We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
When you’re pregnant, the idea of making formula might not seem so hard — you just scoop the recommended amount of powder into the recommended amount of water and shake, shake, shake, right?
Yes… but many parents are surprised to discover just how time-consuming and even tricky it can be.
Enter the baby formula maker: a machine designed to churn out smooth and creamy bottles of formula at just the right consistency, without any bubbles that could give your baby gas and keep you both up all night.
- Best overall baby formula maker: Baby Breeza Formula Pro Advanced
- Baby formula maker with the sleekest design: BabyEXO Formula Dispenser Machine
- Best baby formula maker with app integration: LivingEZ Smart Formula Pro
- Most affordable baby formula maker: Dr. Brown’s Formula Mixing Pitcher
- Easiest baby formula maker to use: Munchkin Smart Blend Formula Mixing Pitcher
- Best dual-purpose baby formula maker: Prince Lionheart Versa Formula Mixer
- Best baby formula maker with bonus features: Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Day & Night
Baby formula makers do just that — they make formula by blending the right amount of powder with the right amount of water. And then, usually within seconds, they dispense a proportioned and well-blended bottle.
Two main types of baby formula makers are on the market today: baby formula mixers, and all-in-one systems that do the work for you.
Baby formula mixers only mix the water and formula together, leaving you to take care of the proper heating. All-in-one formula systems, however, allow you to just press a button to create a warm bottle that’s ready for your baby.
Baby formula makers are usually fairly easy to use and come with directions on proper use. However, many pediatricians warn against becoming too comfortable with allowing these machines to do all of the work for you without your supervision. Baby formula is specifically made with the precise amount of nutrients a baby needs.
It must be mixed with the correct amount of water every single time. And because there’s no reliable way to check whether or not the formula was mixed accurately, many pediatricians would prefer you mix formula by hand.
Even small changes in the concentration of formula can result in negative health outcomes.
“For example, a formula that is made too diluted would not provide the infant with enough calories, fats, proteins, and carbohydrates,” says Gary Kirkilas, MD, a pediatrician at Phoenix Children’s Hospital and spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics.
He explains that an over-diluted concentration could also cause an imbalance in electrolytes, which could put an infant at risk for seizures.There are risks when not enough water is added as well.
“Formula mixed to a higher concentration than recommended may cause overfeeding, indigestion, and other gastrointestinal issues,” he says. While Dr. Kirkilas can appreciate that these automated machines may offer convenience to parents, he reminds parents to be cautious.
Always monitor your baby’s urine and weight gain to make sure they are staying adequately hydrated and getting enough nutrients. If you notice something is off or you’re concerned, discuss it with your pediatrician.
To create this list of the best baby formula makers, we researched the market for the newest and most improved machines. We also factored in customer reviews and ratings to understand which features parents liked most and which ones they felt needed improvements. Here are some of the areas we found most useful when selecting which baby formula makers to feature in this list:
- Type: There are automatic and manual options. Automatic machines basically do the work for you. They’re far more high tech and are designed to churn out a ready-made formula in the perfect increments and at the perfect temperature with the push of a button. Manual options require a little more work on your part but tend to be significantly cheaper and give you a bit more control over the process.
- Size: Formula makers come in all sizes. Consider how much counter space you have available so that you’re not overwhelmed by the size of the formula maker you purchase.
- Material: As with any product you purchase for your baby, you want to make sure it doesn’t contain any potentially harmful ingredients, like BPA, phthalates, or other potentially harmful chemicals. This is especially true for something like a formula maker, since it heats up in the high temperatures.
- Cleaning: Formula makers require regular cleanings, just like a coffee maker, to prevent mold and bacteria growth. It’s a good idea to know what type of cleaning process yours will require so you know if it’s low or high maintenance.
- Price: Formula makers can vary significantly when it comes to price, so we included products for a variety of budgets.
- Vetting: Our team has vetted each product to ensure they align with Healthline’s brand integrity and safety standards. Read more about our vetting process.
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = $100–$200
- $$$$ = over $200
Here are some of the baby formula makers that topped our list.
Best overall baby formula maker
The very popular Breeza Formula Pro got a total makeover with the newly released advanced version, which is designed to fit right in with the other appliances on your kitchen countertop.
All you have to do is fill the carafe with water and formula and choose the size bottle you’d like it to make (it does 1-ounce increments up to 10 oz.) along with the temperature. You can choose between room temperature, body temperature, or warmer than body temperature.
It takes a matter of seconds and is mixed in a way that aims to prevent air bubbles. The water tank is removable and dishwasher safe.
You can use this product with any bottle brand or size and formula type.
- It has a sleek, high tech design.
- It works with all bottle types and formula brands.
- It lets you customize the amount and the temperature.
- It’s not great at mixing amino-acid based formulas.
- It can be a little loud when mixing the formula.
- It has a lot of parts, so it can take a while to fully clean.
Baby formula maker with the sleekest design
This formula maker also got a redesign since we first published this list — and one that many tech-loving new parents are into. It offers some pretty impressive features.
For example, it can churn out a temperate bottle for your little one in less than 10 seconds thanks to its milk powder and water mixing technology — sans air bubbles.
You can choose between bottle-size increments of 1 to 8 oz. and temperatures from 104 to 158℉ (40-70°C). It works with virtually all formula brands and bottles and is free of BPA. Its digital control temperature setting is completely customizable.
Just make sure to cool the formula to body temperature before feeding to avoid burns.
The bottle tray is adjustable for different bottle heights. It also has a cleaning function that works to remove any internal residue using high heat.
- You can customize the amount and temperature of the formula.
- It makes bottles within 10 seconds.
- It’s made of BPA-free material.
- Some reviewers complain that the formula consistency is too thick.
- Some reviewers complain that the machine clogs.
Best baby formula maker with app integration
It doesn’t get much more high tech than this formula maker, which you can set to turn on with the press of a button on your smartphone.
While you’re lying in bed or relaxing on the couch, you can prompt your formula maker to start mixing, heating, and dispensing a bottle with just the right consistency and temperature.
You can select 0.5-ounce increments up to 8 oz., and you can choose between temperature settings of 98 to 158°F (36.7 to 70°C).
Be sure to check the temperature of the formula by touching it to the inside of your wrist before giving the bottle to your baby. The ideal temperature is no higher than your average body temperature. Formula that’s too hot could cause an injury.
- It has a touch screen that makes choosing settings easy.
- You can set the formula concentration, temperature, and water volume.
- You can control everything right from your smartphone using the LivingEZ APP.
- Some reviewers complain that the concentration of formula can occasionally be off.
- Some reviewers complain about the company’s customer service.
Most affordable baby formula maker
For a fraction of the price of some formula mixers, this one does an impressive job. That’s thanks to a unique blade that’s designed to mix formula quickly, without pesky air bubbles or clumping.
It might not come with all the cool bells and whistles like an automatic baby formula maker, but it prepares up to four 8-ounce bottles of formula at a time, which is 32 oz. of formula at once.
It’s also completely free of BPA and all of its parts are dishwasher safe, so you don’t even have to worry about handwashing them.
- It can blend up to 32 oz. of formula at once.
- It’s easy to pack for trips or excursions.
- It’s easy to clean and is dishwasher safe.
- Some reviewers complain that the lid leaks.
- The parts, especially the handle, break easily.
Easiest baby formula maker to use
Munchkin products are popular with many parents during their child’s first few years of life, and reviewers say the products are pretty reliable. This formula mixer is no exception.
It might be no-frills, but it easily stores and blends up to 24 oz. of any brand of baby formula that you plan on using.
Its simple mixing method, which involves a rotating mixing handle, is designed to reduce air bubbles and clumping. It also has an adjustable time ring that helps you keep track of when the formula was last prepared.
- It mixes and stores up to 24 oz. of baby formula at once.
- Its design helps cut down on air bubbles.
- The rotating mixing handle seals the lid to reduce spills.
- The formula can sometimes clump together.
- It is difficult to clean efficiently.
Best dual-purpose baby formula maker
If you’re someone who loves a multipurpose product, you may appreciate the fact that this easy-to-use, hand-held formula mixer also doubles as a frothing wand to prepare adult drinks like your favorite latte.
That means you can put it to good use even after you no longer have a need to mix baby formula.
The pint-sized mixer uses batteries and can be used with any formula or bottle. It’s super lightweight and compact, which makes it great for travel.
- It doubles as a frothing wand for adults.
- It’s compact, which makes it easy to travel with.
- It has an extra long wand that works well for tall bottles.
- It’s not as durable as other formula makers.
- It can cause spillage due to its fast speed.
Best baby formula maker with bonus features
This automatic formula maker isn’t only high tech, but it has some pretty neat features that are worth considering. It whips up a bottle in less than 2 minutes (not quite as fast as some on our list, but still pretty impressive) and has an LCD display.
It features a soft glow tank so that you can see what you’re doing even if your kitchen lights are not on. This is hugely helpful during midnight feeds.
Unlike many formula makers, you can adjust the volume on this one so that it doesn’t wake up your sleeping baby.
- The glow tank lights up the machine.
- The LCD display is easy to use.
- It has adjustable volume for quiet alerts.
- It’s a little bulkier than other high tech formula makers.
- It’s expensive.
|Baby Breeza Formula Pro Advanced||digital||$$$$||works with all bottle types, you can customize the amount and temperature||not ideal for amino acid-based formulas, can be loud|
|BabyEXO Formula Dispenser Machine||digital||$$$$||works in less than 10 seconds, reduces air bubbles, has temperature control||formula consistency can come out thick, can clog easily|
|LivingEZ Smart Formula Pro||digital||$$$$||LCD touch screen, temperature and volume settings, connects to smartphone app||concentration can be off, customer service could be better|
|Dr. Brown’s Formula Mixing Pitcher||manual||$||affordable, blends up to 32 oz. at once, easy to clean and dishwasher safe||lid can leak easily, parts are not durable|
|Munchkin Smart Blend Formula Mixing Pitcher||manual||$||affordable, mixes up to 24 oz. at once, lid prevents spills||formula can sometimes clump, not easy to clean|
|Prince Lionheart Versa Formula Mixer||battery-operated||$||doubles as espresso wand, compact, works for tall bottles||not as durable as others, spillage can result from fast speed|
|Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Day & Night||digital||$$$||glow tank lights up machine, easy to use, adjustable volume||expensive, bulkier than others|
Do I need a formula maker?
A formula maker is by no means a must-have product. You can always mix your formula by hand, and many pediatricians would prefer that.
However, many parents appreciate the fact that a formula maker can save a significant amount of time. Formula makers also help ensure that bottles are the right consistency, temperature, and size, streamlining the process of making bottles.
What is the best way to clean my formula maker?
It’s a good idea to read up on the specific cleaning needs of your particular formula maker.
However, most can be cleaned with a combination of two parts water with one part vinegar, in a similar way you would clean your coffee maker. Be sure to remove all parts so there aren’t areas left with buildup.
Can you premake formula bottles?
According to the
Can you live without a baby formula maker? Yes, of course you can. For decades, parents have been mixing their own formula for babies.
However, there’s no denying that the ease and convenience of a formula maker are extremely appealing, especially during those first few (incredibly exhausting) months of a baby’s life.
In addition, a baby formula maker may help reduce the number of bubbles your baby ingests, inevitably cutting back on their gassiness and irritability — a plus for you both!