We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Glasses are easier to obtain than ever. But with so many choices, it can be overwhelming to decide which company is right for your needs. Let’s explore Lensabl, and why their services may or may not be right for you.
Founded in 2015, Lensabl’s initial mission was to sell replacement lenses for frames you already own. Today, they also sell frames and contacts, and they even offer vision benefit plans and online prescriptions. Lensabl is marketed as a cheaper alternative to traditional glasses purchases.
- With a virtual try-on option, you can upload a photo to see how the glasses will look on your face. (Note: This is not available for all frames.)
- It’s easy to navigate the website.
- Their service is convenient, and their prices are comparable with other online eyewear retailers.
- Lensabl states online vision tests are reviewed by an eye doctor.
- They have occasional offers, such as 15 percent off new orders.
- Lens replacement services have inconsistent results and are a source of most of their low customer ratings.
- They have an F rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Lensabl offers an online vision test to help you renew your eyewear prescription. But note that this test isn’t a comprehensive annual eye exam, and should not take the place of one.
Here are some general estimates for their products:
|Products||Approximate starting prices|
|Eyeglass frames||Single vision prescriptions: $97+|
Progressive prescriptions: $197+
|Eyeglass lenses||Starting at $77|
|Contacts||Starting at $55/box|
|Lensabl+ vision plans||Single vision glasses: $97/year |
Single vision glasses and contacts: $500–$1,000/year
|Online prescription service||$25|
Does Lensabl take insurance?
No. Lensabl does not accept insurance, but if you have vision insurance, you may be reimbursed for the cost of your purchase.
Lensabl’s website is straightforward and easy to navigate. At the top, you’ll see a menu with the five products and services they offer.
If you need help ordering or have other questions, you can email support or chat with a “lens expert” by navigating to the bottom right of the homepage.
The website has lots of information, and it’s arranged in an intuitive, visually pleasing way.
What you’ll need before ordering
Before buying from Lensabl, you’ll need to:
- have a current eyewear prescription
- have a pair of eyeglass frames, but only if ordering replacement lenses
- know which eyeglass lenses you need, whether for single or progressive vision
- be aware of any special considerations, such as if you have astigmatism or need multifocal lenses
Standard shipping is free, and expedited shipping is also available for $20. Lensabl’s website is very vague about shipping times.
For lens replacements, Lensabl says it takes 4 to 7 business days for production. Keep in mind that this 4- to 7-day window starts once they receive your frames. This means that, on average, it will take at least 2 to 3 weeks to receive your lenses. Note that the website doesn’t offer any shipping time specifics beyond the 4–7 business day production time.
According to customer reviews and multiple complaints filed with the BBB, some customers have waited 1 to 2 months to receive their order. Slow shipping and long, unexpected wait times are recurring themes in many of the reviews found online.
Lensabl’s customer reviews and company reputation are — to put it mildly— not great. The company is less than 5 years old, meaning they’re relatively new and may still be finding their footing.
Consumer review website Trustpilot, shows customer ratings that average 2.4 out of 5 stars, which is considered a poor rating.
Customer ratings on Producthunt, another feedback website, average 1.1 out of 5 stars, with reviewers complaining of slow shipping and unresponsive customer service.
By comparison, hundreds of customer reviews on Sitejabber average 4 out of 5 stars.
The biggest issues in all cases seem to hinge around lens replacement services and quality. Based on reviews from multiple sites, Lensabl has inconsistent results with fulfilling shipping times, product quality, and customer support.
If you’re looking for other options for lens replacements, here are a few ideas.
Other lens replacement options
- Overnight Glasses has a number of quality assurance certifications for their business and offers lens replacement services.
- 39DollarGlasses.com offers lens replacements and has an A+ BBB rating.
- LensDirect also offers replacement lenses and has a B rating from the BBB.
- Your local optometrist or optician can assess your frames for lenses, measure and fit them, and do the replacement.
If you have an up-to-date prescription and you’re interested in new glasses or getting better prices on your next supply of contacts, there are lots of options. You can buy from other online retailers, directly from the contacts brand, or through your eye doctor’s office.
Other online eyewear retailers
- EyeBuyDirect offers eyewear for adults and kids. Read more here.
- Eyeconic was started by the health insurance company VSP. They take vision insurance directly. Read more here.
- Warby Parker started operating in 2010 and is a good example of what online eyewear shopping could be. Read more here.
- Zenni is known for their very competitive pricing. Read more here.
Lensabl has a user-friendly website, but their workmanship and customer service are inconsistent, according to multiple reviews.
Glasses are an important medical device, and if you use them every day, you’ll want to be sure you’re getting the quality frames and lenses you need.
Before ordering from an online eyewear retailer, be sure to do your research and browse customer reviews to determine if they’re a good fit for your needs.