Some people believe that crystals, such as quartz and obsidian, may each have specific healing properties that benefit your mind, body, and soul.
You’ve probably heard people talking about and showing off these beautiful stones. But you may not know what they have to offer — if anything.
There are several different types of crystals. Some people believe they have healing abilities for the mind, body, and soul.
Many ancient cultures — including ones in Egypt, Greece, and China — believed that crystals have healing properties.
Some people claim that crystals promote the flow of good energy and help rid your body and mind of negative energy for physical and emotional benefits. They believe certain crystals benefit your sleep, help you manifest your desires, and add an additional healing element to reiki.
But it’s important to note that almost no scientific evidence supports the use of crystals or other forms of energy healing.
Crystals have largely been dismissed as pseudoscience, although some studies suggest they may offer a placebo effect.
An older study presented at conferences in 1999 and 2001 but not published in a peer-reviewed journal suggested that any healing benefits associated with crystals were most likely a result of the power of suggestion.
The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) notes that complementary health practices such as mindfulness and meditation
Still, some people believe it goes deeper than that.
“Crystals are made up of different elements or compounds, which our bodies react to in different ways,” says Sonali Saujani, a crystal master healer. “Crystals are minerals that hold energy, and as we as humans are made up of energy, we can exchange energy with the crystal when we work with it.”
Saujani points out that crystals are used to improve the function of many everyday objects, like watches, plugs, hospital equipment, and lasers.
She cites a 2008 study that states that “quartz can act as a flint to start a fire or generate electricity.”
“If a crystal can be piezoelectric [contain electric charge], I am sure it can do so much more. They balance out electric currents and keep equipment from exploding,” says Saunjani. “In the same way, when it comes to crystals and our body, all they’re doing is balancing out the frequency of the electromagnetic currents in our body.”
Although science doesn’t support crystals as a healing modality, there’s no harm in giving them a try if you have realistic expectations about what they can and can’t do. Crystals should never replace medical treatment from a qualified professional.
To help you get started, we compiled a comprehensive roundup of some of the most popular crystals.
Healing crystals for health
- Clear quartz: a clear crystal considered a master healer and believed to support the entire energetic system
- Jasper: a nurturing stone said to provide support during times of stress
- Obsidian: believed to help process emotions and experiences and aid in letting go
- Amethyst: used for healing, purifying, and enhancing willpower
- Bloodstone: said to improve circulation and provide support to blood-related issues
Healing crystals for wealth
- Tiger’s eye: said to provide motivation and lessen fear
- Citrine: believed to spark enthusiasm, creativity, and concentration
- Turquoise: thought to soothe emotions and attract good luck
- Sapphire: known as a stone of prosperity
- Jade: another well-known stone for prosperity and luck
Healing crystals for love
- Rose quartz: sometimes referred to as the stone of love and believed to encourage love and trust
- Moonstone: said to prompt feelings of inner strength and growth
- Ruby: believed to support sexuality and sensuality
Want to dive into crystal lore? Get the details below.
Some consider this white crystal to be a master healer.
It’s said to:
- amplify energy
- aid concentration and memory
- help balance your energetic system
People often pair this stone with others like rose quartz to aid and enhance their abilities.
Obsidian is believed to be an intensely protective stone.
It’s said to:
- shield against physical and emotional negativity
- get rid of emotional blockages
- promote the qualities of strength, clarity, and compassion
- help you find your true sense of self
This stone may also help you digest experiences, emotions, and baggage, freeing you from negative blockages.
Just as the color may suggest, this pink stone is all about love.
It’s said to:
- help restore trust and harmony in relationships
- enhance connection
- provide comfort and calm during times of grief
- encourage love, respect, trust, and self-worth
Who couldn’t use some of that?
This smooth crystal is known as the supreme nurturer.
It’s said to:
- empower the spirit
- support you through times of stress by preparing you to show up fully
- protect you from and absorb negative vibes
- promote courage, quick thinking, and confidence
These are traits that are extra helpful when tackling important issues.
Bring joy, wonder, and enthusiasm to every part of your life with citrine.
It’s said to:
- help you release negative emotions like fear and doubt
- encourage optimism, warmth, motivation, and clarity
- enhance mindfulness qualities
- encourage creativity
- support concentration
This blue crystal is said to help heal the mind, body, and soul.
It’s also said to:
- be a good luck charm
- help balance emotions
- support spiritual groundedness
When it comes to the body, it’s said to represent the respiratory, skeletal, and immune systems.
This purple stone is said to be incredibly protective, healing, and purifying.
It’s also said to:
- help rid the mind of negative thoughts
- bring forth humility, sincerity, and spiritual wisdom
- promote willpower and healthy choices
- aid sleep and demystify dreams
This golden stone may be for you if you need a power or motivation boost.
It’s said to:
- help rid your mind and body of fear, anxiety, and self-doubt
- guide you to harmony and balance
- help you make clear, conscious decisions
This can be beneficial for career aspirations or even matters of the heart.
Moonstone is known for ushering in new beginnings.
It’s said to:
- encourage inner growth and strength
- soothe feelings of stress and instability when embarking on new ventures
- help you move forward successfully
- promote positive thinking, intuition, and inspiration
- support success and good fortune
This powerful healing stone lives up to its name.
Bloodstone is believed to:
- draw off negative environmental energies
- encourage circulation of ideas and energy
- promote selflessness, creativity, and idealism
- reduce irritability, aggressiveness, and impatience
Symbolically, bloodstone is associated with blood and blood-related bodily processes, like menstruation.
This blue stone is one of wisdom and royalty.
It’s said to:
- attract prosperity, happiness, and peace
- opening the mind to beauty and intuition
- help with clear seeing
- promote a positive mood
This striking red stone is a real standout.
It’s said to:
- restore vitality and energy levels
- promote sexuality and sensuality
- support intellectual pursuits
- bring self-awareness and recognition of truth
First things first: Identify what you feel you’re missing before looking into what the stones can provide you. This will help you determine what’s happening within yourself before depending on outside sources.
From there, just let your intuition choose what’s best for you.
Whether a crystal catches your eye or you feel a pull toward one, your inner subconscious can help guide you to the crystal that’s right for you.
Once it’s picked out, you can create the connection you need.
When you first bring your crystal home, experts say you’ll want to cleanse away any negativity it may have picked up.
Depending on the kind of stone, you can:
- hold it under cold, running water
- immerse it in sea salt
- place it in sunlight or moonlight
- smudge your crystal with sage or other herbs
Make sure you do your research before getting your crystal wet. Some stones become toxic or dissolve when immersed in water. Check the Mohs Hardness Scale to determine whether your crystal will disintegrate in water.
It’s not just about their physical care, though.
For crystals to work their magic, experts suggest mentally clearing negative energies or any skepticism you may have about their capabilities. According to believers, respecting what crystals can do for you is important.
Many people believe the main benefit of crystals is their metaphysical abilities. But if we’re being perfectly honest, they’re also really beautiful.
It’s no surprise that people make tons of accessories out of them, like jewelry or home decorations. Not only do they look nice, but a little extra positive energy doesn’t hurt anyone.
Crystal prayer or mala beads are worn against the heart or on the wrist to inspire positive feelings, whether it be hope, courage, or peace. They’re a great way for anyone to carry around the healing powers of crystals.
Prayer beads can also be used during meditation to count repetitions of mantra, or sacred chanting. Practitioners use the main, or guru, bead to keep count.
Wearing them as jewelry can incorporate crystals into your daily routine and wardrobe. From rings to necklaces to earrings, there are plenty of options.
It also allows you to showcase each stone’s natural beauty.
You can find stunning coasters made from genuine gemstones. Ones made with agate stone are believed to help promote balance and harmony within the home. This is ideal for those who want to bring good energies into their abode.
Crystal sex toys are designed to mix their metaphysical energies with your sensual ones. They’re great tools for those who want to try something new with a crystal-infused twist.
Just be sure to skip the yoni eggs.
Believe it or not, you can even smoke from crystal hand pipes. They’re smooth, easy to use, and sturdy. This makes them a great gift for anyone who uses cannabis.
Cute water bottles are just as trendy as crystals, so it’s no surprise they have merged into one.
Crystal-infused water bottles contain a “gem pod.” It’s said to promote everything from wellness and beauty to balance, though their actual benefits are up for debate.
It’s important to buy crystals that are authentic and ethically sourced. Many crystals are overmined, contributing to social and environmental issues in their countries of origin.
Crystals sometimes take thousands of years to form, which means there are only so many to go around.
Ask your crystal seller how their crystals are sourced. They may even be able to provide a certificate of authenticity for very rare crystals.
The best options for buying crystals
- small independent shops where you can see, feel, and ask questions about the product
- retailers who provide a certificate of authenticity for rare crystals
- retailers who provide information on how their crystals are sourced
- retailers with realistic price points, since cheaper isn’t always better
The following includes frequently asked questions about healing crystals.
What crystal is best for healing?
The type of crystal you choose for healing may depend on the healing you need. Experts recommend clear quartz and amethyst for general healing.
What are the top 7 healing crystals?
The seven healing stones correspond to the colors of the seven chakras. While some stones can vary, a popular combination includes green fluorite, amethyst, red jasper, tiger’s eye stone, sodalite, rock quartz, and red aventurine.
What is the best crystal to wear every day?
Clear quartz is believed to be a universal healer and may help balance your energies.
What do different healing crystals do?
Some people believe that different healing crystals have energies that can have specific benefits for your mind and body. For example, crystals said to benefit health include clear quartz, jasper, obsidian, amethyst, and bloodstone. Experts note that others, including sapphire and jade, promote prosperity while citrine supports creativity. They believe others, like moonstone, rose quartz, and ruby, promote love.
If you’re skeptical about these healing crystals, they likely won’t do you any good. They’re unlikely to do you any harm, though. While there’s no scientific evidence for crystals, that hasn’t stopped people from trying them.
An open mind is key to obtaining the positive qualities these beautiful stones can offer. Whether it’s overall good energy you want or specific healing powers, there’s nothing wrong with giving crystals an honest try. Who knows — you might be pleasantly surprised.
Emily Rekstis is a New York City–based beauty and lifestyle writer who writes for many publications, including Greatist, Racked, and Self. If she’s not writing at her computer, you can probably find her watching a mob movie, eating a burger, or reading an NYC history book. See more of her work on her website, or follow her on Twitter.