We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The time finally comes in every child’s life when they’re ready for a table and chair set that’s designed just for them. Shopping for a toddler table and chair set is a bit of a milestone.
All toddler tables are cute (tiny furniture!), but you’ll also need something durable that can transition from mealtime to learning or arts and crafts sessions. So, as you consider adding a toddler table and chair set to your home, take a look at some of our recommendations to help narrow your search.
When shopping for a toddler table for your little one, consider the following:
- Size. Your toddler furniture set should be the right size for a 2- to 5-year-old to easily use — in the 20- to 25-inch height range.
- Seating. While a one- or two-chair set may be fine if your toddler is an only child (so far!), a four-chair set may be better if you’re trying to accommodate several children in your household or if you host playdates regularly.
- Design. There’s no right or wrong option here, but you’ll need to decide where you want to keep the toddler table and chair set. Consider if you want something that blends in more with your home’s general decor, or if you’re OK with a more child-like design.
- Materials. Toddler table sets that meet government standards are going to be made from child-safe materials, but you can still choose among wood, plastic, and even metal frame options. It’s wise to prioritize surfaces that are easy to clean so you can quickly wipe up those inevitable messes.
- Durability. Considering that the toddler phase can range between the ages of 2 to 5, you’re probably going to want a table set that can last more than a year. Look for durable solutions that can stand up to whatever your toddler throws at it — which can be a lot. And make sure the table can support their weight because, yes, your toddler might even attempt to stand on it!
- Portability. This is a nice-to-have feature if you’re thinking of bringing your toddler’s table set with you to visit friends or relatives. In this scenario, look for table sets with folding legs and folding chairs so you can pop them into the trunk without taking up too much space.
If you’re buying a table and chair set from a reputable online or brick and mortar retailer, you can be reasonably confident that the furniture has passed all U.S. safety requirements.
If you’re inheriting or buying a set secondhand, you can visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission website to check that the furniture set isn’t on a recall list. Also, inspect it thoroughly to make sure that there aren’t any signs of significant wear and tear on furniture joints.
For this list we considered the size, seating options, design, materials, durability, portability, and of course feedback from real parents like you.
Price and measurements guide
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = over $100
All height (H), length (L), and width (W) measurements are in inches.
Best budget-friendly table and chair set
Table measurements: 17 H x 20 L x 20 W
This five-piece table set from Humble Crew is perfect for the playroom and comes with a table and four chairs. It’s available in several different colorways and is made from easy-to-clean plastic (which is ideal if you’ve got a messy eater on your hands).
Although assembly is required, parents like that the set is easy to put together and doesn’t require any tools. And, while the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, many parents warn that this set should be used on carpet or a foam mat to prevent sliding.
Best activity table for storage
Table measurements: 21 H x 25.6 L x 25.6 W
We admit this pick is a bit of a splurge, but this table and two-chair set gets serious parental praise for its use of built-in storage drawers under the table. Plus, if you’re a parent who wants a toddler table set that blends in with the rest of your home’s decor, this sleek white set will fit the bill.
Parents also love that it comes with a removable and reversible tabletop that can be switched between a smooth surface for mealtimes or crafts, and a Lego-friendly surface (small, original Legos only). However, some parents say they spent around 2 hours assembling this table, so you might want to have backup handy.
Best activity table with an easy-clean top
Table measurements: 20 H x 27 L x 27 W
This table from Costzon features an easy-clean plastic surface, four detachable storage boxes, and two matching, lightweight chairs. The set gets rave reviews from parents for easy assembly, additional storage, and a sturdy design — the table legs even have suction cups on the bottom to help the table stick to hardwood!
Most parents are very happy with this table, but a few say that the storage boxes don’t always stay attached to the table, and while the table seems easy enough to build, a few folks mention having to reach out to customer service for help assembling the chairs.
Best activity table for small spaces
Table measurements: 23.2 H x 20.5 L x 22.8 W
If space is at a premium in your home, then this simple chair-desk combo from Delta Children is a great solution. This petite setup is made from engineered wood and comes either in solid hues or brightly decorated with popular characters like Mickey Mouse, Elmo, and PJ Masks.
Reviewing parents say that this desk is easy enough to assemble and feels sturdy. And most folks rave about the storage drawer under the seat and that there’s a removable cup holder to hold markers and colored pencils.
Best portable table and chair set
Table measurements: 16.5 H x 20 L x 20 W
Whether you need a comfy spot for your toddler to set up shop at a relative’s house or are just looking for a space-saving solution, this portable table and chair set from Disney Junior might come in handy. Featuring either Mickey or Minnie Mouse, this table and matching chair easily fold flat for transporting or storing.
This set is made from tubular metal with vinyl surfaces on the table and chair that are easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth. The chair can support up to 70 pounds, but parents warn that it’s very small. And you’ll need to assemble this table and chair yourself, but tools are included.
The Minnie Mouse version of this table is currently out of stock, but you can find Mickey here!
Best activity table with ergonomic chair
Table measurements: 20 H x 23.5 D
This mid-century inspired table and chair set from Costzon features four ergonomically designed, toddler-friendly chairs that come with backrests and armrests. It’s designed to be supportive, but it’s undeniably one of the most design-friendly options on this list!
That this set has one of the highest weight limits, with each chair supporting up to 110 pounds so kids of multiple ages can sit together. However, it’s worth noting that most parents who purchased this set say that assembly was a real doozy.