Healthline Eats is a series looking at our favorite recipes for when we’re just too exhausted to nourish our bodies. Want more? Check out the full list here.
As someone who’s prone to pendulum-like emotional swings, I’m sometimes too drained to do basic things for myself (unless that thing can happen from the comfort of my bed). It’s on these days that cooking sounds especially tedious.
Of course, not eating only makes everything worse. Low blood sugar is the last thing your body needs when your emotions are getting the best of you.
Below is one recipe that I can always pull myself out of bed for, but takes little effort to prepare. It’s hardy, delicious, and straight-forward to throw together. I also love it because it’s very rare that I don’t have all the necessary ingredients in my fridge.
Bagel, cheese, avocado, and egg sandwich
- 1 egg
- 1/2 bagel
- cheese, sliced
- cream cheese
- 1/8 avocado, sliced
- butter or oil
- red onion, sliced thinly (optional)
- hot sauce of your choice
- salt and pepper
- Heat up a pan on the stove to medium heat and add a thin slice of butter.
- While it’s heating up, toast the bagel half using a toaster or toaster oven.
- When the pan starts to sizzle, crack the egg into the pan and add salt and pepper.
- Once egg white no longer looks gooey, flip the egg (gently!).
- Place cheese slices on top, then cover the pan with a lid and turn off heat to melt the cheese (sometimes it can be helpful to add a few drops of water to the pan to create steam).
- When bagel pops up, spread with cream cheese and add onion slices if desired.
- Place fried eggs on top, add avocado slices and hot sauce, and you’re done!
Ginger Wojcik works on Healthline’s production team. She loves surfing, writing, and breakfast — in that order. Follow more of her work on Medium.