We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best weighted heating pad overall: Sharper Image Calming Heat Massaging Weighted Heating Pad
- Best weighted heating pad for back pain: Renpho Large Heating Pad for Back Relief
- Best weighted heating pad for neck and shoulder pain: Sunbeam Heating Pad for Neck and Shoulder Pain Relief
- Best weighted heating pad with massage: Sharper Image Calming Heat Massaging Heating Pad with Jade Stones
- Best weighted heating pad for a large area: Pure Enrichment Weighted Warmth Original Heated Weighted Blanket
- Best weighted heating pad for travel: Sunbeam ConformHeat Heating Pad
- Best weighted heating pad for cramps: Pure Enrichment WeightedWarmth 2-in-1 Weighted Body Pad
Heating pads can be wonderful for soothing tired muscles and treating chronic pain. Heat therapy is generally recommended for muscle spasms, joint pain, and stiffness. This is because heat can boost circulation to an injured or painful area, providing comfort while helping you heal.
Weighted heating pads have the added benefit of staying in place while soothing pain. A little extra weight from your heating pad may also provide gentle compression that relaxes your muscles, similar to how a weighted blanket helps you relax.
The idea behind heating pads is that heat therapy increases circulation to an injured or inflamed area of your body. A weighted heating pad takes heat therapy to the next level by adding pressure and, in some cases, a massage to the affected area.
Weighted heating pads are recommended by some pain specialists as a home remedy for back pain, neck, and shoulder pain caused by injuries or chronic pain conditions. Some people also like to use them to treat menstrual cramps.
Some weighted heating pads are shaped like a small blanket. These work well as an all-purpose heating pad — just place wherever you’re feeling discomfort on your body. You may find that these types of weighting heating pads come with a removable, machine-washable cover for easy cleaning.
Other weighted heating pads are designed to contour to your back, neck, and shoulders. While great for targeting these areas, it isn’t easy to place them on other parts of your body. They’re shaped similar to a cape. Some of the more expensive weighted heating pads come with a massage feature, which may be especially useful for targeting pain.
Every weighted heating pad in this roundup needs to be plugged into the wall while in use. In the future, wireless options may become more available.
- Company reputation. We cross-referenced every brand on this list with the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) warning letter database. We also did our best to track issues with product recalls or lawsuits. In addition, we tried to highlight products that offer a generous warranty or return policy.
- Honesty in marketing. We left off products that advertised unproven medical claims in their marketing materials.
- Convenience and ease of use. We looked for products that are simple to use and easy to obtain online or through local retailers. Practical features, like washable slipcovers and durable materials, were also important.
- Consumer reviews. We read through hundreds of consumer reviews on independent review websites like Trustpilot to flag any quality control concerns.
Best weighted heating pad overall
- Price: $$
- Features: This weighted heating pad is large enough to cover your entire back and neck. The shape of the pad, a large rectangle, makes it easy to use on other parts of your body like your enitre leg. The heating pad also offers three heat settings and three massage options, so you can play around and find which combination works best for you. The extra-long cord is also convenient.
- Considerations: This is a somewhat pricier pick, so if none of these features are a must-have for you, you can probably find a less expensive option. On Trustpilot, some customers mention that buying directly from Sharper Image made returns more difficult, so you may want to buy from another retailer.
Best weighted heating pad for back pain
- Price: $$
- Features: This heating pad contours to your back and shoulders without being too heavy. A tie in the front makes it easy to secure when you’re sitting at your desk or relaxing on the couch. The slipcover is removable and machine-washable, which makes keeping it clean a lot easier. With a heat setting that goes up to 150°F (66°C), it warms up more than many other heating pad options.
- Considerations: Renpho has an average rating on Trustpilot, but not a lot of reviews on that site. The company also has yet to be Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited. However, this particular product has more than 2,000 reviews on Amazon, with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Best weighted heating pad for neck and shoulder pain
- Price: $$
- Features: A magnetic clasp secures this weighted heating pad around your neck and shoulders. You can choose between moist and dry heat settings, and an automatic shutoff feature keeps you safe if you fall asleep while using it or forget to unplug before leaving the house.
- Considerations: This heating pad really is designed for use around your neck and shoulders. The unique shape means that it may be harder to use on other areas of your body. Sunbeam, which manufactures this product, is not currently BBB accredited.
Best weighted heating pad with massage
- Price: $$$
- Features: This heating pad has the same capabilities as the Sharper Image Calming Heat Massaging Weighted Heating Pad (mentioned above), but with vibrating jade stones. These stones add an extra level of deep pressure while you enjoy a deep massage from the weighted heating pad. It weighs 4 pounds and has an auto-shutoff that activates after 2 hours of use.
- Considerations: There’s currently no medical literature to support that jade stones offer a better massage than other materials, but some massage professionals swear by jade’s healing properties.
Best weighted heating pad for a large area
- Price: $$$
- Features: This product is designed for full-body use. It’s 13 pounds, so it provides steady, light compression for your legs, torso, or wherever else you might want to use it. The glass beads used to weigh the blanket down are BPA-free, and there are four heat settings. As a bonus, you can use this blanket as a decorative throw if you detach it from the power cord, or you can store it in the bag it comes with.
- Considerations: If you’re looking for more intense pressure, you might want to consider a more traditional weighted heating pad. You also can’t throw this blanket in the washer, and the fluffy, soft cover isn’t removable. Keep in mind that Pure Enrichment currently has one review on Trustpilot and isn’t BBB accredited.
Best weighted heating pad for travel
- Price: $$
- Features: This option is smaller and lighter than some heating pads, which makes it great for travel. There are three temperature options, and this model heats up within 30 seconds. It also has an auto-shutoff that activates after 2 hours of use.
- Considerations: This weighted heating pad is most suited to target smaller, localized areas of your body, like your knee or upper back. More than 1,000 reviewers say it works just like they hoped. If you’re looking for deeper pressure, or if you need a pad that gets extremely warm, you might do better looking elsewhere.
Best weighted heating pad for cramps
- Price: $$
- Features: This weighted heating pad is super soft for those days when you really need an extra layer of comfort. It’s also made with BPA-free, nontoxic glass beads. It lays flat, so you can use it on your lap, stomach, upper back, or anywhere else. The cord is detachable and nearly 6 feet long, which gives you a ton of versatility. With more than 4,000 reviews and an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, it’s one of the highest-rated heating pads you can buy on Amazon.
- Considerations: Keep in mind that this product is spot-clean only, so you can’t take the cover off to clean it. It also comes with a 5-year warranty.
Before looking for a weighted heating pad, you’ll want to determine your preferences. Consider asking yourself the following questions before you shop:
- Do you need a weighted heating pad that can be used for pain in different parts of your body, or is it primarily for use on your neck and shoulders?
- Are you looking for a weighted heating pad that offers a massage function? If the massage function isn’t a must, you can probably find one at a cheaper price.
- Are you the only person using the weighted heating pad? If your family members or loved ones are sharing with you, it might be best to choose something that’s easy to clean.
- Are there safety features that you need in a weighed heating pad? What about materials? Not all weighed heating pads use BPA-free materials, nor do they always have an auto-shutoff feature.
Once you know the answers to these questions, you can look for the product that ticks all of your boxes.
Weighted heating pads may provide relief from pain and muscle stiffness from injuries or chronic pain conditions. But these types of heating pads might not be enough to manage daily, chronic pain.
Research doesn’t tell us much yet about how the pressure aspect of these types of heating pads might contribute to pain relief. Your best bet is to identify your must-haves in a weighted heating pad before you start shopping around.