at a glance
- Baycare offers Medicare Advantage plans to Florida residents in the Tampa Bay area and central Florida region.
- Baycare Medicare Advantage plans include Part D prescription drug coverage.
- Baycare’s BaycarePlus Rewards program reduces the cost of your Medicare Part B premium.
- BayCare Health System has been serving the Tampa Bay area and central Florida region since 1997.
BayCare Health System is a nonprofit hospital and medical care system serving the Tampa Bay area and central Florida region. In addition to its network of providers, the system offers four Medicare Advantage plan options.
Plans are branded as BayCarePlus and include coverage for prescription drugs. BayCare’s plans offer a low-cost option and some do not charge deductibles or premiums.
Let’s find out more about where these plans are offered, what services are provided, and how much they may cost.
BayCare offers different Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) types of plans. An HMO is a health insurance plan that uses a set network of providers. Networks include all providers you might see, including visits to:
- doctors’ offices
- physical, speech, and occupational therapists
- long-term care facilities
- outpatient care centers
You’ll need to use providers who are part of the network to have your care covered. If you see a provider who isn’t part of your plan’s network, you’ll likely be billed for the entire amount.
HMO plans make an exception for emergency care. In the case of a medical emergency, your care will be covered — no matter where you receive it.
All of BayCare’s Medicare Advantage HMO plans include Part D coverage for your prescription drug costs. However, you cannot buy a separate Part D plan through BayCare.
BayCare is a local provider that only offers Medicare Advantage plans to residents of Florida. The company serves the Tampa Bay area. Medicare Advantage plan offerings vary by county, so enter your specific ZIP code when searching for plans where you live.
BayCare Advantage plans provide all the coverage of original Medicare (parts A and B) and include several additional features.
Plans from BayCarePlus offer a range of benefit options and price points.
Your coverage will depend on which plan you choose, but all plans include:
- coverage for preventive care visits
- prescription coverage
- health screenings
- seasonal vaccines
- SilverSneakers membership
- preventive dental care
- low-cost routine vision care
Additional benefits from some of the higher-cost plans include:
- transportation to and from up to 16 doctor’s appointments a year
- comprehensive dental care
- reimbursement for over-the-counter medications
- hearing screenings and services
Medicare Advantage plans have their own costs in addition to the costs of Medicare parts A and B. When you purchase a Medicare Advantage plan, you always pay the Part B premium and then add on any premium for the Medicare Advantage plan.
However, the BayCarePlus rewards plan provides a discount of $113 per month off your standard Part B premium in 2022.
Some of BayCare’s plans are available with no premium and no deductibles for medical care and prescriptions.
You can see a breakdown of common costs for some of BayCare’s plans in different areas in the table below.
|Location||Plan||Monthly premium||Health deductible, drug deductible||Primary care copay, specialist copay||In-network out-of-pocket max|
|St. Petersburg, FL||BayCarePlus Complete (HMO)||$0||$0, $0||$0, $15||$3,500|
|Port Richey, FL||BayCarePlus Rewards (HMO)||$0||$0, $0||$0, $35||$4,500|
|Lakeland, FL||BayCarePlus Premier (HMO)||$34||$0, $0||$0, $10||$2,800|
Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans are offered by private insurance companies through contracts with Medicare. They are required to provide all the same coverage as Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Medicare Part B (medical insurance), which are also called original Medicare. This includes:
- doctor’s visits
- specialist visits
- therapist visits
- home medical equipment
- hospital stays
- home healthcare
- hospice care
- emergency care
Like most Medicare Advantage plans, BayCare plans also offer additional coverage beyond what original Medicare provides.
However, not all plans are offered in all areas. For example, BayCare plans are only available in certain areas of Florida. Even with large companies that serve multiple states, prices and offerings will be different depending on the ZIP code where you live.
You can search for plans and prices in your area using a tool on the Medicare website.
- BayCare offers HMO Medicare Advantage plans that include Part D coverage to residents of certain Florida counties.
- Plans are available at a low cost, and some have no premiums or deductibles.
- BayCarePlus Rewards offers a $113 monthly reduction on the standard Part B premium.
- The added benefits of these plans include a fitness membership, dental care, and vision care, among other perks.