We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Editor’s choice: DHP Astoria Metal and Upholstered Daybed/Sofa Bed with Included Trundle
- Best for adults: Grady Solid Wood Daybed with Trundle
- Best budget option: DHP Twin Metal Daybed Trundle
- Best luxury: Oeuf Sparrow Twin Bed Bundle
- Most durable: Max & Lily Kid’s Twin Size Bed with Trundle
- Best storage: Storkcraft Marco Island Captain’s Bed with Trundle and Drawers
- Best for kids and teens: Hillsdale Caspian Daybed with Trundle
- Best for small rooms: Harriet Bee Cheryll Twin Over Twin Standard Bunk Bed with Trundle
- Best pop-up trundle: Novogratz Bright Pop Metal Bed
It’s not an understatement to say that sleep is incredibly important — for adults and kids alike.
And if you’re in the market to save space in your home while providing a good night’s sleep, you may want to purchase a trundle bed.
Keep reading to learn the benefits of trundle beds and check out our list of the top nine available.
A trundle bed is a small, low bed that sits on wheels, so it can be stored under a traditional bed and rolled out when needed.
Trundle beds are often used for kids or visitors. With a trundle bed, you can have more floor space during the day and sleep an extra person at night, essentially creating a guest room in a box.
Trundles also work well as a transitional option for toddlers moving into a big kid bed. Some trundle beds, called pop-up trundles, can be lifted to the same height as the big bed.
We paid attention to the following when selecting our list of the best trundle beds:
- Customer reviews: Customers know best, so we relied heavily on reviews from real-life trundle bed users.
- Durability: For a small bed where kids sleep, we prioritized durability and safety.
- Extra features: We selected some beds that include additional features, such as more storage.
- $ = under $200
- $$ = $200–$500
- $$$ = over $500
Editor’s choice trundle bed
- Price: $
- Key features: modern design, easy assembly, secured metal slats for mattress breathability
The DHP Astoria Daybed with Trundle is a sleek, modern choice that will fit right in with the decor of your home. A daybed is a great option to provide extra seating during the day. This twin-sized bed is made of metal and has faux leather upholstery.
You’ll have to buy the two twin mattresses separately, but once you do, the bed is easy and fast to assemble. Customers also have the option to add on expert assembly for an additional $167.
Products can be returned online or in store. Reviews state the trundle bed is extremely comfortable and can accommodate both kids and adults.
Best trundle bed for adults
- Price: $$
- Key features: made of solid pinewood, weight capacity up to 250 pounds
The Grady Solid Wood Daybed with Trundle comes at a higher price point. But according to past buyers, the quality is worth it.
This bed is made from pinewood and has a mid-century modern design. The daybed and trundle have a slat-roll mattress foundation plus a center support system for extra strength.
This daybed and trundle comes highly recommended for adults because of its size and comfort. The trundle is a twin mattress with a weight capacity of 250 pounds, while the daybed can hold up to 360 pounds. The mattress is not included with the bed.
Shipping times and return policies depend on where you purchase the trundle.
Best budget trundle bed
- Price: $
- Key features: easy assembly, multiple colors available
On a budget? You won’t find a much better deal than this affordable trundle bed. You’ll have to purchase a daybed separately, but if you already have a bed at home, this twin-size trundle, with its contemporary metal frame, will roll right under.
This trundle has a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds.
Reviews state the trundle rolls easily and is easy to assemble. While users found that the locks on the wheels weren’t the best, the trundle itself is sturdy, comfortable, and a good value for the price.
*This item is unavailable on Amazon as of 7/29/22.
Best luxury trundle bed
- Price: $$$
- Key features: sustainably manufactured, contemporary design, made of durable birch plywood
If you’re looking for something a little more high end, the Oeuf Sparrow trundle bed could be the right fit for you. Made from birch plywood with a max weight capacity of 225 pounds, the trundle works well for many kids and adults.
This selection also gets points for sustainability: The bed has Greenguard Gold certification, meaning it meets rigorous third-party chemical emissions standards and helps reduce indoor air pollution and the risk of chemical exposure. All parts of the bed are sustainably manufactured.
Plus, the bed’s contemporary design will dress up whatever room you put it in. Just note that, if you opt for this bed, the furniture is not returnable to the retailer.
Most durable trundle bed
- Price: $$
- Key features: durable pine wood construction, comes with slat platform
This twin trundle sold by bed brand Max & Lily is made of solid, knot-free pine wood. Pinewood is a durable and strong choice for furniture, creating a sturdy trundle that can hold up to 400 pounds. The metal-on-metal structural connections add extra durability.
The trundle is designed to fit Max & Lily beds and bunks. It can fit a standard twin mattress (not included) that’s up to 8 inches high and comes with a slatted platform.
Best storage trundle bed
- Price: $$$
- Key features: three storage drawers, nautical design, easy assembly
Storkcraft’s Marco Island Bed is a versatile option for anyone in need of extra storage space. This bed has a rolling twin-size trundle bed with three fully functioning storage drawers. It doesn’t sacrifice storage space for style — the nautical design adds a Cape Cod touch to any room.
The bed is available in either twin or full size. It’s made of pinewood and comes in multiple color options.
Reviewers report that the bed is durable, easy to assemble, and great for storing clothes or toys.
Best trundle bed for kids and teens
- Price: $$$
- Key features: maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds, durable, attractive design
The Hillsdale Caspian Daybed with Trundle accommodates up to 250 pounds, making this bed a great choice for most children or teenagers. The slat-style daybed and the accompanying trundle are both twin size, with mattresses bought separately.
The daybed’s sleek and neutral design will fit in with any kind of decor, whether you’re putting the bed in a toddler’s room or a teenager’s hangout. The bed is made of strong, durable wood.
Shipping, delivery, and return details vary based on where you order this bed.
Best trundle bed for small rooms
- Price: $$$
- Key features: fits three twin-size mattresses, comes with guardrails
Have a small room where multiple people need to sleep? This twin bunk bed with a trundle can hold three people in the space of one bed.
Made by Harriet Bee, the bed comes with a slat kit, trundle bed, and guardrails, helping keep your kids extra safe. A built-in ladder is also included. The bottom bed has a weight capacity of 250 pounds, and the top bed can hold up to 200 pounds.
Best pop-up trundle bed
- Price: $$
- Key features: “pops up” to the same height as the big bed, sturdy metal frame, three color options
A pop-up trundle can be lifted, so it’s on the same level as the taller bed. This essentially creates one big mattress. This Novogratz pop-up trundle is a great fit for small living spaces. It comes in three colors: white, black, and turquoise.
The twin bed is made of metal, with strong steel slats. It has a weight capacity of 450 pounds, and the trundle has casters to help it smoothly roll in and out.
Shipping and return details depend on where you purchase the bed. Reviews state that, although assembly instructions are clear and simple, some screws do not line up, so you’ll want to keep an eye out for that.
Before you start looking for a trundle bed, you need to know exactly what you’re going to use that bed for. Answering the following questions on the front end will help you efficiently find the best bed for you.
- Will the bed be used for children, teens, or adults? If you’re going to use your trundle bed for adults, you’ll probably want to purchase a model with a larger maximum weight capacity than if you’ll be using the bed for toddlers.
- Does the trundle come with a larger bed? Some trundles are sold in a package with a larger bed. Other trundles are sold alone. If you buy a trundle by itself, make sure you have a bed at home where it will fit.
- Does storage matter? Think about any extra features you’d like to have in a bed, such as extra storage space. Remember: One of the main draws of a trundle bed is the space-saving aspect. A bed with drawers will help you consolidate even more.
What should be the priorities when choosing a trundle bed?
Durability is key, especially if you’ll be using the trundle for your kids. You want a bed that can withstand a jumping toddler or a taller teen. Comfort and support are also important. You’ll also want to consider if the design matches the room where you’re planning to put it.
What’s a good price for a trundle bed?
Most trundle beds cost around $300. High end models can cost $600 or more, while you might be able to find an affordable option under $100.
You can look for a more affordable but high quality product by adjusting what you’re searching for: A wooden or plastic trundle bed, for example, will cost less than one made of metal.
What’s the best mattress size for a trundle bed?
Mattresses for trundle beds are purchased separately from the frame.
Most trundle beds work with a twin mattress. The best size for a trundle bed mattress is usually 75 x 39 inches. The mattress thickness will depend on how much space is between the trundle bed and the larger bed the trundle slides under. Between 6 and 8 inches is usually a safe bet for the mattress thickness.
Whether you’re making room for more kids or just needing a place for guests to stay, a trundle bed is a great space-saving option.
Trundle beds do require assembly. But this is often an easy process. Keep in mind that trundle bed mattresses will have to be purchased separately.
Finding the best trundle bed for your family doesn’t have to be a daunting process. Use these tips to easily decide on the best trundle for your needs.
Hailey Hudson is a full-time freelance writer and content marketer based out of Atlanta, Georgia. She focuses on the health, marketing, and education industries. Clients include Livestrong, Runner’s World, Dell, and others. Hailey is also a novelist and a musician.