- You can apply for Medicare online using the Social Security website.
- The application is completely free.
- You don’t need to sign any forms or submit any documents.
- You can check your application status at any time.
You can apply for Medicare without needing to visit a Social Security office or make any phone calls.
The Medicare application on the Social Security website allows you to apply completely online. In most cases, you won’t need to sign anything or send in any supporting documents.
The application is completely free. Once you apply, you’ll be able to check on the status of your application at any time.
You can use the online application to apply for just Medicare Part A or for Medicare parts A and B. Together, parts A and B are called original Medicare.
You can apply for Medicare online by visiting the Medicare section of the Social Security website.
You’ll need to create a My Social Security account before you can fill out the application. You might already have a My Social Security account, but if you don’t you can set one up in just a few minutes.
The application will ask you for the following information:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your Social Security number
- any current health insurance you have, including Medicaid
- the country you were born in if it wasn’t the United States
Once, you’ve submitted your application you’ll receive a confirmation number in your “My Social Security” account. Social Security will contact you directly if more information is needed to process your application.
You can get multiple parts of Medicare by applying online:
- Part A. Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. You can apply for Part A online using the Social Security website.
- Part B. Medicare Part B is medical insurance. You can apply for Part B and Part A on the same application. You can also apply for Part B online using the Social Security website if you already have Part A.
- Part C. Medicare Part C is sometimes called Medicare Advantage. You need to have Medicare parts A and B before you can enroll in Medicare Advantage. You can then enroll in a plan in your area using the Medicare website.
- Part D. Medicare Part D is prescription drug insurance. Just like Part C, you’ll need to be enrolled in Medicare parts A and B before you can pick a Part D plan. You can then enroll in a plan online using the Medicare website.
- Medicare supplement insurance (Medigap). Medigap plans are optional coverage you can purchase to help cover the out-of-pocket costs of Medicare. You can apply for a Medigap plan online after you’ve enrolled in parts A and B.
So, your first step to getting any part of Medicare is to apply for original Medicare (parts A and B).
Once you’re enrolled in original Medicare, you can shop for Part C, Part D, and Medigap plans. The plans available to you will depend on where you live, since many plans are only offered in specific cities, states, or regions.
How do I apply for Medicare Extra Help?
Medicare Extra Help is a program to help Medicare members with limited incomes pay the costs of Medicare Part D. You’ll need to be enrolled in both original Medicare and Part D to apply.
You can apply for the Extra Help program using your My Social Security account. The Extra Help application can be completed online.
You’ll need to provide some recent information about your income, such as:
- pay stubs
- bank statements
- tax returns
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits statements
- investment account statements
You can check on the status of your Medicare application at any time using your My Social Security account. You can use the confirmation number you received when you submitted your application.
You’ll be able to see when your application has been received, is processing, and is approved. You can also call Social Security at 800-722-1213 to check on your status.
You’ll receive a decision letter in the mail when Social Security is done processing your application.
You’ll also receive your Medicare card in the mail, as long as your application was approved. It generally takes less than a month from the time you apply to the time you receive your card in the mail.
- You can apply for Medicare online using the Social Security website. The application is completely free.
- You’ll need to create a My Social Security account if you don’t already have one. Your account will let you apply for Medicare online and check your status at any time.
- You’ll need to apply for original Medicare (parts A and B) before you can apply for any other part of Medicare.
- Once Social Security approves your original Medicare application, you can enroll in additional coverage.