at a glance
- Humana Medicare supplement (Medigap) plans help you pay Medicare coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles.
- Humana Medicare supplement plans A through G have higher premiums and lower out-of-pocket medical costs.
- Humana Medicare supplement plans K through N have lower premiums but higher out-of-pocket medical costs.
- You can enroll in Plan C or Plan F only if you were first eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020.
Some people who are enrolled in original Medicare (Part A and Part B) also have a Medicare supplement plan to help them pay their portion of Medicare costs. These plans can make it easier to predict what your medical expenses will be each year.
Medicare supplement plans, which are sometimes called Medigap policies or plans, are required to offer the same categories of coverage nationwide. Some insurers offer extra benefits as well.
Humana, one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, sells Medicare supplement plans A, B, C, F, G, K, L, and N.
However, not every one of these plans is available in every market.
The basic benefits offered by each plan are standardized nationwide, with the exception of:
These states structure their supplemental plans differently.
Here’s an overview of what each plan offered by Humana covers.
|Plan A||Plan B||Plan C||Plan F||Plan G||Plan K||Plan L||Plan N|
|Part A coinsurance and hospital costs up to 365 days after Medicare benefits are used||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||$50 copay for emergency room visits|
|Part B coinsurance/copays||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||50%||75%||$20 copay for medical office visits|
|First 3 pints of blood||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||50%||75%||yes|
|Part A hospice coinsurance/copays||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||50%||75%||yes|
|Skilled nursing facility coinsurance||no||no||yes||yes||yes||50%||75%||yes|
|Part A deductible||no||yes||yes||yes||yes||50%||75%||yes|
|Part B deductible||no||no||yes||yes||no||no||no||no|
|Part B excess charges||no||no||no||yes||yes||no||no||no|
|Medical care outside the United States||no||no||yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes|
|2021 out-of-pocket limit||no||no||no||no||no||$6,220*||$3,110*||no|
*Plans K and L pay 100 percent of your costs after you meet the deductible for the year.
Humana Medicare supplement plan extra benefits
Each Humana Medigap plan offers different benefits, so check the plan documents to find out whether the benefits that matter to you are included in plans you’re considering.
Extra benefits that some of Human Medicare supplement plans offer include:
All Humana Medicare supplement plans cover your Medicare Part A coinsurance, including coverage for an extra year of hospitalization beyond what Medicare covers.
Here’s a breakdown of the plans:
- Plan A. Plan A includes coverage for Medicare Part B coinsurance, copays, cost of blood if a transfusion is necessary, and hospice care copays and coinsurance.
- Plan B. This has the same coverage as Plan A but also covers your Part A deductible.
- Plan C. Plan C is the same coverage as Plan B but adds coverage for your Part B deductible and up to 80 percent of your costs for medical care when you’re outside the country. This plan is available only to those who were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020.
- Plan F. Similar coverage as Plan C but also covers Part B excess charges. Plan F’s high-deductible option has a lower premium cost, but the plan won’t begin paying your costs until you’ve met the annual deductible. This plan is also only available to those new to Medicare before 2020.
- Plan G. Plan G offers the same coverage as Plan F, but without coverage for your Part B deductible. It’s a good option for those seeking maximum coverage but are not eligible for plans C or F.
- Plan K. Plan K pays up to 50 percent of your costs after you meet the deductible and has low monthly premiums.
- Plan L. This plan pays up to 75 percent of your costs after you meet the deductible and also has low monthly premiums.
- Plan N. Plan N offers the same coverage as Plan A but also pays many of your Part B costs with only a few small copays.
Costs for Humana Medicare supplement plans can vary based on:
- your age
- your gender
- where you live
- whether you are eligible for a preferred or standard rate
- whether you opt for a Value plan or a Healthy Living plan
- whether your plan requires you to meet a deductible before your benefits begin
With a Humana plan, you may be eligible for discounts on your monthly premium. Humana offers discounts for:
- households where more than a single person enrolls (5 percent off per month)
- people who enroll as soon as they are eligible for Medicare (up to 39 percent off per month)
- those who pay monthly premiums through automatic bank drafts ($2 off per month)
Here are some monthly premium rates in four different cities to help you get a sense of the costs. The rates below are based on a range of preferred and standard plans for a 67-year-old female who doesn’t smoke.
|Chicago, IL||Phoenix, AZ||New Orleans, LA||Los Angeles, CA|
|Plan B||not offered||$262.27–$391.11||not offered||$151.72–$225.77|
|Plan C||not offered||$326.16–$486.62||not offered||$192.68–$287|
|Plan F; high-deductible Plan F||$275.14–$354.49; $92.27–$115.79||$332.17–$496.51; $88.93–$131.96||$201.68–$231.64; $57.15–$65.41||$196.57–$292.81; $50.16–$73.97|
|Plan G; high-deductible Plan G||not offered||$321.30–479.23; $84.26–$124.95||$151.46–$173.89; $56.60–$64.79||$158.54—$235.98; $45.19–$66.56|
|Plan L||not offered||$201.03–$299.55||not offered||$116.67–$173.38|
Each plan is different. So, to get an accurate cost, you’ll need to use the online search tool and enter your age, gender, and ZIP code to personalize your quote.
To compare benefits and costs of Medicare supplement plans in your area, you can use Medicare’s plan comparison tool.
Are there any Medigap plans Humana doesn’t offer?
Humana doesn’t sell plans D or M. It’s also important to note that Humana doesn’t sell every plan in every state.
Are there any costs or services Humana Medicare supplement insurance doesn’t cover?
Medicare supplement plans don’t provide prescription drug coverage. To obtain prescription drug coverage, you’ll need to enroll in a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan.
As of January 1, 2020, plans that cover Part B deductibles can no longer be offered. This means you can enroll in plans C, F, and high-deductible F only if you were eligible for Medicare before 2020.
Most Humana plans don’t cover excess charges on Part B healthcare services. That means if your physician or healthcare facility charges more than Medicare allows for a service, you’ll have to pay the excess charges on your own.
If I have a Humana Medicare supplement insurance plan, will I still need Medicare parts A and B?
Yes. Medicare supplement policies only help you “fill in the gaps” of your cost-sharing requirements — they don’t offer full health insurance benefits. You can only enroll in a Medicare supplement insurance plan if you’re enrolled in original Medicare (parts A and B).
Medicare requires you to share the costs of your healthcare. Medigap plans are private insurance policies that help you pay your part of Medicare’s:
Although Medicare requires insurers to offer standardized benefits in each plan, not every plan is offered in every state.
To find out which plans Humana and other insurers offer near you, you’ll need to use the search tool on the insurance company’s website or Medicare’s plan comparison tool. You may need to enter some of your health and age information to get an accurate quote.
Humana Medicare supplement plans — like all Medigap policies — are available only to people enrolled in original Medicare (Part A and Part B).
So, if you have a Humana Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plan or a Medicare Advantage plan with another insurer, you won’t be able to enroll in a Medicare supplement plan.
Humana offers Medicare supplement plans nationwide, but it doesn’t offer every plan in every area. These policies can help you plan for medical expenses by covering Medicare coinsurance, copays, and deductibles.
Humana’s Medicare supplement plans vary in cost depending on:
- your age
- your gender
- the area where you live
They may offer extra benefits, such as:
- dental and vision care
- special discounts on prescriptions and other health products
- fitness memberships
- health savings plans
- access to its 24-hour nurse line
When you’re deciding whether to enroll in a Medicare supplement plan, take time to review the benefits each plan offers so you can choose a plan that fits both your budget and your healthcare needs.