I’ve made it 11 months with twins, and like dog years, it feels like an eternity — and a total blur. The days of having a single baby feel akin to vacation. That said, in those 11 months, I’ve managed to develop some lifesaving tactics to help us all remain (somewhat) sane. With these hacks, I’ve been able to shower, eat, and yes, even sleep.
1. Miraculously lift both babies with ease.
Use those thigh muscles to squat down, balance one baby on one hip, leaning into the inside of your elbow, while using a curved arm to pick up the other. This is some serious Jane Fonda action!
2. Create a complete white noise vortex in the nursery.
Place two cribs on opposite sides of the room with white noise machines next to each crib. It doesn’t completely block them from hearing each other crying, but trust me, it helps.
3. Use your toes as easily as chopsticks.
You'll be picking items up off the floor in no time.
4. Respond to hecklers silently instead of unleashing your inner Hulk.
Politely nod at strangers who tell you, “You look busy!” when they pass you on the street. Just smile and nod. Breath, smile, and nod.
5. Do some serious multitasking by combining pumping and nursing.
First, get your pump parts set up. Wear a hands-free nursing bra with one side pulled down. Place one baby in a chair propped with a bottle while pumping one side and nursing on the other.
6. Train for American Ninja Warrior by pushing a double stroller uphill.
Hint: lean, lean, lean.
7. If someone offers to help, SAY YES!
Bow down and walk away.
8. Find your inner yogi on the regular.
Remember Star Pose from yoga class? Use it to keep one from putting something in their mouth while making sure the other doesn’t fall down the stairs. And whenever you get overwhelmed, Savasana.
9. Up your Instagram game by pushing both babies in one swing.
Place one facing one way and gently move them to the edge to make room for another little booty and face the other baby in the opposite direction. Voila! You can use one hand to push and the other to get that pic!
Bulk. baby. everything.
11. Embrace your inner type A personality.
Strategically schedule nap time so you can actually take a shower, work out, or even enjoy a glass of wine.
12. Always remember: You’re getting twice the love in one go.
Cuddles, kisses, and smiles x2.
Kasey Hickey is a communications professional, writer, editor, content strategist, recipe developer, mother of twins, and photographer based in Seattle.