We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Around your eighth to 12th week of pregnancy (or sooner, for some of us), your body can grow in more than just the tummy area.
Your breasts are sore, full, and insisting on attention. Be prepared with a maternity bra. For workouts, for going out, and even for sleep — you need support.
Your maternity bras may differ from the bras you typically wear. Think:
- wider straps
- soft cups as opposed to underwire
- cotton and breathable fabrics to keep you cool
- at least a three-hook closure
- having more than one of these pregnancy bras, to fit as your pregnancy evolves
There are two important things to keep in mind.
- Most women don’t have the correct bra size. Get fitted. Stores like Victoria’s Secret and Nordstrom will do this for free.
- You might need nursing pads before your baby even comes. Your milk is coming in and it can leak as your pregnancy progresses. Pads can be tucked into your bra for protection. Some are disposable, or you can purchase washable ones.
Here’s a rundown of some of the bras you might want to try.
You need it for work, for dinner out, or for containing the girls as you move about your day. From lace and piping to basic, here are a few picks for what to wear under your professional or mom uniform.
- Goddess Comfort Zone Nursing Bra — $48 at Amazon. Microfiber and an inner cup frame work to provide additional support without underwire. Sizes D and up only.
- Eternal Nursing Bra — $49.95 at Hotmilk Lingerie. The soft and seamless cups make this ideal for everyday wear, especially with dresses and tops, because of the lower center in the front.
- Chic Nursing Bra — $59.95 at Hotmilk Lingerie. This full cup lace bra is available in ivory, purple, and nude. The cotton-lined cups are stretchy at the top to allow for growth.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day to benefit a mother’s health during pregnancy.
Whether you’re running or doing a gentle yoga routine, your maternity lingerie needs are different when it comes to moving your body and sweating. Here are some options.
- Seismic Underwire Bra — $79 at Title Nine. Underwire that works! The underwire separates and holds snugly, and does not pinch as you move.
- Fiona — $39 at Amazon. The wide front panel and the V-shaped back are great for keeping you in place yet cool while working out. The wide straps feature Velcro for easy adjustments through pregnancy and possibly for nursing later. Works on all body types.
- Enell High Impact Sports Bra — $79 at Amazon. The super secure workout bra is here. Enell’s moisture-wick fabric keeps you cool, and the 10 front-hook closures safeguard you against bouncing around.
Some women need that “ahhhh” moment when they take the bra off and climb into bed. Others need to feel like their breasts are still secure during slumber.
- Emma Maternity and Nursing Sleep Bra — $18.99 at Target. Cotton, nylon, and spandex help create a basic (think: no clasps) and versatile bra that moves with you while you sleep.
- Frances Soft Cup Cotton Leisure Bra by Amoena — $33 at Nordstrom. Four front hooks and moisture-wicking fabric make this ideal for sleep or lounging. Sizing is small to extra large.
- NorthStyle Sleep Bras — $9.99 for a set of two at NorthStyle. This bra is comfortable and basic. No fuss, with wide straps and soft cups.
Later in pregnancy, you have a feel for how things are going with your body. A multi-use bra can be key after the baby comes, for nursing, pumping, and overall comfort.
- The In-Command Nursing Bra — $49 at Title Nine. The polka dots make this bra. But it also has front access and adjustable cups and straps!
- Starter Nursing Bra — $39 at Amazon. This can double as a nursing and sleep bra because of the wide, comfy cotton that surrounds your breasts. It’s adjustable over two sizes and has an inner sling with full access for nursing.
- Passion Spice Elle Nursing Bra — $28.95 at Mom 4 Life. Microfiber fabric, cute piping, and ruffled straps make this bra worth investing in.
Curious what other products you might want during your pregnancy? Check out the eight best pregnancy pillows!