Tired of cereal for breakfast? Need a change from your usual lunchtime sandwich routine? How about a fast dinner option that’s both nutritious and satisfying?
Grain bowls are a quick and delicious way to liven up breakfast, lunch, or dinner for your whole family. By serving the meal in a bowl, you can easily bring together all of the ingredients, combining flavors and textures. A soft-boiled egg crowns the dish, and when you slice into it, the golden yolk becomes a silky dressing.
Eggs are loaded with protein, and so is quinoa. Though other grains, such as rice or couscous, will work, quinoa is a high-protein ancient grain that adds a delicious nuttiness to your bowl. Use tricolor quinoa and add some bright produce — we chose heirloom tomatoes and fresh spinach — for a colorful dish that looks as delightful as it tastes.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Eggland’s Best.
- 1 cup tricolor quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced, fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, divided
- 4 Eggland’s Best large eggs
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear; drain and place in a large saucepan.
- Add 2 cups cold water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Combine 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, rosemary, and 2 tbsp vinegar. Add to cooked quinoa; stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, fill a saucepan half-full of cold water; bring to a boil.
- Gently add eggs and simmer 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and run under cold water until cool enough to handle; peel eggs.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook chickpeas and tomatoes until tomatoes begin to soften and release their juices, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add spinach; cook and stir just until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide quinoa evenly among four bowls and top with tomato mixture.
- Top each bowl with a soft-boiled egg; cut egg in half just before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Amount per serving