Plump, rounded cheeks give most faces a youthful look, while sagging cheeks often indicate aging, and sunken cheeks are frequently associated with ill health. A fuller face with chubby cheeks is in fashion, and if you want chubby cheeks, you have options.
For example, you could undergo a cosmetic procedure, such as fat transfer surgery, or receive an injection of a dermal filler, such as Voluma. Or you could try some more natural approaches that, although not necessarily embraced by the medical community, many people believe to be effective.
There are a number of natural methods and home remedies trusted by many to get chubby cheeks. Some require a physical action, some require topical application, and some are based on consumption.
1. Facial exercise
Also called “facial yoga,” facial exercises tone the facial muscles for a more youthful appearance. A 2018 study of people doing 30-minutes of facial exercises daily for eight weeks yielded faces that were “firmer and more shaped like a younger face.”
Some facial yoga exercises include:
- Lift the cheek muscles while pursing your lips together and smiling. Then, put the fingers of each hand on either side of your mouth and lift your cheeks by sliding your fingers up to the top of your cheeks. Hold the position for 20 seconds.
- Closing your mouth, fill your cheeks with as much air as they can contain. Hold the position for 45 seconds before slowly blowing the air out.
- Open your mouth into an “O” with your lips over your teeth and smiling. Then put the fingers of each hand on the tops of the corresponding cheek and gently lift and lower your cheeks for a period of 30 seconds.
2. Apply aloe
Among other ingredients beneficial for skin, aloe vera contains the antioxidants vitamin C and vitamin E. For this reason, many people believe that applying aloe to the cheeks has an anti-aging effect.
3. Eat aloe
A study published in the journal Annals of Dermatology showed that women who consumed about a teaspoon of aloe vera gel for 90 days showed improvement in facial elasticity. This may or may not help you get chubby cheeks. Be aware that some people may be sensitive or allergic to aloe.
4. Apply apple
Many consider apples to help the skin maintain a youthful appearance because it has high amounts of:
One of the ways to use apple to get chubbier cheeks suggested by these proponents is an apple “mask.” Grate an apple, rub it on your face, and leave it there for 20 minutes before gently washing the mask off with water.
5. Eat apples
Many people believe that, because they contain antioxidants and vitamins A, B, and C, apples should be eaten regularly to prevent tissue damage. Some claim the collagen and elastin in apples keeps your skin looking soft and plump.
6. Apply glycerin and rose water
Many people suggest that a half-and-half combination of rose water and glycerin rubbed on your cheeks before bedtime will keep the skin clean and hydrated, promoting a youthful appearance.
7. Apply honey
Many believe honey will create a youthful look on the cheeks because of its moisturizing and antibacterial properties. Some suggest making a mask of equal parts honey and papaya paste. Rub the mixture on your cheeks and wait 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
8. Eat honey
Some people suggest that eating 9–10 tablespoons of honey a day will supply, among other nutrients, antioxidants that benefit skin.
9. Apply milk
Because it’s water, fat, and proteins, many people feel that applying milk to the cheeks will clean and moisturize them.
10. Drink milk
Milk contains many nutrients that promote healthy skin:
Many people suggest drinking three cups of milk daily to promote healthy skin.
11. Apply oil
It’s claimed that certain oils rubbed on the skin of the cheeks will moisturize and enrich the skin to promote a rounded, healthy appearance.
Suggested oils include:
- almond oil, which has emollient and sclerosant properties to improve complexion and skin tone
- avocado oil, which is good for chapped skin
- coconut oil, which also protects against UV radiation
- olive oil
12. Apply shea butter
Shea butter has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties because it has a high percentage of:
Some shea butter proponents suggest mixing 2 cups of shea butter with 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar to use as a post-shower cheek regimen. Massage the paste into the cheeks for 5 minutes, let sit for 10 additional minutes, and then gently rinse off with warm water.
13. Nuts and seeds
Proponents of eating nuts and seeds for younger looking skin indicate that their benefit comes from the healthy fats they contain.
- Wear sunscreen. When outside, sunscreen on your face will protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Avoid wearing makeup. Allowing your skin to breathe should help it keep a youthful appearance. Always remove your makeup and thoroughly wash your face before you go to bed.
- Stop smoking and avoid drinking alcohol. These habits can make you look older by causing your skin to lose elasticity.
- Drink water. Keeping your body properly hydrated will help your skin maintain a youthful appearance.
A fuller face with plump cheeks can make you look youthful and healthy. There are many ways to get chubby cheeks, including surgery and injections.
Some people also believe you can get chubby cheeks naturally, although these methods are not proven medically. From facial exercises to direct facial application of natural ingredients, to eating specific foods, there could be a way that is best for you to get chubby cheeks.
Before you try any home remedy, be sure to check with your doctor to make sure that it a safe activity for you to try.