Fluoxetine (Prozac) is a type of depression medication. It belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Doctors sometimes use Prozac to treat other conditions, such as anxiety.
While not common, liver injury
Read on to learn more about what we do know about Prozac and liver function and what risks are associated with Prozac and alcohol use.
Drug-induced liver injury (hepatoxicity) is an acute condition specific to certain medications, supplements, or herbs you may take. Researchers believe this is the
Drug-induced liver injuries are
- acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as Advil, Motrin IB, or Aleve
- antineoplastic drugs, such as methotrexate
- heart disease medications, such as statins for high cholesterol
- drugs that affect the central nervous system, such as anticonvulsant medications like valproate
- herbal and dietary supplements
Research suggests that
Drinking alcohol while taking Prozac may make your medication less effective. According to a
- worsening symptoms of depression, including hopelessness
- increased risk of a possible alcohol overdose
To date, duloxetine (Cymbalta) is the only antidepressant reported by the
You should also be aware of possible interactions between alcohol and other medications you may take. According to the
- allergy medications, such as antihistamines and decongestants
- certain anxiety medications
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications
- mood stabilizers
- medications for angina, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
- blood thinners
- pain relievers
- medications for certain chronic diseases, such as arthritis and diabetes
Possible early symptoms of cirrhosis
- abdominal pain
- fatigue and weakness
- reduced appetite and unintentional weight loss
- nausea and vomiting
As liver damage worsens, you
Is it safer to wait a few hours after taking Prozac before drinking alcohol?
With long-term medications like Prozac, it doesn’t make a difference if you wait a few hours before drinking alcohol. Medications may interact with alcohol at any point of the day,
How long does Prozac stay in your body?
The exact timeline for medications staying in your body varies, even among SSRIs. Prozac can take 25 days or longer to fully exit your body.
You shouldn’t suddenly stop taking Prozac or change your dose. This
Are there any antidepressants that are OK to take if you want to drink alcohol?
There’s a risk of interactions if you take any antidepressant while drinking alcohol. Additionally, Cymbalta carries
SSRIs aren’t the only types of antidepressants available.
Is liver damage permanent?
Liver damage is generally irreversible. This includes alcohol-related damage to your liver. However, you may be able to prevent further liver damage with lifestyle changes.
If your liver has already incurred damage from alcohol or medications, the best thing you can do is stop drinking alcohol. This may limit further damage to your liver and possibly prevent the development of cirrhosis.
Prozac and alcohol both pose certain risks to your health, with alcohol posing a higher risk to your liver overall. While research on liver damage from using Prozac and alcohol is minimal, there are other serious health risks to consider.
As a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t drink alcohol while taking Prozac. Since medications and alcohol use are also highly individual, you may wish to further discuss these concerns with a doctor.