We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The WinkBed is a popular hybrid mattress made of gel foam plus an innerspring system. It’s designed for people who sleep hot, have back pain, or are looking for low motion transfer (more on what this is in a bit).
If you’re considering The WinkBed but aren’t sure whether it fits your needs, you’ve come to the right place. This article will cover the pros and cons of the original WinkBed mattress, the brand’s reputation, and more.
The WinkBed mattress is a U.S.-made mattress that’s delivered to your door compressed in a box. (It fits in the “bed-in-a-box” mattress category.) Here are a few benefits and drawbacks of this mattress.
- Compatible with a range of bed frames. You can use The WinkBed with a traditional, slatted, or adjustable base.
- Made with quality materials. The mattress includes an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified cover made from a eucalyptus-derived fabric. The foams are CertiPUR-US certified. There are no chemical flame retardants used.
- Comes in four firmness levels. You can choose soft, luxury firm (medium-firm), firm, or plus.
- Limits motion transfer. Motion transfer refers to feeling movement on the mattress. Reviewers say it’s an ideal choice for partners who sleep together but don’t want to be woken up when the one of them rolls over.
- May off-gas. Like most mattresses made with foam, The WinkBed may emit a chemical odor when it’s first unwrapped.
- A little pricey. Depending on the size and firmness level you choose, expect to pay more than you would for other bed-in-a-box brands. The “plus” firmness level also costs an additional $200.
- Some customers complain about customer service. Some reviewers say that the return process wasn’t as easy as they would have liked.
- Heavy. Some reviewers say the mattress is pretty heavy to carry upstairs, or even lift when putting sheets on it.
The WinkBed mattress starts at $1,049 for a twin size before any coupons are applied. That starting price is higher compared to similar bed-in-a-box companies, but certainly not the most expensive option. There are often promotions and coupons you can use to make it more affordable.
Here’s a breakdown of the before-sale prices for each of the six sizes WinkBeds offers for its original mattress:
The WinkBed mattress has a core of individually wrapped pocketed coils for support and motion isolation. The coils are designed to help prevent sagging and offer spinal support.
The pillow top is made of gel-infused foam. Gel foam is often cooler than traditional memory foam. Since the topper is soft, it may also help relieve pressure points. Many reviewers call the mattress “the best of both worlds” because it hits that sweet spot of comfort and support.
The mattress is built with extra edge support. That means there’s more room to lie down since you can sleep up to the edge of the bed. However, some people note that they slip off the edge when sitting on the bed.
You can choose the level of firmness you’d like, which is a huge plus:
- Soft (rated a 4.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale) may be best for side sleepers. The mattress is designed to contour to your body but still hug your spine.
- Luxury firm (rated a 6.5) caters to those who want a medium softness with a pillow top, like at a luxury hotel. Reviewers say it’s got enough support within that it won’t sag.
- Firm (rated a 7.5) is, well, firm without being hard. Sleepers won’t sink into this mattress at all.
- Plus (rated an 8) is best for people with higher body weight. It’s made of high-density foam and has a durable design.
You can purchase The WinkBed mattress from the company’s website or over the phone at 855-WINKBED (855-946-5233).
The mattress does go on sale from time to time. If you’re looking to save on the price, check the website regularly for promotions.
GravityLux is made with a layered, cooling memory foam designed to help enhance comfort while providing support for your spine, hips, and back. It may be a good choice for the sleeper who feels significant discomfort during the night and needs both cushion and support.
EcoCloud Hybrid is made of eco-friendly Talalay latex. Sleepers who prioritize eco-friendly materials may be most interested in this mattress.
While WinkBeds isn’t a Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited business, it does receive a B rating from the BBB.
There are some customer complaints listed on the BBB site (which the BBB says it doesn’t use to determine a company’s rating) that detail personal issues with trying to return the mattress and get a refund.
In these instances, WinkBeds has responded that the customer has been refunded under the return policy, or that they reached out to the customer in an attempt to resolve the issue.
WinkBeds mattresses come with a lifetime warranty.
Reviews on the WinkBeds website are overwhelmingly positive. In fact, there are more than 4,000 5-star reviews, with customers noting how the mattress provides comfort and support, and is kind to pain spots like the back and hips.
Reviewers also enjoy how it doesn’t bounce around a lot, so moving sleeping partners don’t disrupt your sleep.
WinkBeds says it posts all reviews on its website, so you can also see what reviewers who didn’t love the mattress have to say about it.
Some reviewers note that the bed is extremely heavy and that the edges allow you to slide off if you sit on the side of the bed (like when getting dressed).
Some also say the mattress is too firm. However, the mattress does come in several firmness levels.
People who wish to return the mattress usually do so due to back pain, shoulder pain, or hip pain. There are also customer complaints that the bed isn’t as comfortable as expected.
The mattress will arrive compressed and rolled up in a box. The box is shipped via UPS ground, and delivery is free.
Know that if you live upstairs, the mattress won’t be carried up for you. Instead, it’ll be delivered to the ground level of your house or apartment building.
To avoid any issues with this, have a plan about how you’ll get the box (it can be heavy) into your home and to the intended room.
Once opened, the mattress pops up and gets to its appropriate size and shape quickly. You should be able to sleep on it that same day.
However, some customers say the off-gassing odor is initially very strong and off-putting. It dissipates after airing out for a few days.
If you think the smell may bother you, you can unwrap the mattress in another room and allow it to air out before putting it on your bed frame.
Keep in mind that the mattress is heavy, so if you need to move it, be sure you have a helping hand.
WinkBeds offers a 120-night, risk-free trial. If you find that you don’t like the mattress, you can return it during the trial period, as long as you’ve tried it out for at least 30 nights.
At that point, the company will arrange a free pickup and refund your money.
You can also choose to exchange the mattress for a different one. If you go that route, you’ll receive a 60-night trial on the second mattress. You’ll also have to pay a $45 fee.
The WinkBed is a popular mattress choice. It offers the convenience of bed-in-a-box shipping to your door, which can make setup a breeze.
Reviewers say the supportive hybrid design with innerspring coils and a gel foam pillow top makes this mattress comfortable on joints and your back, but still gives you a luxury feel.
Jessica Migala is a freelance writer specializing in health, nutrition, and fitness content. She lives in Chicago with her husband, two young sons, and rescue pup. Find her on LinkedIn or on Instagram.