We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Air purifiers effectively clean the air by removing particles like gas, bacteria, and dust. The devices can freshen the air and eliminate odors from cooking, pets, and tobacco smoke.
They may be especially beneficial for people who have a respiratory condition, experience allergies, or live in an area with air pollution.
Certain air purifiers can even help improve indoor air quality. Air purifiers with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters may reduce exposure to particulate matter (PM) like dust mites, which can trigger and intensify hay fever.
Holmes manufactures a range of air purifiers designed to target specific concerns, such as mold, dust mites, and allergens. Read on to learn more about Holmes air purifiers and what features are important for air filtration, so you can decide if they’re worth buying.
How air purifiers help
In addition, other research from 2020 found that using home air purifiers with HEPA filtration for 90 minutes lowered PM 2.5 concentrations by 45 percent. This suggests that home air purifiers can have a positive effect on childhood asthma by reducing exposure to air pollution, including PM.
Holmes is an American company founded by Jordan Kahn in 1982. The company manufactures home environment appliances, such as air purifiers, humidifiers, and fans. Holmes also produces a variety of humidifier and air purifier filters. The products are designed to make homes more clean, comfortable, and healthy.
Holmes air purifiers cost anywhere from $15 to $250, which makes them less expensive than much of the competition.
Holmes air purifier filters cost between $5 and $45. Several air purifier models feature an indicator light or digital display that lets you know when you need to replace the filter. Depending on usage, you’ll usually need to replace carbon filters every 3 to 6 months and HEPA filters every 12 to 18 months. Holmes also offers permanent washable filters.
Holmes air purifiers are covered by a limited warranty. The warranty period is specific to the device and is outlined in the user manual. The warranty covers materials and workmanship defects for all parts, aside from filters and accessories.
To repair or replace a unit covered under warranty, return the device to Sunbeam Products, Inc. You must provide an itemized sales receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.
So, how do you know what to look for in an air purifier and which features are most effective? Some studies have tried to answer just that.
- Look for true HEPA filtration. A
2021 studyadded to existing research by looking at whether portable air purifiers were able to reduce levels of PM or neighborhood ammonia in households in an agricultural area. Findings from this study suggest HEPA purifiers can reduce PM of 2.5 microns or smaller.
- Use activated carbon filtration. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), activated carbon filters eliminate odors and gases, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Choose a thick filter that contains a large amount of activated carbon.
- Pay attention to the clean air delivery rate (CADR). A CADR rating indicates how many particles the purifier can remove and how large of an area it can handle. Select a purifier with a CADR high enough for the intended area.
- Consider photoelectrochemical oxidation (PECO) filters. According to
research from 2018, people who used air purifiers with PECO filters for 4 weeks significantly reduced their allergy symptoms.
Holmes desktop, tower, and console air purifiers are designed to handle a range of room sizes.
The air purifiers use the following types of air filtration:
- Carbon. Holmes carbon filters use baking soda and charcoal to capture larger air particles and pollutants. They eliminate unwanted household odors from smoke, pets, or food.
- True HEPA. True HEPA filters capture airborne particles and pollutants such as dust, pollen, and pet dander. To meet HEPA standards, filters must demonstrate at least a 99.97 percent efficiency rate at trapping particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- HEPA-type. According to Holmes, HEPA-type filters must efficiently eliminate at least 99 percent of airborne particles as tiny as 2 microns. which makes them less effective than True HEPA filters.
Below are two of the best Holmes air purifiers:
This desktop model is designed for medium-sized rooms up to 170 square feet (16 square meters). The device uses True HEPA filtration to trap airborne particles and carbon filtration to eliminate unwanted smells. It features a filter change indicator and three speed settings to adjust the steady flow of fresh, clean air in all directions.
The True HEPA Console Air Purifier is powerful enough to purify large rooms up to 349 square feet (32 square meters). It uses carbon and True HEPA filtration to capture irritants like pollen, dust, and pet dander, making it ideal for people who have allergies or breathing concerns.
The unit runs quietly, has a filter light indicator, and features four speed settings, including a sleep mode.
The official Holmes website provides service information and product details of select air purifiers, including customer reviews. However, it doesn’t list prices, and you can’t purchase products directly from it. Instead, each product listing directs you to an online retailer or allows you to search for a nearby retailer in your location.
You can purchase Holmes air purifiers online and in stores from retailers such as Target, Lowe’s, and The Home Depot. They’re also available from Menards, Walmart, and Amazon.
You can return a product and receive a full refund if the item is received by the Holmes returns department within 28 days. The 28-day period begins the day after your order is shipped. The item must include the original packaging, labeling, and returns form. Customized products are not eligible for returns.
Overall, the company has a positive reputation both in terms of customer service and product quality.
The majority of online reviews are favorable and include positive feedback from customers. Many reviewers mention that the air purifiers provide a noticeable difference to their home’s air quality. Several customers mention that the devices helped relieve allergy concerns and made it more comfortable to breathe.
Negative customer reviews complain that the machines lack power and are too noisy even on the lowest settings. Customer reviews related to device malfunction say that doors don’t hinge properly and can pop open, which causes the machine to shut down.
Pro of Holmes air purifiers
- high quality, inexpensive devices
- good value for money
- use True HEPA and HEPA-type filtration
- effectively improve air quality and reduce odors
- affordable replacement filters
- speed settings, which also allow you to adjust the noise level
Cons of Holmes air purifiers
- run noisy on higher settings
- each Holmes retailer offers different models, which can complicate your search
- the Holmes website only lists select models
Holmes offers a range of high quality, affordable air purifiers that suit different room sizes and target specific filtration needs. A worthwhile investment, Holmes air purifiers effectively improve indoor air quality, which has a positive impact on your health and the cleanliness of your home. For best results, select a model that uses true HEPA filtration.