Inpatient CT scans are typically covered by Part A, and outpatient CT scans are typically covered by Parts B and C. Medigap can help decrease out-of-pocket costs.

Medicare will cover any medically necessary diagnostic tests you need. This includes computed tomography (CT) scans.

Your exact coverage will depend on where you have the test and which Medicare part covers it.

Part A is hospital insurance. It covers the care you receive during an inpatient stay at:

  • a hospital
  • a skilled nursing facility
  • another inpatient facility

This includes any tests your doctor orders during your stay. So, if you receive a CT scan in the hospital, Part A will cover it.

In this situation, the cost of a CT scan will go toward your Part A deductible. In 2024, the Part A deducible is $1,632 for each benefit period.

Once you’ve met this deductible, Part A will cover all tests and procedures during your stay, with no coinsurance costs during the first 60 days of hospitalization.

Part B is medical insurance. It covers outpatient care at multiple types of healthcare facilities, such as:

  • doctor’s offices
  • urgent care centers
  • health centers
  • outpatient clinics
  • outpatient labs and testing facilities
  • surgical centers

Part B will cover your CT scan no matter which outpatient setting you have it in. You’ll have coverage as long as the facility participates in Medicare and the CT scan is ordered by a doctor.

The Medicare website has a tool for checking which facilities and providers participate in Medicare in your area.

After you meet your Part B deductible — $240 in 2024 — Medicare will pay 80% of the approved cost of your CT scan. You’ll be responsible for the other 20%.

All Part C plans cover CT scans. However, many Part C plans have networks.

You might pay much higher costs for leaving your plan’s network. In some cases, you won’t have any out-of-network coverage, even if the facility participates in Medicare.

The deductible and any copayment or coinsurance amount will depend on your specific plan. If possible, contact your insurance company ahead of time to get an estimate of how much this test will cost.

Medigap is supplemental insurance that you can buy to cover your out-of-pocket costs from Medicare. Depending on your Medigap plan, you may be able to get coverage for your:

  • Part A deductible
  • Part B deductible
  • Part A copays and coinsurance
  • Part B copays and coinsurance

That means that Medigap would cover any costs associated with your CT scan that would typically be your responsibility.

Medigap plans have a monthly premium on top of your Medicare Part B premium. So, while you’ll pay more each month, the costs will be covered when you need a service like a CT scan.

Part A will cover your CT scan if you have it during an inpatient hospital stay, and Part B will cover it when you have it as an outpatient. Part C will also cover a CT scan, but you’ll typically need to stay within your plan’s network.

If Medicare doesn’t cover your CT scan and you think it should, you can file an appeal. An appeal will give you several chances to explain why the CT scan was medically necessary and see whether Medicare will cover it.