Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best overall nursing pillow: Blessed Nest The Nesting Pillow
- Best classic nursing pillow: Boppy Original Feeding & Infant Support Pillow
- Best nursing pillow for twins: Twin Z Pillow
- Best travel nursing pillow: Humble-Bee Nurse-sling
- Best adjustable nursing pillow: Infantino Elevate Adjustable Nursing Pillow
- Best nursing pillow with back support: My Breast Friend Deluxe Nursing Pillow
- Best nursing pillow after a C-section: Leachco Natural Boost Adjustable Nursing Pillow
- Best nursing pillow for multiple feeding positions: Borje 45° Newborn Breastfeeding Adjustable Pillow
As a new mom, the reality that newborn babies need to feed every 2 to 3 hours quickly sets in. That’s a lot of time spent breastfeeding!
If you’re not able to get comfortable, your body may begin to ache or struggle to keep up with the physical demands of breastfeeding — something no one wants to experience!
One thing that can make breastfeeding less uncomfortable and physically taxing is a breastfeeding pillow. Nursing pillows are designed to support and keep your baby at breast height. With a nursing pillow, you won’t have to hold your baby’s weight.
The additional support can also help alleviate back, shoulder, and neck strain by bringing baby into proper alignment with the nipple when you’re sitting up straight. Even if you’re bottle-feeding your baby, sometimes extra support can be nice.
Have we piqued your curiosity? Interested in learning more about nursing pillows? We’ve got the information you need below.
Deciding on the perfect nursing pillow for you is a very personal decision, but some factors that may weigh into your choice are:
- Shape. Some nursing pillows just nuzzle into your stomach while other pillows wrap all the way around the waist. Which style feels more secure and comfortable will be a personal one.
- Fit. Some nursing pillows allow you to adjust the fit or sizing to better customize the pillow for you and your baby. This may be important, particularly if you have a longer or shorter torso.
- Material. Not only can certain fabrics appeal more to you or your baby, but you may want to keep your eye out for those that are easy to remove from the pillow for machine washing.
- Versatility. Many nursing pillows can also serve other functions (like as a pregnancy pillow, tummy-time prop, or support for sitting babies)
- Storage. While not a make-or-break feature for most moms, a little pocket or storage option in the nursing pillow can be useful!
When assessing breastfeeding pillows, we looked at the same things that we mentioned above: shape, fit, material, versatility, and storage. We also took into account what your fellow breastfeeding parents had to say, since we know you value their firsthand experience.
Finally, we respect that budget can be an important factor in your nursing pillow selection, so we factored that in to give you a heads-up about cost for each product listed.
- $ = under $45
- $$ = $45–$100
- $$$ = over $100
Best overall nursing pillow
This pillow stands out for its high-quality materials. Its buckwheat filling is moldable to change the pillow’s shape to fit your body and elevate your baby at different heights. Some parents even compared it to a bean bag chair!
The organic cotton canvas and terrycloth cover are designed to be elegant, and the pillow’s materials are certified organic.
Potential downsides? This pillow is on the heavier and more expensive side.
Best classic nursing pillow
The Boppy nursing pillow has been around for over 25 years and has consistently gotten good reviews! It makes it easy to breastfeed in a variety of positions, and can also be used as a tummy-time prop and protective cushion as your baby learns to sit up.
The slipcovers come in a variety of patterns and colors, and they are machine washable. You can also buy a spare cover separately, so you have one on hand when you need to wash the first.
Best nursing pillow for twins
This nursing pillow is specifically designed for twins and offers space for a baby on each side if you choose to nurse tandem-style. It can also be wrapped in different configurations if you want to feed one baby at a time or bottle-feed. Perhaps most importantly, it has a backrest to help keep mom comfy during long feeding sessions.
Fun fact: This pillow was featured on “Shark Tank”! Worried that it won’t fit you? Many women with larger frames reported that this pillow was comfortable and fit well. Like many of the other nursing pillows, this can be used as a prop during tummy time.
Best travel nursing pillow
Got limited traveling space? The innovative design of this product may be ideal for you. The adjustable shoulder strap and padded sling hold the baby at breast height offering a hands-free breastfeeding experience.
Its compact shape and pocket mean that it can double as a crossbody bag or easily stash away in travel baggage.
Best adjustable nursing pillow
This nursing pillow’s unique design allows users to flip the layers back and forth to find the perfect height. If you’re petite or tall and can’t seem to find a pillow with the right height and firmness to place your baby at your breast, don’t give up before trying this pillow.
Best nursing pillow with back support
This breastfeeding pillow offers a firm, flat surface for breastfeeding along with a back support cushion. It can secure tightly with a buckle around the back, so you shouldn’t have to worry about it slipping, and reviewers say the soft fabric on the deluxe edition feels good against bare skin. Did we mention it has a storage pocket?
But there is one negative: This pillow isn’t as versatile as some of the other options, and some reviewers note it’s quite bulky.
Best nursing pillow after a C-section
After a C-section it’s important for moms to be careful not to irritate the incision site. This pillow helps minimize the need to lift baby or bend over during feeding sessions.
The booster pillow can be flipped from side to side to accommodate feeding on either left or right breast. It can also be removed and used separately when you’re on the go.
Downsides: Some moms reported that they felt this pillow was too soft. It’s also on the bulkier side.
Best nursing pillow for multiple feeding positions
Designed in a classic “u” or “c” shape, this pillow allows for easy feeding at either breast and across body. It’s also easy to switch positions in the middle of a feeding session without needing to adjust the pillow’s position!
The cover is 100 percent cotton and machine washable, so it’s easy to keep clean. One touch we liked about this pillow was the way the zipper was covered on both sides, so no matter how the pillow was positioned, your baby wouldn’t be rubbing on it.
Best part? The price! This is one of the cheaper pillows on our list.
If you choose to breastfeed your baby, you’ll spend a lot of your day doing it. Comfort (for you and your baby) can help make for a more positive breastfeeding experience.
Nursing pillows can be essential to get comfortable. With a range of shapes, features, and price points, your dream pillow awaits, so you don’t have to let your shoulders, neck, back, and arms ache unnecessarily.