- You can get Cigna Medicare Advantage vision coverage by enrolling in a Cigna Advantage plan in 2020.
- Vision coverage is part of many Cigna Medicare Advantage plans.
- Your cost will be based on where you live and which plan you choose.
You depend on your eyesight for many of your daily activities. If you wear prescription eyeglasses, keeping your prescription accurate and up to date is an important part of your healthcare needs.
Cigna Medicare Advantage vision coverage gives you access to vision and eye services, including annual eye exams, prescription eyeglasses, and contact lenses.
Vision coverage is part of most Cigna Medicare Advantage plans. These all-in-one plans will cover your basic hospital and medical needs, as well as prescription medications. They also offer added benefits like hearing and dental.
Most Cigna Medicare Advantage plans offer vision and eye care. These benefits cover a number of vision and eye services, such as:
- one routine eye exam each year
- eyeglass frames, usually one set of frames per year
- prescription lenses or bifocal lenses
- contact lenses
- diabetic retinal exams
- glaucoma screenings
- cataract surgery
Coverage and copay rates vary between plans, but most offer affordable coverage that lowers your out-of-pocket vision care costs.
Cigna Medicare Advantage plans are different in each state, so before you enroll, carefully compare benefits, vision coverage, deductibles, and maximum coverage amounts for eyewear. Cigna’s Health Maintenance Organization (HMO), Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), and Private Fee-For-Service (PFFS) plans can all offer vision and eye services.
Your costs for any Medicare Advantage plan will depend on where you live and the plan you choose.
Here are some of the 2021 costs for Cigna Medicare Advantage plans in a few different cities:
|City||Cigna Medicare Advantage plan|
|Monthly premium||In-network maximum out of pocket|
|Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO)||$0||$6,200|
|Cigna Premier Medicare (HMO-POS)||$25||$5,700|
|Cigna True Choice Medicare (PPO)||$0||$6,950|
|Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO)||$0||$3,450|
|Cigna Premier Medicare (HMO-POS)||$0||$4,500|
|Cigna True Choice Medicare (PPO)||$0||$4,400|
|Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO)||$0||$4,200|
|Cigna True Choice Medicare (PPO)||$0||$6,800|
|Denver, CO||Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO)||$0||$4,200|
|Cigna True Choice Medicare (PPO)||$0||$5,900|
You can compare premium rates and additional benefits using the Medicare plan finder tool. Simply enter your ZIP code to compare the plans offered in your area.
To be eligible for Medicare coverage, you must meet the following criteria. You must be:
- a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- over age 65
- an adult under age 65 with a disability or chronic illness
You can enroll in original Medicare through the nearest Social Security office. Make sure you get both parts A and B to be eligible for vision coverage.
The best time to apply for Medicare is during your initial enrollment period, which starts 3 months before your 65th birthday and continues for 3 months after.
After you’ve enrolled in original Medicare, you’re eligible for Cigna Medicare Advantage vision coverage.
Cigna Medicare Advantage plans differ from state to state. You can compare premium rates and benefits using the Medicare plan finder tool. Enter your ZIP code to see plans offered in your area.
When you’re ready to enroll in a Cigna Medicare Advantage plan, fill out a form online or get assistance over the phone.
When can I apply for a Medicare Advantage plan?
If you’re planning to enroll in Medicare Advantage, you’ll need to know several enrollment deadlines and dates:
- Initial enrollment period. This is a 7-month window around your 65th birthday when you can sign up for Medicare. It begins 3 months before your birth month, includes the month of your birthday, and extends an additional 3 months after your birthday. During this time, you can enroll for all parts of Medicare without a penalty.
- Open enrollment period (October 15–December 7). During this time, you can switch from original Medicare (parts A and B) to Part C (Medicare Advantage), or from Part C back to original Medicare. You can also switch Part C plans or add, remove, or change a Part D plan.
- General enrollment period (January 1–March 31). You can enroll in Medicare during this time frame if you didn’t enroll during your initial enrollment period.
- Special enrollment period. If you delayed Medicare enrollment for an approved reason, you can later enroll during a special enrollment period. You have 8 months from the end of your coverage or the end of your employment to sign up without penalty.
- Medicare Advantage open enrollment (January 1–March 31). During this period, you can switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another or go back to original Medicare. You cannot enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan if you currently have original Medicare.
Does original Medicare include vision coverage?
Original Medicare (parts A and B) covers basic medical and hospital care but does not include vision or eye services such as routine eye exams.
However, Medicare Part B does cover some eye care, such as cataract surgery.
For adults with diabetes, original Medicare also pays for the cost of an annual eye exam to monitor diabetic retinopathy. Services include yearly glaucoma tests, too.
Does Cigna cover vision care?
Your Cigna Medicare Advantage plan likely covers most vision and eye services. You’ll have a yearly max to spend on eyeglass frames, prescription lenses, and contact lenses. Your coverage will also include annual eye exams.
Does Cigna Medicare Advantage cover cataract surgery?
Medicare Advantage plans are required to provide at least the same basic coverage offered under original Medicare. Since original Medicare covers cataract surgery, Cigna Medicare Advantage plans must cover this as well.
Make sure to go to doctors and facilities that are in your plan’s network to ensure coverage.
Can I add vision to my Cigna Medicare Advantage plan?
Vision coverage comes in many of Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans. After enrollment in original Medicare parts A and B, you can sign up for a Cigna plan with added benefits such as vision, dental, and hearing coverage.
- Some Cigna Medicare Advantage plans cover vision and eye care.
- You plan costs will depend on your ZIP code and the plan you choose.
- Some vision services are covered by original Medicare if you meet specific requirements, such as having diabetes. If not, you’ll need to purchase extra vision coverage.