Healthline Eats is a series looking at our favorite recipes for when we’re just too exhausted to nourish our bodies. Want more? Check out the full list here.
Over the years, I’ve come to realize that my anxiety mostly stems from work-related issues. In these moments, I try and manage my anxiety by continuing to work at a steady pace — but this can mean giving up time I would normally set aside to eat. It’s also quite common for me to lose my appetite altogether when my anxiety spikes.
In both cases, having any kind of food is the furthest thing from my mind.
I finally realized that what works best for me is a smoothie! The recipe I look to hits all the marks for me: it’s quick and straight-forward to make, packed with nutrients to keep me nourished, cool enough to give me a jolt of energy, and I can drink it mostly hands-free (thank you straws!) so I can eat while I continue to work.
Chia Seed Green Smoothie
- 2 cups of whatever frozen tropical fruit medley you have
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 handful of spinach or kale
- 2/3 cup liquid of your choosing (oat milk, almond milk, coconut water, etc.)
- Throw all the ingredients into a blender and blend!
- Pour into glass or cup and drink immediately.
Kathryn Chu is a software engineer at Healthline.