at a glance
- EmblemHealth is a not-for-profit insurer that sells Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans.
- EmblemHealth currently serves 3 million members in the New York and tristate area.
- Different plan options offer various levels of coverage, and plan costs can vary by coverage and your location.
EmblemHealth is a not-for profit health insurer that sells Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans in New York City, Long Island, Westchester County, and some upstate regions. These plans are sold under the EmblemHealth name.
EmblemHealth also owns and operates several other companies. These include ConnectiCare, an insurer that sells Medicare Advantage plans in Connecticut.
New Yorkers can choose from several EmblemHealth Part C plans. However, not every plan is offered in every county or has the same level of coverage.
Like all HMOs, EmblemHealth’s plans require you to choose from a specific list of in-network providers for care. HMO-POS plans offer more flexibility here, but typically cost more per visit for out-of-network providers.
Your deductible, monthly premium, and copay amounts will vary based on the plan you choose and the county where you live.
Many EmblemHealth plans cost $0 per month; however, any premium for Part C is added to your Part B monthly premium. Copays typically average between $0 to $50, depending on your plan and the service.
Next, we’ll provide an overview of what each EmblemHealth Medicare Advantage plan offers.
EmblemHealth HMO plans
EmblemHealth offers the following HMO plans:
- VIP Essential (HMO). This plan includes comprehensive coverage for dental, vision, hearing, and acupuncture, as well as SilverSneakers fitness benefits.
- VIP Gold (HMO). This plan includes comprehensive coverage for dental, vision, hearing, acupuncture, and SilverSneakers.
- VIP Gold Plus (HMO). This plan covers everything VIP Gold does, but you’ll pay $0 for many medical services, including visits to your primary care physician (PCP), specialists, and urgent care.
- VIP Part B Saver (HMO). This option offers a $500 annual savings on your Part B premium, plus optional supplemental riders for added dental coverage and SilverSneakers.
- VIP Passport (HMO). In most areas, this plan has a higher monthly premium than other EmblemHealth HMO plans. If you regularly see an acupuncturist, though, this plan may be a good choice: It covers the cost of 20 acupuncture visits. It also covers preventive dental, SilverSneakers, hearing aids, and vision care.
- VIP Value (HMO). This plan has a $0 monthly premium, option to add SilverSneakers and/or comprehensive dental benefits at a low cost. You’ll pay some costs when going to the doctor and you’ll have a yearly eyewear allowance.
EmblemHealth HMO-POS plan
EmblemHealth offers one HMO-POS plan: VIP Go (HMO-POS).
This plan provides in-network and out-of-network access to providers, with no referrals needed. It also includes coverage for comprehensive dental care, vision services, hearing aids, and SilverSneakers.
EmblemHealth HMO D-SNPs
Dual Eligible SNPs (D-SNPs) are for people who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
Your costs for each plan will vary based on your level of assistance through Medicare’s Extra Help program.
Some plans cost $0 for all covered services. Others may require copays and a monthly premium.
The D-SNPs offered by EmblemHealth vary by location but always include prescription drug coverage. They are:
- VIP Dual (HMO D-SNP). This plan covers comprehensive dental, vision, hearing aids, SilverSneakers, and up to 48 acupuncture visits. It also includes a $1,500 over-the-counter Medicare card in certain counties.
- VIP Dual Select (HMO D-SNP). This option includes comprehensive dental, hearing aids, vision, and a $600 over-the-counter Medicare card.
- VIP Solutions (HMO D-SNP). This plan includes preventive dental, vision care, and hearing aids.
EmblemHealth offers several stand-alone prescription drug (Part D) plans in most of New York state and in many other states throughout the country.
These plans include VIP Rx and VIP Rx Plus. Both have a $0 copay for preferred generic prescription drugs and varying costs for medications on other tiers.
The deductibles and monthly premium costs for EmblemHealth Part D plans vary by location.
EmblemHealth Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans are available throughout most of New York state, although not every plan is offered in every area. In some of the northernmost parts of the state, including St. Laurence County, EmblemHealth offers only Part D prescription drug plans.
The plans offered and their costs may vary based on your ZIP code.
Some of the covered services include:
- inpatient hospital care
- annual physical
- limited home healthcare
- clinical research expenses
- hospice care
- limited skilled nursing facility care
- emergency ambulance services
- outpatient preventive and medically necessary services
- durable medical equipment such as mobility scooters, blood sugar monitors, and hospital beds
- screenings for conditions including diabetes, heart disease, HIV, mental health, and certain types of cancer
- substance misuse screenings and counseling
- smoking cessation counseling
- pneumonia and flu shots
Most EmblemHealth plans also include extras, such as:
The county where you live will determine the monthly premiums, copays, and coinsurance you pay for an EmblemHealth plan.
The table below highlights some of the costs you may see for a few EmblemHealth plans in many New York counties:
|Monthly premium||PCP copay||Specialist copay|
|EmblemHealth VIP Essential (HMO)||$0||$0||$45|
|EmblemHealth VIP Part B Saver (HMO)||$0||$25||$50|
|EmblemHealth VIP Gold Plus (HMO)||$302||$0||$0|
|EmblemHealth VIP Go (HMO-POS)||$72||$10 in network; $10–$100 out of network||$45 in network; $10–$100 out of network|
Part C plans are available from private insurers, such as EmblemHealth. Where you live will determine the plans you can buy, as well as their costs.
By law, each plan must cover the medical services covered by original Medicare. Many also include additional coverage, such as Part D prescription drug plans and dental care.
Part C plans usually have an in-network list of medical providers and suppliers you’ll need to use to ensure maximum coverage.
You can search and compare Part C plans by ZIP code here.
EmblemHealth is a nonprofit insurer that sells Medicare Advantage plans throughout most of New York state.
EmblemHealth’s Medicare Advantage plans cover all the services original Medicare does. Most also cover dental care, vision care, and hearing aids.
Plan holders can also access a 24-hour nurse-operated hotline.
The information on this website may assist you in making personal decisions about insurance, but it is not intended to provide advice regarding the purchase or use of any insurance or insurance products. Healthline Media does not transact the business of insurance in any manner and is not licensed as an insurance company or producer in any U.S. jurisdiction. Healthline Media does not recommend or endorse any third parties that may transact the business of insurance.