We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best reading pillow overall: LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow
- Best budget reading pillow: Contour Living Flip Pillow
- Best reading pillow for back support: Vekkia Reading and Bed Rest Pillow
- Best tablet reading pillow: IPEVO PadPillow
- Best reading pillow for sharing: Peachwell Triangular Reading Pillow
- Best supportive reading pillow: Avana Comfort Kind Bed Orthopedic Support Pillow System
Getting into bed and reading your favorite book is one of the best feelings, right up there with sleeping in on weekends. But, while reading in bed is a simple pleasure, what’s not so simple is finding the most comfortable position for it.
Scrunching up pillows to prop your back, shifting to relieve numb body parts, or finding the right angle to hold your neck up can all disrupt your reading experience.
Read on to check out our picks for the best reading pillows.
In making our selections, we paid close attention to the pillows most highly rated by online reviewers.
We also made sure to select a range of pillow styles, from e-reader pillows and wedges to pillows suitable for sharing.
- $ = under $45
- $$ = $45–$75
- $$$ = over $75
Best reading pillow overall
LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow
- Price: $
- Material: cover is velour and polyester and fill is 100% polyurethane foam (shredded memory foam)
- Sizes: standard, extra-large, and extra-large with added neck support
- Dimensions: 28 x 8 x 8 inches (standard size)
Reviewers love this plush, supportive pillow. They also say, because it’s filled with memory foam, it may not immediately come fluffed up and ready for use.
It could take up to 48 hours to achieve its intended shape, but you may be able to quicken things up by plumping the pillow up yourself.
Not only is this pillow great for reading in bed, but you can also take it along with you to watch TV or play games by using its built-in handle.
The pillow comes in small and large sizes. The larger size even comes with removable neck support that the brand says is for improved comfort.
- high marks for comfort and for holding its shape
- oversized for extra comfort
- a bit heavy if moving from room to room a lot
- might be a bit big for smaller beds
Best budget reading pillow
Contour Living Flip Pillow
- Price: $
- Material: fill is hypoallergenic fiber, option to add cotton or microfiber pillow cases
- Sizes: standard and king
- Dimensions: 19 x 20 x 18 inches (standard size), king size is 10 inches wider
The Contour Living Flip Pillow is a versatile option that can be used in several ways, so you have support where you need it.
Most reviewers love this pillow’s softness, and how comfortable it feels when placed in different positions — whether they’re sleeping, reading, or watching a show.
This pillow contains fiber fill, so it’s more malleable than a traditional foam wedge.
It also comes in a king size if you want something bigger.
- useful for multiple positions, including under your knees and behind your back
- feels extremely soft
- standard size isn’t wide enough to offer stable back support for some reviewers
- fiber fill may mean the pillow loses density over time
Best reading pillow for back support
Vekkia Reading and Bed Rest Pillow
- Price: $$
- Material: cover is velvet, fill is memory foam
- Sizes: 18 inches high or 24 inches high with additional neck support
- Dimensions: 15 x 11 x 18 inches
If giving your back the right support while reading is your priority, this reading pillow just might do the trick.
It comes highly recommended by users who have undergone surgery to correct back issues.
The pillow is also customizable. It comes with an extra bag of memory foam, so you can plump it up if desired.
The Vekkia pillow comes compressed for easy transport, so you may need to wait 24 to 48 hours before it reaches its full 18-inch size.
- extra bag of foam so you can customize the support
- storage pocket for reading accessories (reading glasses in case, remote, headphones, etc.)
- “memory foam” label is misleading, according to some reviewers (origin of shredded foam filling is not disclosed)
- may have a strong scent, especially while the foam filling expands upon opening
Best tablet reading pillow
- Price: $
- Material: cover is cotton denim, inside is soft foam
- Sizes: one size
- Dimensions: 12.2 x 6.7 x 9.1 inches
This wedge pillow is a great option if you do your reading on an iPad or another tablet. Rather than laying on it, it acts as a prop for your tablet or book.
It’s very versatile and is designed for comfortable reading, no matter if you place it on your lap, stomach, or floor. The cover is removable and machine washable.
It’s covered with sturdy cotton material, and, when flipped open, it has enough space to allow for a Bluetooth keyboard. It also has a pocket at the back for easy storage of chargers, earbuds, and anything else you want to keep close by.
- storage pocket
- washable cover
- meant to prop up your tablet, not your back and neck
- might eventually cause neck pain (if you stare down at your tablet or book without neck support)
Best reading pillow for sharing
Peachwell Triangular Reading Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Material: velvet cover and polyester fill
- Sizes: queen, king, or California king (matches the width of your mattress)
- Dimensions: 77 × 8 × 20 inches (king)
If you and your partner enjoy leisurely days in bed reading or watching television, this pillow could be just what you’re looking for. Admittedly, it’s a splurge. But many reviewers have commented that they were feeling guilty about spending that much on a pillow until it arrived and they had no remorse.
It comes with two detachable neck roll pillows for extra support when you need it, and you can choose from 17 colors.
- machine-washable covers
- multiple sizes available to match mattress width
- buttons may require some reinforced stitching
- may be too big if you are a single sleeper
Best supportive reading pillow
Avana Comfort Kind Bed Orthopedic Support Pillow System
- Price: $$$
- Material: memory foam
- Sizes: one size
- Dimensions: 32.5 x 11 x 24
Your neck, back, and shoulders are key areas that need support when reading or lounging in bed.
These just so happen to be the target areas for the Avana Comfort Kind Bed Pillow System, with some leg support to boot.
The 4-piece set is made with memory foam padding. Users praise it for its full-body support. It isn’t just made for use as a reading pillow, but is also designed to help if you get acid reflux at night, find yourself snoring often, or are recovering from surgery. There’s even a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- pillow set can be configured in numerous ways
- machine-washable covers
- more features than necessary if you’re looking for just a reading pillow
- expensive compared to some other picks on the list
Still searching for the right sleep products?
Let us help. Shop our top picks for pillows by condition or sleep position to get the sound sleep you deserve.
If you spend a lot of time reading in bed, then you’re probably familiar with the endless maneuvers to get comfortable while flipping through pages.
Sitting for long periods while looking down to read a book can cause a stiff neck and back.
While you might be able to use regular pillows to prop yourself up, reading pillows are specifically designed to offer support without having to compromise on comfort.
So, while you don’t necessarily have to buy a special pillow for reading, doing so might make reading in bed that much more comfortable.
The versatility of reading pillows also makes them useful out of the bed. Some reading pillows may be used on the floor or as additional support when sitting on a chair or sofa.
There are three main things to look out for when selecting your reading pillow: inner fill, outer fabric, and the shape of the pillow.
Reading pillows are most commonly filled with solid memory foam, shredded memory foam, or polyester fibers.
Memory foam is great for support thanks to its ability to contour to the shape of your body.
As opposed to solid memory foam, shredded memory foam is more breathable since air can circulate better.
On the flip side, polyester fibers offer an inexpensive fill for reading pillows. However, pillows with this fill aren’t likely to last as long as memory foam pillows.
You can find reading pillows encased in velvet, velour, faux suede, cotton, and more.
These fabrics require different cleaning methods, with the most delicate being velvet, which may require professional cleaning.
Some pillows come with removable, washable covers. Others are designed to be spot-cleaned only.
A traditional shape for a reading pillow consists of a high back and two support arms on the sides. These pillows are a good option if you’re looking for comfortable support while reading in bed.
Wedge pillows are another versatile option that can prop you up in bed while reading or watching a show.
|LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow||$||shredded foam||traditional|
|Contour Living Flip Pillow||$||fiber fill||wedge|
|Vekkia Reading and Bedrest Pillow||$$||shredded foam||traditional|
|IPEVO Pad Pillow||$||foam||handheld wedge|
|Peachwell Triangular Reading Pillow||$$$||polyester fill||wedge, 2 neck pillows|
|Avana Comfort Kind Bed System||$$$||memory foam||body wedge, knee rest, head rest, lumbar pillow|
Reading pillows are a great addition to your bedroom, living room, or working area. But there’s no one-size-fits-all, “perfect” reading pillow that everyone will love.
Finding the best reading pillow for you will require setting an intention before you shop. You should know what type of fill material (memory foam, shredded foam, or polyester fill) you’re looking for, as well as if you’re hoping to find something with a removable, washable cover.
You should also decide if this will be a pillow that you share with a partner as you read together, or if you’re looking for something only one person can use at a time.
Elizabeth Plumptre is a freelance health and wellness writer. She has spent the last 4 years helping brands like Hims, MindBodyGreen, and Prose create content that resonates with diverse readers. You can check out more of her work by visiting bethwrotethat.com