If you’re looking for a pregnancy-friendly spin on traditional chili, try out this creamy, savory recipe. It’s packed with the nutrients your body needs when you’re expecting.
When you’re pregnant, it’s important to make sure you’re choosing nourishing foods rich in nutrients that your body needs to keep both you and your baby healthy.
This Creamy White Chicken Chili recipe gets its satisfying texture and tang from Greek yogurt, which is packed with pregnancy-supporting nutrients like calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B12, zinc, selenium, and protein. Top it with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese for an extra boost of nutrients and flavor.
It’s also very easy to make. You can batch-cook it and store it in the freezer to reheat and eat over multiple meals.
Creamy White Chicken Chili with Greek Yogurt
Cook Time: 30min
Prep Time: 10min
About this recipe:
This protein-packed chili is loaded with nutritious ingredients like zucchini, peppers, beans, Greek yogurt, and chicken. It takes under 40 minutes to prepare and can be made in large batches and frozen for long-term storage. To help prevent the chili broth from separating, we bring the Greek yogurt to room temperature and stir in a little cornstarch. Let the chili cool slightly before stirring it in.
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound (450 g) ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16-ounce can of white beans such as great northern beans or cannellini beans
- 3 cups (711 mL) chicken bone broth
- 1 cup (237 mL) 2% Greek yogurt or whole milk at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Juice of half a lime
- For topping: your choice of tortilla chips, sliced avocado, chopped jalapeno, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and cheese like cheddar or queso fresco
- Add the olive oil to a heavy bottom pot, like a Dutch oven, and place on medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté for around 4 minutes until soft.
- Add the ground chicken, zucchini, spices, salt, and pepper, then cook until chicken is cooked through, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Take half of the beans and pour them into a small bowl. Mash them lightly and add them to the pot. Then add the remaining half of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot and stir.
- Bring the chili to a boil then reduce the heat, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the chili from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Stir the 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch into the Greek yogurt and set aside.
- After the chili has cooled slightly, stir in the Greek yogurt and lime juice.
- Serve the chili warm and top with shredded cheddar cheese or queso fresco, chopped jalapenos, sliced avocado, tortilla chips or strips, and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.