options. You can get lens coatings like ultraviolet and anti-glare light filtering. They also offer free shipping.
- EyeBuyDirect has frames as low as $6, and a virtual try-on option. Their buy-one-give-one promotion donates a pair of glasses to someone in need when you buy a pair.
- Zenni Optical gives out a printable pupillary distance (PD) ruler. In addition to the virtual try-on option, Zenni eyeglasses come with a free anti-scratch coating and UV protection.
- ContactsDirect offers plenty of opportunities to save. First responders, government employees, hospital workers, students, medical providers, military, nurses, and teachers get 20% off. It also price matches.
Can you return unused boxes of lenses if you get a new prescription?
WebEyeCare will allow you to exchange or receive store credit for unopened and undamaged boxes of contact lenses purchased within the last year.
Simply contact customer service for a return merchandise authorization.
What is a pupillary distance (PD) measurement?
A pupillary distance (PD) measurement is the distance in millimeters (mm) from one pupil to the other.
It helps the optometrist find the best glasses that will align with the center of your eyes and have a functional fit.
Can you buy different contact lenses than the ones on your prescription?
Since contact lens prescriptions are brand-specific and contact lenses can come in different sizes, you can only order the ones on your prescription.
Contact your doctor to inquire about adding a different brand to your current prescription.
If you want to get contacts as soon as possible from an established online retailer, WebEyeCare may provide the solution.
WebEyeCare has been in business since 2013. It boasts very good customer ratings on Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot.
Customer reviews mention fast delivery and engaged customer service as standout qualities of the online shopping experience.
WebEyeCare also sells brand-name eyeglasses like Oakley and Versace, and sunglasses like Columbia Eyewear and Ray-Ban.