We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best budget-friendly table and chair set: Humble Crew Table and 4 Chairs
- Best activity table for storage: UTEX 2-in-1 Kids Multi-Activity Table and 2 Chairs
- Best activity table with an easy-clean top: Costzon Kids Table and 2 Chair Set
- Best activity table for small spaces: Delta Children Chair Desk with Storage Bin
- Best portable table and chair set: Disney Junior Minnie Mouse Blossoms & Bows Activity Table Set
- Best activity table with ergonomic chair: Costzon Kids Mid-Century Modern Style Table Set
- Best solid wood table set: Amazon Basics Kids Solid Wood Table and 2 Chair Set
- Best table set for playrooms: KidKraft Wooden Heart Table & Chair Set with 4 Storage Bins
- Best table and bench set: Amazon Basics Indoor Kids Table and Bench Set
The time finally comes in every child’s life when they’re ready for a table and chair set that’s designed just for them. Shopping for a toddler table and chair set is a bit of a milestone.
All toddler tables are cute (tiny furniture!), but you’ll also need something durable that can transition from mealtime to learning or arts and crafts sessions. So, as you consider adding a toddler table and chair set to your home, take a look at our recommendations to help narrow your search.
When shopping for a toddler table for your little one, consider the following:
- Size. Your toddler furniture set should be the right size for a 2- to 5-year-old to easily use — in the 20- to 25-inch height range.
- Seating. While a one- or two-chair set may be fine if your toddler is an only child (so far!), a four-chair set may be better if you’re trying to accommodate several children in your household or if you host playdates regularly.
- Design. There’s no right or wrong option here, but you’ll need to decide where you want to keep the toddler table and chair set. Consider if you want something that blends in more with your home’s general decor, or if you’re OK with a more child-like design.
- Materials. Toddler table sets that meet government standards are going to be made from child-safe materials, but you can still choose among wood, plastic, and even metal frame options. It’s wise to prioritize surfaces that are easy to clean so you can quickly wipe up those inevitable messes.
- Durability. Considering that the toddler phase can range between the ages of 2 to 5, you’re probably going to want a table set that can last more than a year. Look for durable solutions that can stand up to whatever your toddler throws at it — which can be a lot. And make sure the table can support their weight because, yes, your toddler might even attempt to stand on it!
- Portability. This is a nice-to-have feature if you’re thinking of bringing your toddler’s table set with you to visit friends or relatives. In this scenario, look for table sets with folding legs and folding chairs so you can pop them into the trunk without taking up too much space.
If you’re buying a table and chair set from a reputable online or brick and mortar retailer, you can be reasonably confident that the furniture has passed all U.S. safety requirements. In this scenario, “reputable” refers to established retailers such as Target, Walmart, or BuyBuyBaby.
If you shop online from other sources, including aggregates like Amazon, you’ll want to look for listings where the seller is the actual manufacturer (think Delta Children’s Furniture, or KidKraft, for example), or shipped and fulfilled by Amazon, as these listings will adhere to Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines. Listings from third-party sellers, in contrast, may not comply with the CPSC guidelines.
If you’re inheriting or buying a set secondhand, you can visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission website to check that the furniture set isn’t on a recall list. Also, inspect it thoroughly to make sure that there aren’t signs of significant wear and tear on furniture joints.
For this list, we considered the size, seating options, design, materials, durability, portability, and of course feedback from real parents like you.
Price and measurements guide
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = over $100
All height (H), length (L), and width (W) measurements are in inches.
Best budget-friendly table and chair set
- Price: $
- Table measurements: 17 H x 20 L x 20 W
- Age range: 3 – 8 years
- Colors: each set comes with different combinations of table and chair colors
- Best for: parents that aren’t great with tools
This five-piece table set from Humble Crew is perfect for the playroom and comes with a table and four chairs. It’s available in several different colorways and is made from easy-to-clean plastic (which is ideal if you’ve got a messy eater on your hands).
Although assemblyis required, parents like that the set is easy to put together and doesn’t require any tools. And, while the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, many parents warn that this set should be used on carpet or a foam mat to prevent sliding.
- quick to assemble and doesn’t require tools
- supports a broad range of ages, and works for kids from 3 to 8 years old
- each chair can support up to 50 pounds of weight
- the plastic construction means parents and caretakers can’t use the chairs themselves
- the plastic may offer less stability if a kid wriggles or moves around in the chair
Best activity table for storage
- Price: $$$
- Table measurements: 21 H x 25.6 L x 25.6 W
- Age range: 3 and up
- Colors: white, espresso, and espresso with a gray drawer
- Best for: built-in storage and parents who aren’t afraid of assembly
We admit this pick is a bit of a splurge, but this table and two-chair set gets serious parental praise for its use of built-in storage drawers under the table. Plus, if you’re a parent who wants a toddler table set that blends in with the rest of your home’s decor, this sleek white set will fit the bill.
Parents also love that it comes with a removable and reversible tabletop that can be switched between a smooth surface for mealtimes or crafts, and a Lego-friendly surface (small, original Legos only). However, some parents say they spent around 2 hours assembling this table.
- durable wood construction adds to longevity
- comes with built-in drawer for arts & crafts or storage
- convertible table top supports block building and other activities
- may be pricey for some households
- assembly can be complicated — even with tools
Best activity table with an easy-clean top
- Price: $$$
- Table measurements: 20 H x 21 L x 21 W
- Age range: 1 – 7 years
- Colors: pink, green, coffee
- Best for: everyday use
This table from Costzon features an easy-clean plastic surface, four detachable storage boxes, and two matching, lightweight chairs. The set gets rave reviews from parents for easy assembly, additional storage, and a sturdy design — the table legs even have suction cups on the bottom to help the table stick to hardwood!
Most parents are very happy with this table, but a few say that the storage boxes don’t always stay attached to the table. Also, while the table seems easy enough to build, a few folks mention having to reach out to customer service for help assembling the chairs.
- includes four built-in storage containers underneath
- great for a wide age range — kids from 1 to 7 years old can use the table
- easy to clean, and the storage containers detach
- assembling the chairs can be difficult even with snap-together pieces
- the chairs are lightweight, and may pose a tipping risk for younger kids
Best activity table for small spaces
- Price: $-$$
- Table measurements: 23.2 H x 20.5 L x 22.8 W
- Age range: 3 – 6 years
- Colors: white, dark chocolate, or gray
- Best for: those looking to save space with a multipurpose table
If space is at a premium in your home, this simple chair-desk combo from Delta Children is a great solution. This petite setup is made from engineered wood and comes either in solid hues or brightly decorated with popular characters like Mickey Mouse, Elmo, and PJ Masks.
Reviewing parents say that this desk is easy enough to assemble and feels sturdy. And most folks rave about the storage drawer under the seat and the removable cup holder to hold markers and colored pencils.
- compact design that works perfectly for smaller spaces
- built-in cup holder
- built-in storage drawer in seat
- may not be practical for homes with multiple small children
- seat edge may be uncomfortable for younger children as it hits the back of the legs awkwardly
Best portable table and chair set
- Price: $
- Table measurements: 16.5 H x 20 L x 20 W
- Age range: 2 – 5 years
- Colors: pink for Minnie, or red for Mickey
- Best for: little kids who love Disney
Whether you need a comfy spot for your toddler to set up shop at a relative’s house or are just looking for a space-saving solution, this portable table and chair set from Disney Junior might come in handy. Featuring either Mickey or Minnie Mouse, this table and matching chair easily fold flat for transporting or storing.
This set is made from tubular metal with vinyl surfaces on the table and chair that are easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth. The chair can support up to 70 pounds, but parents warn that it’s verysmall. You’ll need to assemble this table and chair yourself, but tools are included.
If your child is more interested in Mickey than Minnie, there’s also a Mickey version of the table.
- the folding design makes it easy to pack for road trips
- the seats are comfortable as they have padding and a backrest
- the large tabletop makes it ideal for multiple uses
- the table only comes with one chair
- its small size may be too compact for older preschool- or kindergarten-aged children
Best activity table with ergonomic chair
- Price: $$$
- Table measurements: 20 H x 23.5 D
- Age range: 3 – 12 years
- Colors: white, multicolor
- Best for: everyday use
This mid-century-inspired table and chair set from Costzon features four ergonomically designed, toddler-friendly chairs that come with backrests and armrests. It’s designed to be supportive, but it’s undeniably one of the most design-friendly options on this list!
This set has one of the highest weight limits, with each chair supporting up to 110 pounds, so kids of multiple ages can sit together. However, it’s worth noting that most parents who purchased this set say that assembly was a real doozy.
- the table and chairs work for a large age range — kids from 3 – 12 can use it, so it grows with your child
- it comes with four seats, making it ideal for play dates
- the chairs are meant to be ergonomic, and have a waterfall seat edge
- the set is on the pricier side
- assembly can be frustrating — even with the right tools
Best Solid Wood Table
- Price: $$
- Table measurements: 21 H x 20 L x 24 W
- Age range: 2 – 6 years
- Color: white
- Best for: everyday use; adults and caregivers who want to be able to sit with kids
If you’re looking for a table and chair set for your toddler that’s going to last, you also need to consider that every so often your little one is going to ask you to sit with them. If you pick a flimsy table set, or one that just can’t support your weight, that’s out of the question.
A solid wood choice, like this one from Amazon Basics, is a good option as you can rest assured it won’t fall apart if you sit in it for more than 2 minutes.
This simple all-white table and chair set features a sturdy white table and two matching chairs. While Amazon Basics doesn’t list a weight restriction for this set, one reviewer said a family member that weighed 290 pounds was able to safely sit in one of the chairs without a problem.
- the set is made of solid wood, which will add durability and make it easier for adults to occasionally use the chairs, too
- the table will work for kids ranging from their toddler years to kindergarten
- it’s not difficult to assemble, and comes with easy-to-follow instructions
- it’s only available in white finish, which could get dirty often
- the set is on the pricey side
Best table set for playrooms
- Price: $$$
- Table measurements: 19.5 H x 30.4 L x 22.4 W
- Age range: 3 – 8 yrs
- Color: white table with pink and purple accents
- Best for: playrooms; extra storage
If you have a dedicated playroom, this is a fun table and chair set that will be the perfect accent. Along with a cute table with two matching chairs, you’ll get four storage bins that can be placed on the built-in storage racks on both sides of the table. The wide top is perfect for snack time, lunch time, and of course drawing or tea parties.
This set is rated safe for children from ages 3 to 8 and comes with step-by-step assembly instructions. Your child will love the heart accents on the seat backs and in the table, which are color-coordinated with the rest of the table. Some parents might feel that the pink and purple color and hearts, the only style the table comes in, makes it limited to girls.
- the table works for kids ages 3 to 8
- it has built-in storage with four removable bins
- the table is made from wood for added durability
- it’s on the pricier side
- the color palette and design may not suit all tastes
Best Table and Bench Set
- Price: $$$
- Table measurements: 18.98 H x 42 L x 22.64 W
- Age range: 3 – 8 years
- Colors: natural wood and yellow accents, or white with yellow accents
- Best for: households with multiple children
Most toddler table sets come with individual chairs. If you’re a fan of benches, you’ll love this cute set from Amazon Basics. It’s only intended for indoor use, but is reminiscent of picnic tables with benches, which give you flexibility in terms of how many kids can sit at the table. With younger tots, in particular, you could likely seat six children.
This table set is made from natural solid wood and has a table top that’s wide enough for a variety of activities, from arts and crafts to meal time. Most parents and caregivers who purchased this table set loved it. The most common complaint was that reviewers wish there was another color option beside the yellow base.
- the large benches allow you to seat up to six younger kids
- the table is made from solid wood, which adds durability
- it’s a large table that can support a wide range of activities
- the set is on the pricey side
- it only comes in two colors, both of which have bright yellow base supports that parents might not like
|Product||Price||Age (in years)||Material||Seats|
|Humble Crew Lightweight Table & 4 Chairs||$$||3 – 8||plastic||4|
|UTEX 2-in-1 Kids Multi-Activity Table and 2 Chairs||$$$||3 and up||wood||2|
|Costzon Kids Table and 2 Chair Set||$$$||1 – 7||plastic||2|
|Delta Children Chair Desk with Storage Bin||$||3 and up||engineered wood||1|
|Disney Junior Minnie Mouse Blossoms & Bows Activity Tablet Set||$||2 – 5||metal, plastic||1|
|Costzon Mid-Century Modern Style Table Set||$$$||3 – 12||plastic, MDF, wood, metal||4|
|Amazon Basics Kids Solid Wood Table and 2 Chair Set||$$||2 – 6||wood||2|
|KidKraft Wooden Heart Table & Chair Set with 4 Storage Bins||$$$||3 – 8||wood, plastic||2|
|Amazon Basics Indoor Kids Table and Bench Set||$$$||3 – 8||Wood||2|
What can the toddler table and chair sets be used for?
There are so many options for a toddler table and chair set. While the obvious choice is a dedicated play space for arts and crafts or tea parties, they can also serve as the primary space where your child has their meals.
Of course, you can also use them to store additional toys or supplies for drawing and painting, depending on which set you select.
Is there a certain age to start or stop using table and chair sets?
Before they begin to use a table and chair, your child should have mastered neck and head control, and should also be able to sit upright without assistance.
In most cases, you’ll find that the lowest age that a table and chair set is recommended for is around 12 months. Even then, you’ll want to consider other factors, like how low to the ground the chair is, and if the table is too tall.
Like anything made for growing children, your child will eventually get too big to use most of the tables on our list. You should phase a set out once your child exceeds the maximum weight capacity for the chairs, or if the table or chair is showing signs of wear. For example, peeling paint or chipped wood can pose an injury risk, so if you notice those, you’ll want to replace your table set.
What are the benefits of a table and chair set for my toddler?
Having a dedicated space to sit and play, or eat, can help boost your child’s independence. You can also ensure your child is maintaining good posture by sitting at an ergonomic chair, as opposed to slumping over on the floor.
Depending on the type of table set you select, you can also help to boost gross and fine motor skills as toddlers learn how to move their chair or toys on their table. If you have multiple children using a table and chair set, they will learn how to share and take turns, too.
At some point, your child will graduate from Boppy cushions and supported sitting accessories to independent play at a table. When they’re ready to make the transition, you want a table and chair set that’s safe for children and isn’t on any recall lists, but also works for your child’s needs and your household size and setup. Fun options that incorporate storage can be a great way to cut down on playroom clutter while also helping teach children to be responsible for their toys and manage simple household chores.
Meanwhile, if you pick wisely, you can find a table and chair set that grows with your little one — ensuring that you’re not replacing it every few months. And, depending on your family goals, that can also translate into a toddler table set that has room for new additions in your household.