Medical Alert is a company that sells and services their own line of emergency medical alert products, such as home and mobile systems.
The brand appeals to customers looking for an affordable option to stay safe in their homes and is popular among people over age 65. People with decreased mobility due to a health condition may also be interested in this type of product.
Ahead, we took a look at what Medical Alert offers, who the products are best for, as well as the pros, cons, and standout features.
What is Medical Alert?
Medical Alert manufactures and provides service for medical alert systems.
The systems have a button that you can wear on your body like a necklace or bracelet. The button is on a pendant and works as a two-way communication system.
The idea is that it can be pressed in the event of an emergency. If you fall and have trouble getting up or are unable to get to your phone, the button can connect you with emergency medical help.
The button can also contact a trusted friend or loved one.
Medical Alert products are produced by a company called ConnectAmerica, which is based in Pennsylvania and has been in business for several decades. ConnectAmerica also owns LifeAlert.
Medical Alert offers two product lines: a home system and a mobile system. The home system is the cheaper option and can be hooked up via a landline or a cellular connection, while the mobile system relies on a cellular connection only.
There is also a fall detection necklace, which is offered with every Medical Alert purchase.
How we researched Medical Alert
When researching Medical Alert products, we aimed to answer the following questions:
- Do the Medical Alert products provide the services they claim to?
- Are customers happy with their experience with Medical Alert?
Like all Healthline reviews and roundups, this article incorporated our brand vetting process and looped in our medical review team to evaluate product claims, brand reputation, and the medical accuracy of what this company advertises.
We read through dozens of reviews on independent consumer websites, including Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). We also took into account what Medical Alert offers in comparison to their competition in the medical alert system space, as well as whether they offer a good value of goods and services for the price.
Medical Alert products and services
- Price: $19.95 per month for the annual plan
- Key features: wearable necklace or pendant; option to choose landline or cellular connection, optional fall alert
The medical alert home system is meant to be used whenever you’re in your home. It can be set up with a landline or cellular connection. It comes with your choice of a wearable waterproof pendant or bracelet.
If you need help at any time, you can press the button on the device to initiate two-way communication with a response specialist. If you’re unable to answer the specialist, they will immediately dispatch medical assistance to your home.
The system provides 800 feet of range from the easy-to-setup base. The system has a 30-hour battery life if your power supply fails or if it gets unplugged.
The home system further connects you with your loved ones via an app. The app includes GPS tracking on the person using the system, pings loved ones if emergency services are initiated, and tracks the battery life of your Medical Alert device.
- The monthly payment is affordable compared with those of other medical alert systems.
- The pendants and bracelets are water-resistant, so you can use them in the shower.
- A live operator is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
- The fall alert feature costs extra.
- Price: $39.95 per month for the annual plan after a $49 programming fee
- Key features: base/charging station stays in your home while you take the wearable emergency button with you on the go; optional fall protection can be purchased as an add-on
This system offers all the same features as the home system, but it’s designed for use on the go. The device allows you to call for help and speak directly into your waterproof pendant or bracelet, and it has built-in GPS tracking. If you press the button and the person on call can’t establish contact with you, they’ll dispatch emergency help to you automatically.
The mobile system can also be used in conjunction with the app and fall detection necklace.
- No long-term contract is required when you sign up.
- You can take it on the go — there’s no need to be concerned about distance from the charging station.
- A live operator is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
- The fall alert feature costs $10 extra per month.
- There’s a $49 programming fee.
Medical Alert accessories and add-ons
- Fall detection ($10 per month): The fall detection necklace is an optional add-on that can be used with either system. It has sensors that can detect any sudden force or change in pressure and will automatically connect with the Response Specialists to make sure you’re OK. According to the brand, the necklace also contains an algorithm that helps tell the difference between a fall and a false alarm.
- Lock box: This weatherproof lock box is only available to purchase with the home or mobile systems. The website doesn’t state how much it costs and only offers it as an add-on.
Comparing Medical Alert products
|What it’s best for
|$19.95 per month
|aging in place
|can’t be used on the go, but may be a good option for people who are unable to leave the house
|• backup battery lasting 30 hours
• waterproof emergency button
• U.S.-based 24/7 response team with multiple language options
|$39.95 per month
• associated app may not be easy to use for some
|• built-in GPS
• attractive, discreet wearable device
Pros and cons of Medical Alert products at a glance
- In an emergency, the system connects you with a U.S.-based response team.
- The representatives speak languages other than English.
- No long-term contract is required.
- The service offers affordable monthly payment plans.
- It’s a great option for older adults or people with limited mobility who live alone.
- The fall detection necklace costs an extra $10 per month.
- The service costs more if you pay monthly instead of annually.
- There’s a one-time programming fee ($49) for the mobile system.
- Some customers report difficulty canceling their accounts.
Who should use Medical Alert?
Medical Alert is best for people who would like to age in place, or continue living independently as they grow older. Individuals who are at a high risk of falling due to a health condition may also benefit from having this system in their home.
People concerned about their loved one’s well-being may also get peace of mind from this system.
However, keep in mind that there are many other types of medical alert systems, some of which have different pricing structures, technology, and additional features. Medical Alert offers relatively basic features, which is why the system has a lower price point.
Medical Alert vs. competitors
|Who it’s best for
|Ease of use
|older adults with basic medical alert system needs
|$19.95–$39.95 per month with annual payment plan
|very easy, with the exception of the app, which may not be for everyone
|Bay Alarm Medical
|older adults looking for affordable products that offer a wide variety of safety options and packages
|$24.95–$49.95 per month
|Aloe Care Health
|tech-savvy older adults looking for a comprehensive health monitoring system
|$29.99–$49.99 per month, plus a one time hardware cost that ranges from $149.99–$349.99
|some tech skills required
|One Call Alert
|people looking for a wide variety of individual products
|$31.95–$39.95 per month
Medical Alert has a very poor reputation for taking a long time to issue refunds or flat out not issuing them.
While the company has an A+ rating on the BBB, it’s not BBB accredited, and customers give it 1.11 out of 5 stars. Comments include complaints about refunds and continued monthly payments after cancelation.
Medical Alert doesn’t have many reviews on Trustpilot, but it currently has a rating of 2.8 out of 5 stars.
How to get started with Medical Alert
If you want to try Medical Alert, you can get started with a free trial. You’ll be asked to answer some questions through their website or over the phone so they can recommend a product that works best for your lifestyle.
You’ll need to provide your information and a payment method in order to have the device shipped to you. You won’t be charged until after your 30-day trial period is over.
Frequently asked questions
Is Medical Alert a legitimate company?
Medical Alert is owned by ConnectAmerica, a legitimate business that has been operating for 45 years. They specialize in personal medical communication products for at-home consumer use. Medical Alert is known to provide the services they advertise, including contacting first responders quickly when care is necessary.
Who is the best medical alert company?
There is no best one-size-fits-all medical alert company. The best choice for you or a loved one depends on your needs and preferences.
If you’re looking for a basic medical alert service that will quickly send help in an emergency, Medical Alert provides that at a comparatively low cost. If you’re looking for additional features or fall protection that is included, you may want to look at other companies.
Is Medical Alert covered by Medicare?
The Medical Alert brand is a medical alert system company with two product lines connecting users to emergency services and loved ones when needed. These products also include an app that can keep caregivers and family members connected with your care. They offer these features at one of the lower price points available in the medical alert system space.
When choosing the right medical alert system, be sure to consider your budget and health needs. The products made by Medical Alert are a good fit for some people, but not everyone. If you’d like to get started with Medical Alert, discuss this choice with your loved ones and your healthcare professional.
Kathryn Watson is a freelance writer covering everything from sleep hygiene to moral philosophy. Her recent bylines include Healthline, Christianity Today, LitHub, and Curbed. She lives in New York City with her husband and two children, and her website is kathrynswatson.com.