We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best humidifier night light combo: LittleHippo Wispi
- Best night light with remote: LumieWorld LumiPets
- Best children’s lamp with night light: Vava Baby Night Light
- Best night light with music: Skip Hop Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother Owl
- Best night light with timer: LittleHippo Mella
- Best night light with projections: Luckkid Star Projector Lamp
- Best plug-in night light: Projectables LED Plug-In Night Light
- Best budget-friendly night light: Munchkin Find My Way Nightlight
- Best plush night light: Summer Slumber Buddies
- Best night light with sound machine: Hatch Rest
Creating a peaceful sleep environment for your little loved one can help make bedtime a breeze. The right night light helps relax your child as they doze off and provides comfort when they wake up in the middle of the night.
While it’s not entirely necessary, a soothing night light can be a fantastic addition to your child’s room or nursery. Let’s face it: The dark can be scary! And a night light can provide your child with a sense of safety and comfort as they drift into dreamland.
Whether you’re looking to relax your child as they start to snooze, establish a bedtime routine, or alleviate fears of things that go bump in the night, there are plenty of night lights available to do just that.
First, decide what you want to use the night light for. In addition to adding some light to your child’s nursery or bedroom, some night lights also work for reading, diaper changes, or nighttime feedings. Some even have timers that help kids develop a sleep schedule.
Consider details such as:
- music and sounds
- types of lightbulbs
- color and brightness
- alarm capabilities
- projected images
- remote control
- plug-in or battery operated
Projected images are popular with children of all ages and may help create a relaxing atmosphere. Kids who are learning to tell time enjoy night lights with timer and alarm features. They may appreciate knowing when it’s time to go to sleep, get out of bed, or get ready for school.
We researched the functions of the following products and read customer reviews to help you figure out the best choices in terms of price, function, and quality. Read on to find exactly what you’re looking for in a night light — you may even end up with one in your own room!
- $ = under $15
- $$ = $15–$40
- $$$ = over $40
Best humidifier night light combo
The LittleHippo Wispi is a night light, humidifier, and essential oil diffuser in one. The LED light offers seven vivid color options, but unfortunately the light is not dimmable. The settings are intuitive and it’s not only easy to operate, but also simple clean (a huge plus for a humidifier). You can use it as a humidifier without turning on the light or adding essential oils.
The plug-in device quietly adds cool moisture to the air, thanks to what the company dubs “cool mist technology.” This is key for children’s humidifiers, as cool mists won’t cause scalding, an issue that can occur with hot water humidifiers.
The humidifier feature is useful for children who live in dry climates or have allergies, dry skin, or respiratory concerns. If you add oils, be sure to review our essential oil guidelines, as certain oils should never be used around children.
- The device is multi-purpose — it serves as a night light, humidifier, and essential oil diffuser.
- The Wispi is easy to use.
- The device runs quietly.
- The night light isn’t dimmable, and it may be too bright for some.
- A few customers complain that the display screen is blurry.
- You’ll need to keep it clean to avoid mold.
Best night light with remote
These adorable animal designs make a great nighttime companion for your child. Complete with nine soothing color options, this darling portable LED light stays cool to the touch and recharges using a USB port.
LumiPets night lights are best suited for toddlers and preschoolers, but the included remote means parents can easily operate the device, too. The animal-shaped design (take your pick of a bunny, unicorn, bear, among others) is made of nontoxic washable silicone that’s easy to clean. The remote can adjust the colors, brightness, and control a sleep timer.
- The light has nine color options that can be changed via remote control.
- It’s easy to clean in the dishwasher.
- LumiPets batteries can last 10 to 12 hours per charge, which should be plenty for a good night’s rest.
- LumiPets may be too bright for some.
- The remote doesn’t turn the light on — it only allows you to change the light’s color — and the range is poor.
- Some customers report that it stopped working after a few months.
Best children’s lamp with night light
VAVA Baby Night Light VA-CL009
Featuring eight color options, this highly rated night light sits on your child’s dresser or nightstand and is suitable for all ages. Parents love that you can adjust the brightness with a tap, changing from white to yellow light. Kids enjoy decorating the lamp with the included facial expression stickers — talk about a win-win!
Designed with a handle, the easy portability of this battery-powered LED night light makes it easy to travel with. Plus, since it’s waterproof, you may even find yourself using it on a camping adventure.
- The light is portable and lightweight.
- It’s good for night feedings and diaper changes.
- It has a long battery life. According to the company, one charge can power the light for 100 hours.
- It emits a flashing blue light when it’s in standby mode.
- There’s no option to dim the colors.
- Some people find it isn’t bright enough.
- It doesn’t come with a remote.
Best night light with music
Skip Hop Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother Owl
Bring a sparkling night sky into your child’s room with this charming owl-shaped night light projector with a standard bulb. This plug-in lamp doubles as a sound machine, featuring four melodies and four nature sound options to ease infants and toddlers into a deep sleep.
If you’re heading off for the weekend, this light is great because it’s small and lightweight — so you can easily toss it in a bag when you’re on the road.
- The lamp has volume and brightness adjustments.
- It helps soothe and calm infants and toddlers.
- It’s easy to use, with a panel of buttons on the device.
- It’s not bright enough for some.
- The sound quality is poor.
- It doesn’t come with a remote.
Best night light with timer
This innovative night light is designed to help children ages 1 and up follow a sleep schedule. You can adjust the brightness of the standard bulb, and the light has a battery and plug-in option. The light has a nap timer and several alarm options. As a night light, you can select from six color options.
Come morning, the Mella uses a combination of digital facial expressions, colors, and an alarm to signal to your child when it’s time to play quietly, or actually get up and start their day.
The alarm clock glows yellow 30 minutes before they needs to wake up and changes to green when it’s time to get out of bed. One parent says her daughter reads a book in bed when the yellow light turns on and waits until it turns green to get out of bed.
You can also set a countdown on the Mella for naps or other activities.
- The night light has intuitive features that help children follow a schedule.
- As a night light, you can select from six color options.
- The Mella can also be used as a countdown timer for other activities.
- It’s easy to open the battery compartment, and batteries are a choking hazard for little ones — so you must keep this device out of reach.
- The battery may malfunction.
- A few customers complain that it’s poor quality.
- It doesn’t come with a remote, so you have to do everything on the device itself.
Best night light with projections
Luckkid Star Projector Lamp
It’s a starry night every night with this LED projector lamp, which comes with five projection films and can be used in three different colors at three brightness levels. It displays the images on the walls and ceiling.
To use it as a basic night light, simply place the included cover over the lamp. This essentially blocks and dims the projection so that it’s shining onto the cover rather than the walls.
It operates using batteries or a plug, and you can adjust the color and brightness. The lamp is suitable for kids ages 1 and up, though plenty of adults love it as well. Who knows, you may find yourself breaking it out during your next party for a disco feel.
- It’s good for children who are scared of the dark.
- It helps kids relax and unwind.
- The images are clear.
- You can use it at different brightness levels and with several films.
- The light isn’t bright enough for some.
- It uses lots of batteries.
- The cord is on the shorter side.
Best plug-in night light
Projectables LED Plug-In Night Light
This energy-efficient LED night light is another option that projects colorful images onto the wall, ceiling, or floor. The simple plug-in design uses a light sensor to automatically turn on at dusk and off at dawn.
Many parents report that their children enjoy studying the solar system with this light, but it also comes in themes such as tropical fish, safari scenes, or the solar system. You can even opt for a “Paw Patrol” version. The light is suitable for all ages.
- The price of this night light is tough to beat.
- It helps to calm children who are afraid of the dark.
- You can purchase it with a single projector image, or a set of six.
- The display is on the smaller side and can look blurry.
- The images fade over time.
- It’s not bright enough for some.
Best budget-friendly night light
Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight
Price: $$ (two-pack)
Suitable for ages 2 and up, this sweet little night light doubles as a nursery decoration. It uses LED lightbulbs so the light stays cool to the touch and is battery-operated so you don’t have to deal with cords or charge it.
It also has a handle so your child can easily carry it with them as they navigate the hallway. With only one button, it’s simple and easy to use. It automatically turns off after 20 minutes.
- The light is easy for children to use.
- Kids can use it to read before bed.
- It’s sturdy, durable, and portable.
- It only stays on for 20 minutes.
- It uses blue light.
- The power button might be difficult to find in the dark.
Best plush night light
Summer Slumber Buddies
Summer Slumber Buddies come in a variety of plush animals, but this plush Eddie the Elephant is one of the cutest options on our list. You can set the elephant’s LED light to blue, green, or amber, or opt for a projected image, which illuminates the walls. This battery-powered night light is great for infants and toddlers.
In addition to lighting up, this night light plush toy features peaceful songs and nature sounds with three-volume options. It’s a hit with parents and kids alike — one reviewer even shares that her daughter has used hers non-stop for 4 years!
Just note that this nightlight should not ever be placed in cribs with babies, as it can pose a suffocation hazard.
- The portable night light is great for travel.
- It helps kids relax for naps and bedtime.
- The music it plays is soothing and calming.
- It stays on for a maximum of 45 minutes.
- The buttons are difficult to see in the dark.
- The sound quality leaves something to be desired.
Best night light with sound machine
The Hatch Rest LED night light includes a sound machine with several themes and colors suitable for all ages. It has adjustable brightness and is loved by reviewers. Plus it has an OK-to-wake clock so your tot will know when it’s time to rise and shine.
Reviewers claim the sound quality is surprisingly good for such a small device. Parents say they love being able to adjust and control this plug-in sound machine from their phone or tablet (via Bluetooth).
It’s worth noting: Like most apps, this product requires you to fork over a good deal of data about your baby and your routine when you set it up. If that sounds like TMI to share with your kid’s night light, this is probably not the product for you.
- The night light is useful for setting up a sleep routine.
- You can adjust the colors, volume, and brightness.
- The app is intuitive.
- The buttons are difficult to see in the dark.
- The app may be too much for privacy-conscious parents.
- A few customers report that it broke after a few months.
|Night light||Price||Power source||LED||Age |
|LittleHippo Wispi||$$$||plug-in||yes||all ages|
|LumieWorld LumiPets||$$||battery||yes||toddlers and preschoolers|
|VAVA Baby Night Light VA-CL009||$$||battery||yes||all ages|
|Skip Hop Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother Owl||$$||plug-in||no||infants and toddlers|
|LittleHippo Mella||$$$||battery and plug-in||no||toddlers and older|
|Luckkid Star Projector Lamp||$$||battery and plug-in||yes||toddlers and older|
|Projectables LED Plug-In Night Light||$||plug-in||yes||all ages|
|Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight||$$||battery||yes||ages two and up|
|Summer Slumber Buddies||$$||battery||yes||infants and toddlers|
|Hatch Rest||$$$||plug-in||yes||all ages|
It’s best to opt for a night light with warm colors, as blue and white light can reduce sleep quality and make it harder to fall asleep. Some lights have color options and allow you to adjust the brightness. You’ll want a brighter light if you plan to use it to read before bed or change diapers during the night. Opt for a dim light if you plan to leave it on all night.
Aside from the light itself, choosing the best night light for your child will depend on its features and intended use. Do you want something that’s purely a night light, or do you prefer a device like Mella that can help your child determine when they should get out of bed?
Another consideration might be whether the light can turn on easily if your child wakes up during the night and if it’s portable. While plug-in options may be great for kids who stay put or sleep through the night, a portable, battery-operated model could be better if your child wants to be able to carry it into, say, the bathroom.
What color night light is best for children?
Dim night lights and warmer colors are best for children. Results of a
Blue and yellow LED lighting can suppress the production of melatonin — the main hormone that regulates your sleep-wake cycle — and reduce tiredness throughout the night in children, which may negatively affect sleep quality.
When should I give my child a night light?
You can give your child a night light at any age, but you’ll want to pay attention to any safety features that may make specific models more or less suitable for infants and toddlers. For example, you might want to steer clear of night lights with battery compartments that are easy to open.
Are there any benefits to night lights for kids?
Night lights may help children feel calm and comfortable, which could allow them to doze off easily and sleep deeply. They may help children who are afraid of the dark to feel relaxed and at ease overnight.
They can also be practical for children who wake up at the night and want to be able to go to another room. Options with timers can be useful for children who enjoy reading in bed before falling asleep.
In other words: The specific benefits will depend on the type of night light you choose and your child, but there are plenty to go around.
There are plenty of night lights available, from the most basic options to lights with features such as projections, sounds, humidifiers, and color options. Some night lights cast a dim glow, while others are bright enough for reading and diaper changes.
Many children will benefit from a night light — whether it helps them know when to get up, or it keeps them sound asleep and decrease stress overnight.