For people with penises, infertility can look like low or no sperm, problems with ejaculating, or an unusual shape (morphology) or movement of the sperm.
At-home test kits
In particular, the Ro Sperm Kit is an at-home testing kit that comes with at least 1 year of sperm storage service.
Here’s what you need to know about the Ro Sperm Storage and Fertility Kit, alternative at-home semen analysis kits, and other related questions.
The Ro Sperm Kit is a sperm testing and storage service certified by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). Ro, a direct-to-patient healthcare technology company, offers the kit to people with penises.
Ro’s mission is to make healthcare more accessible and convenient to penis owners. A
- The kit provides free sperm storage in the first year.
- It’s FDA-approved and CLIA certified.
- You can consult with a registered nurse. They will explain the results of your semen analysis, answer your questions, and discuss next steps.
- You get free overnight return shipping when you drop the kit off at any UPS location during the day.
- Your semen sample is tamper-proof and secured with two-factor authentication — third parties cannot access your sample.
- Although storing your sperm is free, you have to pay $299 to withdraw it. You can, however, decide never to withdraw it.
- Keeping your sperm costs $99 each year after the first.
- You cannot get a sperm analysis without using their 1-year sperm storage service.
Ro sperm kits are for people who want to test and cryopreserve their sperm for future use without leaving the comfort of their homes.
Ro warns that “a semen analysis alone cannot be used to predict fertility.” If you’d like to understand your fertility status, consider consulting with a healthcare professional.
Ro is a digital healthcare company that provides access to healthcare services for people without insurance.
Roman is Ro’s telehealth service dedicated to men. They can help with your:
- weight management
- sexual health
- hair and body care
- daily healthcare
- mental health
- skin care
Ro, meanwhile, offers sperm testing and a storage subscription. You’ll receive a sperm analysis report, and your sperm will be preserved. They don’t work with those who want to donate sperm or access donor sperm.
The Ro sperm kit comes in two options:
- Semen analysis and storage ($199). This kit covers the storage of three vials of sperm and a semen analysis report.
- Semen analysis and additional storage ($599). This kit covers the storage of nine vials of sperm and a semen analysis report.
The Ro sperm kit is only available for purchase on the Ro website. You cannot get it from third-party retailers like Amazon and Target.
To use the kit, you’ll need to:
- Order your kit. You can order their at-home semen kit from their website. When the kit gets to you, register it using the unique ID at the bottom of the cup.
- Collect your sample. Take your sample by masturbating in the cup until you ejaculate. Ro advises avoiding lubricant, but you can use fertility-friendly options if you need to. Any sperm account that you ejaculate is enough for testing and storing. However, Ro suggests not ejaculating for 3 days before using the kit.
- Preserve your sample. Ro instructs users to keep the sample at room temperature. After locking it into the box, push the button on the lid to release the preservative.
- Return the kit back to the lab. From there, you can return the kit to their partner lab, New England Cryogenic Center (NECC). Drop it off at any UPS location on a weekday for free overnight shipping.
- Get your results. When the sample arrives at the lab, a technician will analyze your sample and test your sperm count, concentration, and motility. You’ll receive your semen analysis report via email within 48 hours. You can also speak with a registered nurse to discuss your results and next steps.
Storing your sample
Your sample will be separated into three vials and stored at the NECC for free in the first year. You can withdraw it at any time for $299. You can continue to preserve it after the first year for $99.
Even if your sample is more or less than three vials, the site’s FAQs page states that “any amount can certainly still be frozen and viable.”
- herpes types 1 and 2
- hepatitis C
Ro does not provide any information regarding what happens if you test positive for an STI and whether they’re still able to store your sample.
Ro Sperm Kits are CLIA certified and FDA-approved at-home semen tests for checking the viability characteristics of sperm cells.
You may not want to rely on a sperm analysis to know your complete fertility status. A
If you’d like to get a more in-depth analysis of your fertility and sperm count, consider talking with a doctor to learn more.
Ro does not offer a sperm analysis report without at least 1 year of storage. If you decide to store your sperm and want to withdraw it, you send an email to email@example.com to coordinate delivery with the medical facility. They do not specify whether there are any charges associated with this transaction.
The Ro sperm storage service also allows you to cryopreserve your sperm at their CLIA certified partner lab to raise your future fertility options.
- are undergoing vasectomy, other related birth control treatments, cancer therapy, or gender affirming surgery
- are at risk of injury or death
- have deteriorating sperm quality
According to the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority, you can store your sperm for up to 55 years.
Ro is a nationally recognized healthcare technology company. They provide telehealth and at-home care, diagnostics, labs, and pharmacy services.
Ro acquired Dadi, a fertility company, in 2022. Then, they converted Dadi at-home fertility test and sperm storage kits to Ro sperm kits.
Dadi has a 3.8- out of 5-star rating from 101 reviews on Trustpilot. Previous purchasers reported enjoying a seamless experience ordering the kit, using it, and interacting with their customer service.
Others report late delivery times after ordering the kit and poor customer service.
The Ro Sperm Kit uses two-factor authentication so that third parties cannot access your sample.
The sperm samples are securely cryopreserved at NECC, a pioneering cryogenic lab facility existing since 1971. This lab facility has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This rating is the BBB’s perception of the company’s relationship with their clients.
Although Ro Sperm Kits are a good option, here are three other alternatives to consider.
This at-home semen test is an FDA-cleared test kit that allows you to receive a semen analysis without leaving your doorstep.
You have to order the Home Sperm Kit, which comes with two test kits delivered in discreet packaging. You can then download their app, which takes you through how to take your test.
You’ll receive your results in 10 minutes with a live video of your sperm that you can share with a healthcare professional, family, and friends.
The test kit costs $89 and does not come with sperm storage.
Yo Home Sperm Test is an FDA- and CE-cleared at-home fertility test. It allows you to receive semen analysis without visiting a lab or shipping your samples.
To use the Yo Home Sperm Test, you can order any of their kits:
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x2 ($79.95) comes with 2 tests.
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x4 ($99.95) comes with 4 tests.
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x6 ($118.96) comes with 6 tests.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x1 Cycle ($99.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for one cycle.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x2 Cycles ($169.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for two cycles.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x3 Cycles ($224.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for three cycles.
When it arrives, you can take the test and receive your result all in the comfort of your home by following the instructions on the YO Home Sperm Test app.
Your result is indicated by a YO Score. According to the website, the higher your YO score, the greater your chances are of achieving pregnancy within a short period. You can share your result and the video with a doctor.
Legacy offers at-home sperm testing and storage services for people who’d like to learn about and improve their sperm health and preserve their sperm. The sperm analysis measures sperm volume, count, motility, and concentration.
To use their service, you will:
- Order the kit from their website. Your delivery will arrive within 24 hours.
- Register your kit with your CLIENTID to keep your samples private and secure before taking your sample.
- After you take your sample, the Legacy team will pick it up from your home and take it back to their lab facility.
- You’ll receive your semen analysis report within 3 business days. You can consult with a fertility expert to discuss your results.
They’ll preserve your sperm in their cryogenic lab facility if it passes their post-thaw semen analysis.
Their services are available in four packages:
- For Today ($195) covers 1 sperm analysis.
- For Today with Same-Day Results ($280) covers 1 sperm analysis, and you get your results on the same day.
- For Tomorrow ($995) includes 2 semen analyses, 1 DNA fragmentation analysis, and 5 years of semen preservation.
- Forever ($3,995) covers 3 semen analyses, 2 DNA fragmentation analyses, and lifetime semen preservation.
|Ro||$199–$599 depending on the kit||The kit uses 2-factor authentication and your sperm is preserved in a CLIA certified lab.||The free 1-year storage costs $99 for each additional year.||3.8- out of 5-star rating from 110 reviews on Trust Pilot|
|myLAB Box||$89||You can take your test and receive your test result from your home. Your account on the app is private to you, and you can choose to share your results with a doctor.||No sperm storage is available.||4/9- out of 5-star rating on the website|
|Legacy||$195–$3,995 depending on the kit||You’ll receive your test kit on your private dashboard, which complies with modern privacy standards. The sperm testing is carried out in a CLIA certified lab.||You can store it monthly for $14.95, annually for $145, and every 5 years for $595.||4.9- out of 5-star rating on Google|
|YO Home Sperm Test||$79.95–$224.99depending on the kit||You can take your test and receive your test result from your home. Your account on the app is private to you, and you can choose to share your results with a doctor.||No sperm storage is available.||4.3- out of 5-star rating from 4418 reviews on Amazon|
Ro recommends avoiding ejaculating for 3 days before collecting your sample.
They also recommend checking your full STI status before taking your sample. It’s not mandatory, but this is because many fertility clinics require proof of a negative STI status before starting fertility treatment involving preserved sperm.
According to the
- being in a larger body
- excess alcohol and drug use
Sperm health can also be affected by exposure to:
- high temperature for the testes — for example, from frequently using a wheelchair, sauna, or hot tub
- certain medications
- certain environmental toxins like pesticides, lead, cadmium, or mercury
However, a slightly atypical result does not indicate infertility.
If you want to get a better understanding of your fertility status, consider visiting a doctor. They can look at your semen analysis, health history, and other factors that may have an impact on your fertility.
You can also visit a doctor if you and your partner have been trying to get pregnant for at least 1 year and have not yet conceived.
How accurate is the Ro Sperm Kit?
Do mail-in sperm test kits work?
However, you’ll need an expert to interpret your results. You may also want to visit a doctor for a better understanding of your fertility health.
At-home sperm test kits offer a quick, convenient, and discreet way for penis owners to better understand their sperm health.
The Ro Sperm Kit, in particular, puts your sperm health in your hands and allows you to understand your future fertility options.
However, if you have any concerns, talk with a doctor. Sperm test kits cannot replace regular check-ins to check on your fertility.
Frances Gatta is a freelance healthcare writer with experience writing on general health, women’s health, healthcare technology, mental health, and personalized nutrition. You can connect with her on Twitter and LinkedIn.