We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Optum Store and Healthline are owned by RVO Health. Here’s our process.
Many employers offer health insurance plans with a Health Savings Account (HSA), and if you have an HSA with funds saved up, there are many ways to spend that money. Unlike the money in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), the funds in an HSA don’t expire.
HSAs can offer a good opportunity to stock up on health essentials. If you’re looking for HSA-eligible items to purchase, this guide can help. Although this isn’t a comprehensive list, it provides an extensive look at products you can purchase using your HSA money.
There are a wide variety of useful everyday items you can purchase with HSA money. This isn’t limited to eyeglasses and over-the-counter (OTC) pain relief (though those are great options). You can use your HSA funds to buy select skin care products, menstrual products, home medical devices, and more.
HSA-eligible categories include:
Not everything you might expect qualifies as HSA-eligible, unfortunately. For example, although breast pumps are eligible, baby formula, baby bottles, and baby powder are not. You can use HSA money to purchase things such as sunscreen and medicated lotions, but you can’t typically use it for deodorants, tissues, or bug sprays.
Just about all vision expenses are HSA-eligible. You can buy eyeglasses, contact lenses, contact lens solutions, and pay for eye surgery. However, your options to use your HSA money for dental care are more limited. You can’t spend HSA money on toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, or dentures. However, you can spend HSA money on orthodontic care, such as braces.
The HSA-eligible products we include here are available from various online retailers including Amazon and third-party retailers such as Walgreens, Target, Nordstrom, and more. As long as the product is eligible, you can shop around for the best price. Sometimes it may be best to purchase directly through a brand’s website. Many products are also available at the Optum Store, a marketplace for medications and everyday health and wellness products.
We only include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a tangible benefit. Optum Store and Healthline are owned by RVO Health. Here’s our process for selecting and vetting products.
Let’s explore specific products in several categories that are highly rated and HSA-eligible. If you’re looking for examples of what you can buy with your HSA money, the list below can help.
You can use your HSA funds for most OTC medications such as pain relievers, allergy, cough and cold medications, and more. Some examples include:
- Aleve Pain Reliever and Fever Reducer: This all-day pain reliever is a popular choice for muscle aches. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- GoodSense Multi-Symptom Daytime Cold and Flu: This liquid medication is a generic form of DayQuil. Purchase at the Optum Store or opt for name brand on Amazon.
- Benadryl Ultratab Allergy Relief Tablets: These tablets are a common choice for soothing allergy symptoms. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Major Heartburn Relief Famotidine Tablets: These heartburn tablets should both prevent and relieve heartburn. They’re available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Excedrin Migraine Caplets: These specialty pain relievers can help fight migraine pain. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
First aid supplies
Several first aid supplies, including bandages and hydrogen peroxide, are HSA-eligible. A few options include:
- Curad Compact First Aid Kit: This first aid kit has alcohol swabs and more to help ensure you’re always prepared. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Band-Aid Tru-Stay Sheer Bandages: This box of bandages includes a variety of sizes. Available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Sunmark Antibiotic Ointment: You can help promote healing and prevent infections with this bacitracin first aid cream. Available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Medline Nonsterile Cohesive Bandage: Stock up on bandages that can help you wrap non-serious injuries that require more than a Band-Aid at home. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Medline Hydrogen Peroxide, 3%: Hydrogen peroxide is a multipurpose first aid staple that can be used to disinfect and clean wounds. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
You can use your HSA money to purchase menstrual products, including tampons, pads, period underwear, and menstrual cups. Examples include:
- U by Kotex Click Compact Unscented Tampons: The U by Kotex is a popular compact tampon option known for its comfort. Shop now at Amazon.
- Tampax Pearl Tampons: Another popular brand, Tampax Pearl tampons are available on Amazon.
- Thinx Period Proof Super Hiphugger: Period underwear is a revolution for many who want a more sustainable option. This particular pair is designed to absorb up to two tampons worth of menstrual blood. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- DivaCup Menstrual Cup Model 2: The DivaCup is a silicone cup that can catch and hold menstrual blood and can be worn for up to 12 hours without leaks. It’s available for purchase at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Carefree Breathe Ultra Thin Pads: If you’re still one who prefers a classic period pad, Carefree is a classic brand. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
Select skin care products
HSA-eligible skin care products include:
- Neutrogena Age Shield Face Oil-Free Sunscreen: Protect your face with this SPF 70 sunscreen. Shop now at the Optum Store or in multi-packs on Amazon.
- ReVive Lux Spot Acne Treatment Device: If you’re interested in trying light therapy for fighting acne, this blue light treatment device is HSA-eligible. Available online at the Optum Store or Nordstrom.
- COOLA Tinted Mineral Liplux: This tinted lip balm has SPF 30 sun protection, and the brand gets bonus points for using certified organic ingredients (at least 70%). Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch: Acne patches help draw bacteria and oil to the surface of your skin to promote faster healing. Shop now at Amazon.
- De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment Acne Treatment: This cult favorite product is well known for fighting acne and redness. Shop now at Amazon.
Home diagnostic devices
- SmartHeart Automatic Digital Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor: Invest in a wrist blood pressure monitor to keep track of your blood pressure at home. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Veridian SmartHeart Pulse Oximeter: A pulse oximeter is a convenient way to measure your blood oxygen levels at home — something particularly useful for those with chronic respiratory conditions — but it has also become helpful for those monitoring COVID infections. Shop now at the Optum Store or Walgreens.
- On/Go COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test Kit: You can stay on top of your COVID-19 status with antigen self-tests, arguably now an important staple in our medicine cabinets. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Medline Infrared No-Touch Digital Forehead Thermometer: Ditch under-the-tongue thermometers. A digital thermometer is a reliable no-contact way to check for fevers and monitor the course of infections. Available from the Optum Store or Medline.
- LetsGetChecked Cholesterol Test: This cholesterol test allows you to get lab-certified cholesterol results from the comfort of your home. Shop now at LetGetChecked.
Select parenting essentials
Parents and caregivers can use HSA funds to buy parenting supplies for nursing, monitoring, and more.
- Lansinoh Breastmilk Collector: A manual suction pump and breast milk collector is a godsend for ensuring every drop is collected and avoiding let-down leaks while you nurse. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Elvie Double Electric Breast Pump: Hands-free breast pumps are newer to the scene. For example, Elvie’s wearable breast pump is controlled through a smartphone app for easy use. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon. The Willow 3.0 wearble pump is another reputable option.
- Owlet Dream Sock Smart Baby Monitor: Track your baby’s sleep, breathing, and heart rate with this smart sock monitoring system. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Pedialyte Electrolyte Solution: Pedialyte is a trusted way to help kids prevent dehydration. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon for multi-packs.
- Pipette Mineral Sunscreen Broad Spectrum: This SPF 50 sunscreen by the clean baby and beauty brand Pipette is designed to be lightweight and gentle enough to use on baby’s sensitive skin. Available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
Pain relieving devices
Spend your HSA funds to get medication-free pain relief. Think massage guns, heating pads, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) machines, and more. Some options are listed below:
- Therabody RecoveryTherm Hot and Cold Vibration: These home devices by Therabody are for the knees or the back and core. They combine heat, cold, and vibration so you have multiple pain relief options at your fingertips. Shop now at the Optum Store: knees or back and core.
- Therabody PowerDot Uno Smart Muscle Stimulator: This smart device is a portable TENS machine you can control through an app. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- DMI Therapeutic Moist Heat Deluxe Electric Heating Pad: A heating pad can soothe sore muscles and help relieve stress. Many people swear by moist heat pads — like this one by DMI — over dry heat heating pads. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
HSA money can be used to help treat erectile dysfunction. This includes paying for consultations and prescriptions. You can look into options such as:
- Roman: Roman is an online service that allows you to get digital care and ED medications shipped to your home.
- HIMS: HIMS can prescribe and ship ED medication to you discreetly.
Check out our comparison review of the two brands.
You’ll find a range of HSA-eligible products to help care for your oral health. Examples include:
- iSonic Ultrasonic Denture & Retainer Cleaner F3900: This device helps keeps retainers and dentures clean. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Oralfree Smart Oral Irrigator: Not a traditional flosser? A water flosser can help fill the void and keep your mouth and gums healthy. It can also be a useful device for keeping teeth with braces clean. Shop now at Amazon.
- HONEYBULL Mouth Guard: Protect your teeth from grinding during the night with these mouth guards. Shop now at Amazon.
- Benzodent Dental Pain Relieving Cream: It can be helpful to keep dental pain cream on hand to help treat minor tooth and gum pain. Shop now at Amazon.
- Ulcer Ease Anesthetic Mouth Rinse: This mouth rinse can help relieve ulcers and other mouth sores. Shop now at Amazon.
HSA-eligible purchases on your eye health include buying glasses, contacts, and some additional options below:
- Clear Eyes Maximum Itchy Eye Relief Eye Drops: Eye drops can relieve itchy, red, irritated, and dry eyes — whether the result of allergies or all that screentime. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- TheraTears Dry Eye Therapy Eye Drops for Dry Eyes: You also can re-moisturize your dry eyes with these wetting drops by TheraTears. Shop now at Amazon.
- Biotrue Contact Lens Solution: Keep your contacts clean and moisturized with high quality contact lens solution. Shop now at Amazon.
- Caretouch Lens Wipes: Use these lens wipes to keep your glasses smudge-free. Available at Amazon.
Medical alert devices
Medical alert devices can connect you to emergency service lines when you can’t reach the phone. These devices are HSA-eligible and available from multiple providers. Options include:
Personal protective equipment
Personal protective equipment (PPE) is a broad term that’s been used a lot in the age of COVID-19, but it encompasses all the equipment you can use to keep yourself safe from all types of infections. This includes masks, hand sanitizer, and more. HSA-eligible items include:
- Lysol Disinfecting Wipes: Having disinfecting wipes on hand at home can help give you peace of mind that you’re prepared to handle bacteria and other contaminants. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Germ-X Hand Sanitizer: It’s always a good idea to keep hand sanitizer in your home, car, and office these days. Stock up at the Optum Store or, for a 4-pack, purchase at Amazon.
- Bare Republic Bare Hands Hand Sanitizer Spray: Spray bottle hand sanitizer is another potential choice when you’re on the go. This vanilla coco scented option is a nice break from those others that carry a heavy alcohol scent. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- Honeywell N95 Particulate Masks: Stock up on N95 masks to filter the air around you and help prevent infection during cold and flu season. Available at the Optum Store.
- McKesson Child Size Procedure Mask: These kid-sized masks are colorfully patterned to help kids feel more comfortable in public. Shop now at the Optum Store.
Pregnancy and fertility tests
- ClearBlue Advanced Digital Ovulation Tests: This test can identify the four most fertile days during an ovulation cycle. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Kegg Fertility Tracker and Kegel Ball: Want something more high tech? This smart tracker tests cervical fluid for maximum accuracy. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Modern Fertility Hormone Test: This blood test measures your levels of hormones connected to fertility. Shop now at Amazon.
- Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown: The digital window on this test makes results easy to read. Available at Amazon.
- First Response Test & Confirm Pregnancy Test: This test can detect pregnancy within days of a missed period. Shop now at Amazon.
Learn more about HSA-eligible items and products with these answers to common questions.
What are some HSA-eligible items on Amazon?
You’ll find a large selection of HSA-eligible items on Amazon. You can check the “HSA/FSA” box located on the left side of the screen to see HSA-eligible items in any category.
What over-the-counter products are HSA-eligible?
There are several HSA-eligible OTC products. This includes pain relievers, cold and flu medications, allergy medications, heartburn medication, and even acne products.
What happens to HSA money if it’s not used?
HSA money can be saved from year to year. This is one of the major differences between an HSA and an FSA. The money in an HSA is yours and will remain in your account until you withdraw it, even once you’re no longer with the employer who provided the benefit.
Can you use HSA money for bras?
HSA money can be used for nursing bras or mastectomy bras. It can’t be used for standard bras.
Is body wash HSA-eligible?
For a body wash to be HSA-eligible, it needs to contain certain ingredients. For example, body washes with salicylic acid, like in acne products, are HSA-eligible, but a standard body wash is not.
Are toothbrushes HSA-eligible?
Toothbrushes are not HSA-eligible.
You can use your HSA funds for a variety of everyday essentials. As a rule, items are HSA-eligible if they meet a health need. For example, sunscreen is HSA-eligible because it protects your skin from cancer-causing ultraviolet (UV) light. On many websites, including those of drugstores and sites such as Amazon, you can often check a product’s HSA eligibility before you buy it.